PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

GS
May 8th, 2010, 16:21
Hi, sorry to bother you but I have just bought Pacific fighters andI'd like a bit of general advice. I'm much more used to Microsoft F/S European theatre, and am having a bit of trouble adapting.I am not exactly young and really new at this so please don't hit me from being ignorant :-).
Firstly, is there any possibility of changing the cockpit view to something similar to the broad few get in the battle for Europe? Actually that probably should be secondly because for the life of me at the moment I cannot find any general instructions such is you get in CFS three particularly performance of planes etc. Is there any such thing? And lastly is there anything like the little radar screen you can get in the Microsoft game that shows you where the enemy are? At the moment I don't particularly want to do anything fancy just get up in the sky and start shooting people down :-).

gradyhappyg
May 8th, 2010, 17:05
It's been a while since I have played Pacific Fighters here is a link to their site.
http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Info.aspx?pId=1045&tab=download&dcId=63
You might be able to find the Key commands there here is a quick list of those few I remember.
Sorry I can't remember more or find my key commands sheet. Hope this helps.

Views

Change from Pilot or gunner position C
Rotate View Mouse movement
Zoom In Left mouse button+mouse up
Zoom out Left mouse button+mouse down
Normal View End
Gunsight View Delete
Cockpit view F1
No Cockpit view CTRL+F1
External view F2
Fly by view F3
Chase View F8
Toggle gun sight on/off Shift+F1
Toggle auto pilot A
Bail out Ctrl+E
Flaps up F
Flaps down V
Gear up/down G
Wheel brakes B
Drop tanks Ctrl+T
Gunner controls fire left mouse button
Gunner control aiming Mouse movement

GS
May 8th, 2010, 17:24
Gosh that was quick, thanks. I must have got a real el cheapo version without any of this, but there's usually something on the disk. I'm just trying to get used to it at the moment and keep it as simple as possible, so most stuff is just turned off. :-)

gradyhappyg
May 8th, 2010, 17:56
Hey just checked inside the Pacific Fighters main game folder and found a Controls (adobe document) and another Manual which has all the commands and instructions on it.
This should fix you roght up. Have fun. BTW I suddenly have the urge to drag out the old CD and go flying.

KOM.Nausicaa
May 9th, 2010, 07:21
Hello GS,

in order to enjoy the IL2 sims you should really get "IL2 1946". This is the "full" sim and "Pacific Fighters" is included in it. The Pacific Fighters standalone is only a small fraction of the sim, and you won't get the latest patches or mods and neither be able to play online. "1946" is very cheap now in most stores.

For info about the game, http://mission4today.com/ is almost entirely dedicated to Oleg's series and has great ressources and tutorials.

GS
May 9th, 2010, 11:55
Thanks everyone,I can't believe the helpfulness on this site, on the other one I went to I was actually sneered at for not knowing. Cheers.

Gibbons
May 16th, 2010, 18:25
I'd agree on getting IL2 1946. I think it is still available at Ubisoft for $9.95 US. It has all the IL2 series from the beginning to now wrapped up in one package, Pacific Fighters included. There are update patches also available, but probably better to just start with the stock game and learn it well, then move on to upgrading or even moving on to either the HSFX or UltraPack modified versions of '46.

You can map the keyboard to be pretty close to what you are already comfortable with in CFS. There are additional keys that you'll have to assign keys to such as the bombsight keys.

I fly IL2 '46, FS2004, and CFS2 now and then and I mapped the keys in each to what I wanted, then went through and wrote down key commands on a couple pieces of paper so I'd have them handy whenever I fly. Takes about a half hour but once done you have it on hand in one place.

The game has Training missions that you could start with. Very helpful. Also, search YouTube for 'IL2 Tutorials' or 'IL2 1946 Tutorials', etc.

After getting up to speed find an online squadron to join as they will be able to give you tons more information and tips as well as provide a place to fly with and against other people. Sometimes you'll be flying with 40-50 other people in the game.

The Mission4Today website is also a must as mentioned.

Gibbons