PDA

View Full Version : B17 (A2A) vs Lancaster (FCS) vs B24 (AlphaSim)

dougal
May 7th, 2010, 03:05
I've been spending hours & hours putting B17 & Lancaster formations together with FSRecorder on training runs for a bombing mission. Such fun!

While downloading paints for the B17 & Lanc (for which you painters have my thanks), I came accross some very nice schemes for the B24 Liberator.

I'd like to know how the Liberator compares to the (accusimmed) B17 and the Lancaster. Have I been completely spoilt by the quality from these addons, or would the Lib slot in nicely?

I've looked at the screenies on the website, but often they're nothing like the actual VC.

I'm mainly interested in the visual 3D quality (inside & out) and the flight model. I'm not really too concerned how historically correct or not things may be.

Many thanks for feedback.

roger-wilco-66
May 7th, 2010, 03:27
> I'd like to know how the Liberator compares to the (accusimmed) B17
> and the Lancaster. Have I been completely spoilt by the quality from these addons [...] ?

Yes.

I think the A2A B-17 is second to none.
Textures and details, expecially in the cockpit, are way beyond the quality of the A2A B-17. Not even talking about the systems which are simulated.
Can't speak for the Lanc, as I don't have it.

Nevertheless, the Alpha B-24 is still a nice addon, and the best (and only, AFAIK) FSX B-24 to be had, with a couple of real nice features.

Cheers,
Mark

peter12213
May 7th, 2010, 04:08
I have all three and I do like them all the B17 is as said in a league of its own, bt the FCS Lanc and alphasim Liberator do compare petty well as the same, both have pro's and con's but I'd have to side with the Lanc but I'm Bias because I'm English!

Snuffy
May 7th, 2010, 04:32
I have all three and I do like them all the B17 is as said in a league of its own, bt the FCS Lanc and alphasim Liberator do compare petty well as the same, both have pro's and con's but I'd have to side with the Lanc but I'm Bias because I'm English!

Well now we can't be having any of that then can we?

Bad Peter! Bad!

Myself, I'm torn between the 17 and the 24.

(Biasedly, I'd like to see A2A Accu-sim the 24 and the Lib ... )

mal998
May 7th, 2010, 06:26
I don't have the Lanc, but I am told it's a pretty nice plane. I do have Alpha's B-24 and it's the best of type available. The VC is pretty well equiped and she flies like one would expect of a heavy. There are also several available paints. At $43.00 U.S. the price is a bit steep, but as always, value is determined by the buyer.

Roger
May 7th, 2010, 06:56
VC wise the lanc is the best. The B17 accusimmed vc doesn't seem to have had much work from the screenshots although the exterior has.

peter12213
May 7th, 2010, 07:02
VC wise the lanc is the best. The B17 accusimmed vc doesn't seem to have had much work from the screenshots although the exterior has.

It has when you see it moving and the panel rattling, and seeing the guages and controls moving because of your invisible co-pilot, it is very cool! However I do agree in saying the FCS Lancasters VC is Very nice!

mal998
May 7th, 2010, 08:08
However I do agree in saying the FCS Lancasters VC is Very nice!

Dan's work, I believe. Always first rate.

Prowler1111
May 7th, 2010, 08:17
..this will be interesting...

dougal
May 7th, 2010, 08:25
VERY many thanks for the feedback guys - appreciated.

After reading the above, how could I resist making it a threesome eh?

Just been and bought the Liberator. Indeed it is somewhat pricy, but i've been getting so much pleasure from the other two, it had to be worth a pop.

Will report back after a few trial runs...

Shylock
May 7th, 2010, 10:39
I love the B-17. To me this sets the standard. I don't have the Lancaster but the Alphasim B-24 is not to bad. Some features is the sound issue when your in the VC and go full throttle the sound goes bonkers but its an easy fix by turning down your wave sound to medium. One bad thing she seems to need 8,000 ft of runway to take off and seems to fly with a nose up attitude in level flight. But when you put the B-17 and B-24 together in flight its a thing of beauty.

djscoo
May 7th, 2010, 11:01
I have the Lancaster and Liberator. Both are really nice, and comparable in terms of quality. I like the loadout manager in the B-24, but I probably fly the Lanc more just because I've always really liked the aircraft. Honestly you wouldn't be doing wrong choosing any of the three.
:ernae:

Kiwikat
May 7th, 2010, 11:21
Dan's work, I believe. Always first rate.

Hopefully we'll be able to show off some more of his work s**n... :wavey:

Snuffy
May 8th, 2010, 07:53
I've been spending hours & hours putting B17 & Lancaster formations together with FSRecorder on training runs for a bombing mission. Such fun! ...

Doug,

You have any screen shots of these formations? Would Love to see em ... :jump:

some1
May 8th, 2010, 14:14
The B17 accusimmed vc doesn't seem to have had much work from the screenshots although the exterior has.

It had been completely reworked. All gauges are new and 3D, all switches are remodelled and textures have been greatly updated.

But it still looks like a B-17G interior, can't blame A2A for that :icon_lol:

Roger
May 8th, 2010, 14:34
It had been completely reworked. All gauges are new and 3D, all switches are remodelled and textures have been greatly updated.

But it still looks like a B-17G interior, can't blame A2A for that :icon_lol:

I have the original FsX A2A B17 and I can only go by the screenshots I've seen. The exterior looks like the model is more reflective than it was and some of the repaints look great but the shots of the vc look pretty much as the original. I'm not a fan of Accusim so I'm not likely to buy the update (the 377 stays in my hangar as I can't waste all my time in the vc trying not to crash and burn, lol) but the exterior looks very good now. If I could just update the model I'd be well pleased.

some1
May 9th, 2010, 00:12
Here are comparison screens:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb284/some1_PL/b17/th_2009-7-28_23-31-44-315.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb284/some1_PL/b17/?action=view&current=2009-7-28_23-31-44-315.jpg) http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb284/some1_PL/b17/th_2010-3-31_20-55-30-879.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb284/some1_PL/b17/?action=view&current=2010-3-31_20-55-30-879.jpg)

dougal
May 9th, 2010, 02:09
Sorry, still haven't done any screenies. Sure I'll get around to it though:salute:

Re my B24 Liberator purchase... Having now had the opportunity to thoroughly test fly the B24 WITH both Lancaster AND the B17, I'm thoroughly dissapointed:-( I don't think it's a 'bad' addon, far from it, it's way better than some payware aircraft I have. It's just that I can't manage to fly in formation with ANY accuacy with the other two groups. The origanal B24 crews had the very same complaint, but I'm sure it can't have been this hard...

I find it almost imposible make small aileron and elevator adjustments, especially simultaniously. This means the B24 appears to 'bounce' up and down in the sky behind the B17 & Lancs. That B17 is just sooooooo smooth to fly. You guys were right, I've been truely spoilt with that baby.

Sadly, for me, the B24 will be retired to the hangar.

All I can say is, for those who have ONLY the B24 and think it's good, go get the Lancaster and especially the B17, and try the truely GREAT!

seejay
July 25th, 2010, 05:43
I have the Lancaster and for the most part, love it. The issue I have with it, is the radios.
I find it very difficult to tune the radios-- freg indicators too small. Also, I'll be danged if I can figure out how to get their course indicators to operate correctly. I've read the manuals, but can't find any help there.
I don't know why I should not be able to set the Cursor on the compass.
I have tried to contact FCS but no joy,-- are they still in business ???
Any help would be appreciated.---- Oh Yes!--- How about a paint of Lancaster VRA the second of only two Lanc still flying.
Cheers.

Ian Warren
July 25th, 2010, 07:00
OK .. I have all the three mentioned Bombers , what if we plan a Multiplay .. get all Jan-Kee s paint s , all Jeansy,s paints , Good plan ?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

AndyE1976
July 25th, 2010, 07:19
sounds good to me - if it's the week the first week of August I can probably join you.

Bone
July 25th, 2010, 07:20
If you want a huge bomber formation without a massive FPS hit, you should try the FS-Cast B-17. It's an awesome build AND it has multiple LOD's like an AI model would. I have 21 of these planes in a formation that goes from Basingbourne to St. Nazair and back, and it's a very fluid and stable 28-31 FPS. I can only get about 9 of the Alphasim B-24's in a formation before my FPS's go to slide show status.

I've put these pics in before, hope it's not a boring retread for you if you've seen them already.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/My%20Simulator%20Shots/2008-12-18_19-7-38-923.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/My%20Simulator%20Shots/2008-12-18_17-53-17-493.jpg

Bone
July 25th, 2010, 08:03
...I do love the Alphasim B-24, though. It's a great bomber.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/My%20Simulator%20Shots/1-12.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/My%20Simulator%20Shots/3-12.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/My%20Simulator%20Shots/1-14.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/My%20Simulator%20Shots/2-14.jpg

Shylock
July 25th, 2010, 09:29
WOW great shots there. Nice job on the formation flying!!!

glhorton
July 25th, 2010, 09:53
I too have all three....Since my father had flown Liberators in the South Pacific for 49 missions, I have always had a preference for the Liberator. Unfortunately, it has not been modeled well in the FS environment. Yet, it is the only one available. My next preference would be the Lanc, again for personal reasons. One cannot fault the quality placed in the A2A Fortress. It flies amazingly smooth. My Dad had always said that if you could handle a Liberator well, you could easily handle the B-17 or B-29. He had transitioned to B-29s without much effort. It was said you could always tell a Liberator pilot by his over-developed left arm as it took a lot of physical effort to hold the ship in formation.

glennc
July 25th, 2010, 11:44
I don't have the Lancaster and I'm spoiled by the A2A B-17. I have the B-24 but its not installed right now. My major issue with it was that if you didn't check the weight and balance, you are 3,000 pounds over gross when it loads. It made for a couple "interesting" take-offs until I figured that out.

Glenn

RobH
July 25th, 2010, 12:04
Bone,

Great pics!

Ok, I apparently have missed something, how did you get the bomb drops from the Alphasim B-24?

Bone
July 25th, 2010, 13:51
Bone,

Great pics!

Ok, I apparently have missed something, how did you get the bomb drops from the Alphasim B-24?

I have a couple of products that came with missions, and all I did was alter the mission cfg to use the B-24. One of them was the Razbam A-6 [Mk-82's], and the other was Flight Deck 5 [Bomb].