PDA

View Full Version : Hye Moe or TexNetCop; HD question

Lionheart
May 6th, 2010, 20:59
Hey guys,

Is it bad for a standard large version HD to be mounted vertically with sockets facing down, instead of being flat with shiny side up?

It occurred to me, I run my external drive, which is an internal style HD, in a vertical plugin dock. I wonder if this is bad for it?

Thanks for any input.

Bill

kilo delta
May 7th, 2010, 01:43
It's perfectly fine to keep it vertical Bill...so long as the hdd is protected from knocks and bangs it'll be okay.

Edit: Loving the new avatar! LOL

gigabyte
May 7th, 2010, 02:07
I'll back Kilo Delta on that, there was a time when many hard drives required mounting in a specific position but that was back in the day of the old MFM style full size drives. As best I can recall that recomendation stopped when the industry went to the IDE standard and drives all switched to the 3.5" form factor.

I can tell you I have seen some pretty weird mounting jobs for hard drives - I have even done a few "Red Green DIY" installs myself, as long as the drive is secure and is not subject to impacts you are goo to go.

hey_moe
May 7th, 2010, 02:32
With your money why even worry about it...lol...if it smokes, turn it da other way. I have seen customers do it both ways with no complaints...Mike

txnetcop
May 7th, 2010, 02:58
Yep all the above is correct...it's doesn't matter any more...better materials than the old drives. Gravity has lost it's hold on hard drives...at least that's the theory! Remember that engineers said the Titanic was unsinkable...
Ted

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Lionheart
May 7th, 2010, 06:24
Thanks all. Much appreciated.

:ernae:

<--- bows humbly

GT182
May 7th, 2010, 09:31
Bill, is there a fan on it to help keep it cooler when it's running? That's will be the best help for it.