PDA

View Full Version : teaching someone to fly in FSX...what plane would you use?

pilottj
May 10th, 2010, 08:18
Hey folks, I am looking to teach my wife to fly in FSX. What plane would be the best for teaching? I was thinking the Real Air Citabria would be a good one, it is simple, stable with gauges that are very clear and easy to read. And i can set up the panel so its pure VFR Don't want her to stare at the AI like i used to do in my real flight training :) I don't want to teach her in the microlight because I think the flight controls would be counter intuitive. that little FLitemax Ultralight would be a good one too.

What plane would you use to teach someone to fly? Is there a plane that really demonstrates the principals and dynamics of flying?

Cheers
TJ

Lionheart
May 10th, 2010, 08:33
I think the Cessna 172 is the plane of choice. Modern (enough) and has the basic 6-pack of gauges. Cessna's are your primary rental plane usually at Flight Schools and flight clubs, (in America).

Thats my opinion.

jetstreamsky
May 10th, 2010, 08:46
Something with good visibiliy, it's already difficult with being restricted to a screen view and no peripheral vision to judge wings level, horizon etc.

The realair SF-260 might suit, it is more complex than a basic trainer, but it flies properly has all the basic needs (just ignore the complex items). It will react better to inputs than the default aircraft like the cessna which while extremely forgiving is too forgiving it really doesn't teach anything.

Lotus
May 10th, 2010, 08:46
I've taught two people to fly from scratch in FSX, in shared cockpit, and if they, or you, are willing to spend a few extra dollars I recommend the RealAir SF260 for the job. With fast and clear 3D gauges and excellent flight dynamics (especially slipping) it's great. Granted it's a little faster than what most people start real world training with, and I'm sure some would consider it a little complex, having retractable gear and a constant speed prop etc, but you can fly it as if it were a fixed pitch and gear plane. It's also a plane that a student can grow with as their skills improve, eventually getting into spins and light aerobatics or IFR.

A friend in Australia is working on his PPL and we regularly practice in shared cockpit in the SF260 together between his real world lessons, and do his cross country flights in formation the night before he does them for real. It's great fun.

Cheers,

-Mike

Brett_Henderson
May 10th, 2010, 09:23
I'd go at this like I would (have) in real life.

Although many have cut their teeth in something like a Cub, it has one of five traits I'd avoid in a trainer:

1) Tail dragger
2) High performance (greater than 200HP)
3) Constant-speed prop
4) Retractable gear
5) Cowl flaps

The default C172 is simple, stable, and realistic enough for sim-training,, :jump:

cheezyflier
May 10th, 2010, 10:20

Although many have cut their teeth in something like a Cub, it has one of five traits I'd avoid in a trainer:

1) Tail dragger
3) Constant-speed prop
4) Retractable gear
5) Cowl flaps

The default C172 is simple, stable, and realistic enough for sim-training,, :jump:

i dunno, i have heard that the j-3 is the safest of all airplanes, because it can just barely kill you :icon_lol:

Cactuskid
May 10th, 2010, 11:11
Initial flight training should be done in a forgiving aircraft. Like so many others, I learned to fly in a C-152, although my first flying lessons when I was a teenager was in a war surplus Stearman. In FSX, I would vote for the C-172 as the best choice for basic flight training. It is forgiving, and has all the required instruments for basic flight training. The FSX 172 model is really not a bad choice for initial IFR training either...

srgalahad
May 10th, 2010, 12:37

1) Tail dragger
3) Constant-speed prop
4) Retractable gear
5) Cowl flaps

From the FAA....
HIGH PERFORMANCE AND COMPLEX AIRPLANES
Transition to a complex airplane, or a high performance airplane, can be demanding for most pilots without previous experience. Increased performance and increased complexity both require additional planning, judgment, and piloting skills. Transition to these types of airplanes, therefore, should be accomplished in a systematic manner through a structured course oftraining administered by a qualified flight instructor.

A complex airplane is defined as an airplane equipped with a retractable landing gear, wing flaps, and a controllable-pitch propeller. For a seaplane to be considered complex, it is required to have wing flaps and a controllable-pitch propeller. A high performance airplane is defined as an airplane with an engine of more than 200 horsepower.

While the format may not bring agreement from all instructors, the FAA produces a comprehensive guide to learning to fly ( and free for download)
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/
There's got to be a reason the C-150/152, C-172 and PA-28 are the most widely used training aircraft since the 1960's...;)

Rob

pilottj
May 10th, 2010, 12:44
thank you all for your suggestions. :) I myself got my RL wings in a 172 and agree it is a wonderful plane to learn. I might end up starting out in the Citabria, at least for the flying part, straight level, turns, climbs descents. I like the visual and auditory ques in the Realair craft, the buffet noise/visuals would be really handy in demonstrating the stall. And as far as taildraggers go, the Citabria is fairly easy to land. The SF-260 would be an excellent choice after she gets comfortable handling an airplane.

Ideally I would to get her to be able to handle Bill's Kodiak. She is a midwest farm girl who likes trucks and tractors lol so the Kodiak is right up her alley. LOL maybe I could bribe Bill to take the blonde gal passenger in the LT and put her in the pilot seat of the Kodiak. My wife is a blonde :)

Cheers
TJ

Kiwikat
May 10th, 2010, 12:44
Carenado 182Q. :wiggle:

Rimshot
May 10th, 2010, 12:59
Carenado Cessna 152 :ernae:

Naki
May 10th, 2010, 13:25
Carenado Cessna 172 :jump:

warchild
May 10th, 2010, 13:36
The default cub has the handling characteristics of a drunken gooney bird.. my recommendation would be to start her with something that isnt going to fight with her every second of the flight; something that doesnt even require thinking. Just the enjoyment of flight, whiich means minimal instruments and and a forgiving flight characteristic.

Ant's Tiger moth comes to mind, as does the Lionheart Pasped ( Sorry, shameless plug there ) but if you want one plane with some of the best characteristics that can go from zero knowledge of flying to being able to fully understand flight and handling an aircraft, then i think the only recommendation i can give, would be Lionhearts Epic LT Dynasty. There are good reasons why those of us who have it, love it like we do..

kilo delta
May 10th, 2010, 13:38
PMDG 747-400

:d ;)

TeaSea
May 10th, 2010, 14:35
I'm with Lionheart and the rest....Cessna 172.

Has all the basic instruments as well, so after she gets the handling down...she can run off and get lost using the VOR's.

pilottj
May 10th, 2010, 14:42
one advatage of learning in a stick and rudder taildragger like a cub or citabria, its a bit like learning a stick shift first when learning to drive. I think taildraggers require more precise use of the rudder, thus make it easier to teach the techniques. One thing I like about the Citabria too, it has a relatively small instrument panel with all the required instruments, and a large foward view when in flight.

Dexdoggy
May 10th, 2010, 14:44
Carenado Cessna 152 :ernae:
Yep, provides a very realistic and straightforward example!

Milton Shupe
May 10th, 2010, 15:39
FSX comes with a built in Instructor and lessons. If you haven't mastered that then I can see why you would not recommend it. The lessons are logical, easily understandable and doable. Why take any other course of action when this is available. It is great at teaching everything one needs to know flying in FS.

bpieke
May 10th, 2010, 21:37
Yep, provides a very realistic and straightforward example!

One more vote for the Carenado C152 :applause:

expat
May 11th, 2010, 00:07
Hmm, it were MY wife, let's see ..

F7U Cultass?, F-104 Starfighter? :d

Cirrus N210MS
May 11th, 2010, 08:29
carenado Cessna 185 sky wagon

pilottj
May 11th, 2010, 09:05
Yeah I like the 172, I'll show her a variety of styles of planes too, see which one she feels most comfortable in.

Here is a 30 degree bank in both the RealAir Citabria and Carenado 172N, both at default VC view at .50 zoom. Both are fine planes for teaching. They have the same engine and pretty similar performance numbers. :jump: