PDA

View Full Version : Sorting Beaufighter puzzle

fleurdelys
May 7th, 2010, 04:37
Cheers to all,

I'm hoping that a member will be able to help me solve this puzzling questions(s)...

The Bristol Beaufighter was used as a "fighter-bomber" and gave a very good account of itself, for all who used it or a very bad for those that were unfortunate to be on the receiving end of it...

I presently have 3 versions of it, including Alphasim's payware, but cannot check my info on Dave Garwood's model since I'm not using Fs"X".
It would seem that the Beaufighter was fitted with air brakes, but I can't seem to find any real life pics that would give me a hint as to how they were used and what they actually looked like in use.

Alphasim's rendering is akin to a Dauntless air brakes (see pic) and actuated with the usual air brakes toggle, while the other two authors represented them as additional flaps and linked their operation to the flap actuator...

Now, I'm not trying to downgrade any of the three modelers, on the contrary, as I find that all made very good likenesses of the actual planes and I wouldn't be keeping these planes in my hangar if I didn't like them to start with.
But if they had as much difficulty finding the info that I'm asking to this forum, it is very possible that they had to interpret the 3D views to the best of their knowledge and finally made a "guesstimate" as to what and how it might look like in operation.

I'm presently "thinkering" on one of these very nice planes with the kind permission of the author and would like to know :

1. Where they really airbrakes or extended flaps ?
2. If they were airbrakes, how did they look like in use ?
3. Were they used independently from the flaps, if at all, when landing the plane ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated on this subject matter, or better yet, a pic would probably settle the question (or create more...) :kilroy:

Thanks for your help,

Fleurdelys

Z-claudius24
May 7th, 2010, 04:49
Hi,

Check your PM box !