PDA

View Full Version : OK, So NOW I'm a happy camper

warchild
May 11th, 2010, 03:31
I used RW tools to convert the original texture files to dds and to send them to the editor (one at a time ) then after the edit and upon saving, i used RW Tools once again to convert the dds files into railworks format. I did the same procedure for the numbersm which are located one directory higher in system/textures.

I then copied in the sounds from the britkits GP9 which proved to provide a more realistic sound if not quit accurate.

Once those were finished, i used RW tools again to edit the trains physics and increased the dry and wet rail friction each by a tenth of a point ( 0.1).. This provided me with what appears to be near prototypical speeds, but i'm no expert.. At the moment, two DD-40s will pull 50 heavy cars ( as opposed to produce and light weight cars ) at 83 mph up a 0.5% slope.

Yup, i'm a happy camper.. Just too bad what happened to rock island lines, but thats another story.. :)
Enjoy :)..

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/railworks/Screenshot_DD-40A_Final.jpg

txnetcop
May 11th, 2010, 04:18
Very very impressive Pam!!! Lionheart was right...the birthing of a possible developer out of frustration and necessity. Great job
Ted

warchild
May 11th, 2010, 14:29
Thanks Ted :)..
After i failed so miserably on the Class 221 Voyager i needed to do something that was a little bit "easier".. So this was my first baby step into painting.. Turned out that i wnt through and reworked parts of the whole model ::lol:; With new sounds, and new traction, its a completely different train. I can admire what the creator did, as its more complex than i can understand at this time, but ( and I mean NO offense to anyone from ANY country at all ) he wasnt American, and no one understands "Big iron" like we do.. I dont mean any offense like i said, but the western giants shook the ground under you before you could hear them. Thats a Massive amount of power. Compared to the 4-6-6-4, 4-8-8-4, Gas turbines and the Centenials, everything else, including most of our own stuff ( excluding cab forwards ) are tinker toys. You cant simply do a normal set of physics for these guys, and if youve never had a litteral heart massage from just the sound of one of these guys passing by, I dont think its possible to fully appreciate the magnitude of what your creating in railworks.
I dont know if we americans have been blessed or cursed by these big guys, but a few of us have had the fortune to see and feel one of these monsters roll by. Thats something no one from any other country has ever done, unless they were here.

Now, one problem i'm still seeing here, is that each of these engines are composed of litterally two GP-35s stuck together end to end. they are producing 6,500 horsepower in total, so, when i put two of these engines in a lashup, i should be able to pull about one miles worth of cars ( about 100 cars) yet, in railworks, two of these guys in a lashup cant even pull 52 cars. i know that sounds like a lot of cars, but frankly, its just realistic. Out here we sit by the tracks and watch the trains go by. On one train alone, we counted 232 cars. ::LOL: had the automobile drivers backed up for a half mile.. I loved it.. Of course, now days they're running ES-44s through here, and those are equivelent ( kinda ) in power to the Double D's. They'll run Lashups here of three and four engines as a common configuration..
Anyway, i'm babbling.. i could talk all day and night about these monsters ::lol:;..
Take care.
Pam

Henry
May 11th, 2010, 16:51
i often watch the kcs trains from my wifes office
yup 2 trains pull a lot
often there is not enough track in RW to even put them
H

warchild
May 11th, 2010, 20:50
::LOL:: Aint that the truth.. I purchased something they're calling tehachapi pass and its about five miles long and dead ends real fast ::LOL:; good thing it was cheap..

warchild
May 11th, 2010, 21:05
Woo Hooo.. Rock island is Alive and doing fine :) :) :) :)
http://www.rockrail.com

Snuffy
May 12th, 2010, 03:12
Very Pretty Pam!

I'm still bumbling along on route design! :wiggle:

Henry
May 12th, 2010, 07:00
::LOL:: Aint that the truth.. I purchased something they're calling tehachapi pass and its about five miles long and dead ends real fast ::LOL:; good thing it was cheap..
thats freeware
you purchased it?
H

Snuffy
May 12th, 2010, 07:04
thats freeware
you purchased it?
H

Last I knew H, FREE was CHEAP! LOL! :mixedsmi:

Lionheart
May 12th, 2010, 07:10
Nice engines Pam!

:ernae:

Bill

warchild
May 12th, 2010, 14:31
thats freeware
you purchased it?
H

I THOUGHT i purchased it: Thought i paid 6 dollars for it.. Kinda confusing though as i paid out a few 6 and 10 dollar purchases for railworks this month.. maybe i DID get it free.. Just not sure at the moment.. Guess i'm getting senile.. :(

warchild
May 12th, 2010, 14:39
Nice engines Pam!

:ernae:

Bill

Thanks bill.. I've got all the basic colors laid in ( block colors, lines and stripes ) and just need to start detailing it.. I want to change out the sound pack as well. It sounds as if someone stood next to a track with a hand held dictation machine and recorded the train that way.. Not a single bass note at all..
Cab view is a little low. Even though its a VC, the view point is so low you can barely see over the console.. I'll learn how to raise it up..
Gonna Take some time and jump back on the Pasped though. A few days away from it will have given me a fresh viewpoint so i can more clearly see little things i would normally miss if i was at it 24/7. Plus paul is off work for a week starting tomorrow so it'll let us dive deeper into it than i could do on my own..
Pauls other job?? ::lol:: he drives a train ( in real life )