PDA

View Full Version : Multi engine checkouts and training?

tigisfat
May 8th, 2010, 19:47
It's soooooo much more fun to watch someone else do it. I read the discription, and it's true. It's not that it's the worst thing ever, it's still a great aviation accomplishment, it's just that in constant moderate chop, performing maneuvers to exacting standards while someone constantly fails engines, it's trying. If it's a hot day, you can get a workout fighting a heavy twin with your arms flailing all over the cockpit. I believe that if there were moments where you weren't working hard while doing multi training, you didn't get your money's worth. I remember my instructor constantly making me work.

If you train with an even semi professional school, then you're constantly running checklists between and during maneuvers.

If you've been there and done that, report in!! I'm sure some of you types that've flown heavies like Bone and Ken think this is child's play now....but I still remember it as an accomplishment.

jyKL8ZjZAEs

HflAQu81hUk

Wulf190
May 8th, 2010, 22:59
I remember my checkride in a BE-95 really well. The plane is fantastic!.... when both engines are running, and handling it on one engine in VFR isn't... too.. bad. But try doing a single engine ILS when your examiner fails the critical engine on you when your half way through the procedure turn! When I got back on the ground, my seat was a wet rag, the examiners on the other hand... dry as a sun bleached bone....

Ken Stallings
May 9th, 2010, 08:50
Actually, most pilots who have flown the heavy iron will tell you that flying single engine, in IMC, in a Baron, 310, Duke, or other light GA twin, is one of the most demanding pilot tasks there are. This is because you don't have a co-pilot to provide any assistance and you have to reach all over the cockpit, and your autopilot isn't designed to fly the aircraft single engine in a twin. Most often, when something goes wrong, you are the only trained pilot in the cockpit.

Further, single engine ops in such an aircraft can be just as stern a test due to asymetrical thrust as it is in a Boeing 777 or Airbus A-310. It would be inaccurate to assert that mere size and weight indicates degree of difficulty. One of my favorite expressions is that "a Piper Cub is the safest of all aircraft for it can only barely kill you!"

It takes practice and experience, which is why insurance companies normally require a significant number of hours in a new aircraft type flown with an instructor even if you already hold the FAA certificates.

Now, it would be entirely wrong to say its a veritable suicide pact, because that would be extreme exaggeration. In fact, with good training and proficiency, it's not a big deal. It just has to be respected and pilots have to take an honest assessment of their skill levels on a given day, strive to fly regularly, and if not proficient, seek out a GOOD instructor to fly with. I emphasize good instructor, because unfortunately some CFI's out there frankly aren't that good.

The guy I have done the bulk of my training, and all my multi-engine training with, is a MEI-I, Air Force Instructor Pilot, and former airline pilot. He doesn't cut slack but requires you do things properly, and though he has not had to do it with me, he has finished a flight with a pilot on a BFR and vice endorse the logbook as safe and competent, endorsed flight restrictions which effectively grounded the pilot until he was able to demonstrate competency in certain areas to a follow-on CFI!

Cheers,

Ken

TeaSea
May 9th, 2010, 16:11
Nope, ain't done this yet....

After I get the IFR ticket (next 2-3 months) I'm working tail wheel, THEN the multi-engine....

I have to wait for our multi-engine Piper Apache to get repaired from the wheels up landing (made by two CFI's) anyway.....

Also, this is BIG money!!

Bone
May 9th, 2010, 17:56
I still have a current CFII-MEI, but I haven't flown a single engine or light twin in many many moons...I'm afraid I've become a jet snob. Although, I have been kicking around the idea of getting a rotorcraft addon.

pilottj
May 9th, 2010, 23:26
People assume that because it has two engines it is therefore safer. Sure there is another engine in case of a failure but the complexity level is significantly higher with regards to dead engine flying...ie Vmc factors, techniques, pitfalls...etc

lol yeah i remember my MEL training, had time in both the Duchess and the Seminole. Engine out flying is very demanding, especially during IFR/under the hood conditions. We did our training in Prescott AZ which was about 5000' elevation and as I recall, the Seminole had a horrible single engine service ceiling, especially in the summer with the high density altitudes. The joke was that the single engine would take you to the scene of the crash lol. But learning to deal with those conditions will always benefit you in the long run. I havent flown multi since my trainning days, it was just too damn expensive to fly multi. Why rent the Duchess when I could rent the Comanche that was just as fast for cheaper rental rate.

Cheers
TJ