PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here skilled at creating static aircraft?

Navy Chief
May 11th, 2010, 04:31
I don't have a clue how to create static objects; specifically aircraft.

With the "soon" to be released Razbam Corsair II, I would really like to be able to populate a flight line with SLUFs, and wondered if anyone here would be interested in creating one?

Thanks.

NC

Skittles
May 11th, 2010, 07:43
What is a SLUF?

And static objects are dead easy to make (if you're familiar with Gmax etc).

It's been a while since I've actually done it and I can't remember how, but the process is dead easy, I remember that much. You just have to be much more polygon/draw call conscientious.

dominique
May 11th, 2010, 07:48
Well, a SLUF is either a procreating garden gnome or a A7. In the context I think it's a A7:jump:.

expat
May 11th, 2010, 07:57
The quickest and the way I would do it is to make a second AI version of the Razbam SLUF and then park them at eg KVQQ Cecil Field on the ramp, with a flightplan that has them do only one flight a week in the wee hours, i.e. they will be there most of the time you visit. Looks better than a static librarly object, i.e. as good as the flyable version but could be a strain on fps.

Skittles
May 11th, 2010, 08:01
The quickest and the way I would do it is to make a second AI version of the Razbam SLUF and then park them at eg KVQQ Cecil Field on the ramp, with a flightplan that has them do only one flight a week in the wee hours, i.e. they will be there most of the time you visit. Looks better than a static librarly object, i.e. as good as the flyable version but could be a strain on fps.

Forget 'strain' on FPS, they'd annihalate it lol.

A better idea would be to take the aircraft at an earlier stage in development, where all the little unneccessary extras are added, and use a very basic model as a true static object, retextured as neccessary.

Navy Chief
May 11th, 2010, 08:21
Forget 'strain' on FPS, they'd annihalate it lol.

A better idea would be to take the aircraft at an earlier stage in development, where all the little unneccessary extras are added, and use a very basic model as a true static object, retextured as neccessary.

What about using Kazunori Ito's Corsair II, or the now freeware DSB model as a basis for the AI?

I have no idea if my suggestion is viable. Just wondering.

NC

NoNewMessages
May 11th, 2010, 08:58
I have no idea if my suggestion is viable. Just wondering.

Well, there's only one way to find out. You need a new airport file with proper parking and then the flightplans need to be made. You can go from one AI to see if it works and then build up from there.

Navy Chief
May 11th, 2010, 09:02
Well, there's only one way to find out. You need a new airport file with proper parking and then the flightplans need to be made. You can go from one AI to see if it works and then build up from there.

Oooooh.....therein lies the problem. I have been involved with flight simulation since around 2002. I have NEVER been able to successfully create AI flight plans. No matter how much I have studied it, or patiently attempted the process, I have failed. I gave up a long time ago. I would be satisfied with simply placing static A-7 Corsairs on a flight line.

However, if a future flight simulation convention is held, I would LOVE to see a special tutorial class held on AI! I would definitely attend and take notes!!!!!

NC

Delta_Whiskey
May 11th, 2010, 12:24
i use LibraryCreatorXML available as freeware over at FSDeveloper.com courtesy of Arno

all you need is the MDL file

open up librarycreator and create a new library object
select the desired MDL (mdl's)
and it will compile a BGL for you
drop that into your global scenery
copy in the textures from the MDL (aircraft) into global textures

and then use the scenery creator of choice

the only downfall is that i haven't been able to find the object by simple name
and have to identify and then select it by it's unique GUID instead

Navy Chief
May 11th, 2010, 12:56
i use LibraryCreatorXML available as freeware over at FSDeveloper.com courtesy of Arno

all you need is the MDL file

open up librarycreator and create a new library object
select the desired MDL (mdl's)
and it will compile a BGL for you
drop that into your global scenery
copy in the textures from the MDL (aircraft) into global textures

and then use the scenery creator of choice

the only downfall is that i haven't been able to find the object by simple name
and have to identify and then select it by it's unique GUID instead

Well, I downloaded Library Creator. Then I downloaded Ito's Corsair II. Found the .MDL file, but when I try to use it, I get a message saying it is not a valid .MDL file.............

Dimus
May 11th, 2010, 22:50
I would love to have a static A-7 for my Tatoi scenery. I would paint it in SEAC colours, Greek markings and park it next to the F-5 I already have, outside the HAF Museum. After the retirement of the Greek A-7s one of them is preserved in the Museum.

I have tried to use mdl files for AI aircraft to convert to static but they appear with their gear up and other issues as well. I guess one would have to have the source files to edit in Gmax.

roger-wilco-66
May 11th, 2010, 23:23
Well, I downloaded Library Creator. Then I downloaded Ito's Corsair II. Found the .MDL file, but when I try to use it, I get a message saying it is not a valid .MDL file.............

Above mentioned method works only with native FSX mdls. You can test that with the mdlconverterX from Arno - if the plane shows up after loading the mdl you can convert it to a static scenery bgl (btw, works also with boats and anything else that comes as a mdl).
You also see if it is native fsx model if you find two files in in the model directory - one for the exterior and one for the interior model. Older definitions don't have that.

There is unfortunatly another drawback if you convert dynamic mdls into static bgls. Depending on the keyframe animation sequences bound to the model, you might end up with an aircraft with wheels up and a blurred but non moving moving prop, or things like that.

It would be really nice if developers would release simplified (e.g. lower poly and lower texture size) AI models of their aircraft along with the "big" ones.

Cheers,
Mark