PDA

View Full Version : RPM control in a jet airfile

kelticheart
May 6th, 2010, 08:02
Hi all,

I have a question for the airfile gurus: several Korean War jet planes I downloaded either start their engine immediately or keep a very high revving rate around 50% of their turbine RPM, sometimes above 60%.

Instant startup is not historical, as early jet engines had a long spool up time. High RPM idle is not realistic.

Fox4's F-86 Sabre started her engine instantly, when I added missing FS2000 jet engine records from other Sabre models, I found it corrected the spool up time but now it idles at 50% rpm. Taccoli's P-80, now updated by Tango Romeo, idles at 65%!!!!!!!!

Which record of a jet plane airfile controls engine startup timing and idle RPM?

Thank you!
KH :ernae:

bearcat241
May 6th, 2010, 12:55
I dunno Stef, with jets, i've always been quite happy with 50%-65% RPM @ idle. I'm not sure where exactly the air file's controller is, but this could also be the need for a throttle recalibration on your game controller.

kelticheart
May 7th, 2010, 01:43
I dunno Stef, with jets, i've always been quite happy with 50%-65% RPM @ idle. I'm not sure where exactly the air file's controller is, but this could also be the need for a throttle recalibration on your game controller.

Guess whose tech answer I was waiting for.......:d

HI BC, how are you these days? :wavey:

OK, to be honest I realised that such a high idle rpm does not affect the aircraft during slowdown approach to landing. With full flaps, landing gear and speed brakes extended each one of the jets I mentioned does slow down so that I can land and taxi to the parking spot.

It just bothered me seeing the engine rpm gauge running so high while standing on the runway or in flight with my throttle completely closed.

The controller is ok, because when I go to the HUD the displayed throttle percentage ranges from 0% to 100% as usual.

Thank you BC for your help, anyway. I'll keep experimenting with the airfiles.

Cheers!

bearcat241
May 7th, 2010, 14:52
Doin' well KH...hope all is good with you too. I can see that you're a hardcore CFS2 prop jock, not used to the go-fast stuff, eh? LOL

Based on all i've heard and seen so far in virtual world and real world fighter jets, i'm comfortable with a 50-65% RPM @ idle. Anything less makes me feel like my burners are gonna flame out any moment. I grew up just a couple of miles from Dobbins AFB/NAS Atlanta on a daily diet of military jets roaring over my house. Occasionally we'd go down to the runway to see them land and takeoff up close. I always marveled at the noise they made taxiing and even idling on the runway before takeoff -- nothing you could say would convince me that they were at anything less than 50% RPM. Guess that's why the pilots did this with closed canopies -- even on hot summer days.

OBIO
May 7th, 2010, 15:19
Keltic

I have been flying a lot of FS2004 jets this last year or so...and even the best of the best FS2004 jet packages have idle RPMs in the 50 to 60% range. I would assume that this is a normal idle for jet aircraft.

OBIO

kelticheart
May 10th, 2010, 00:58
Doin' well KH...hope all is good with you too. I can see that you're a hardcore CFS2 prop jock, not used to the go-fast stuff, eh? LOL

Based on all i've heard and seen so far in virtual world and real world fighter jets, i'm comfortable with a 50-65% RPM @ idle. Anything less makes me feel like my burners are gonna flame out any moment. I grew up just a couple of miles from Dobbins AFB/NAS Atlanta on a daily diet of military jets roaring over my house. Occasionally we'd go down to the runway to see them land and takeoff up close. I always marveled at the noise they made taxiing and even idling on the runway before takeoff -- nothing you could say would convince me that they were at anything less than 50% RPM. Guess that's why the pilots did this with closed canopies -- even on hot summer days.

Ok folks!

You convinced me. I lived a year and half in Smyrna, very close to Dobbins AFB/NAS and I remember making a few nasty comments when the only time I could sleep late, after a week of staying up until the wee hours to watch over the new computer system at New Atlanta Dairies, I was brutally woken up on Saturday mornings by Georgia ANG F-15's taking off with full afterburner on.

On the other hand, when I first saw the Egles flying the landing pattern I held my breath in awe!

What misled me was the original Fox4 airfiles of both the F9F and F-86. Apart from the instant-on startup, which I almost cured, the idling engines run at 30% power, which I thought was the correct setting.

At any rate you're right BC! Although I love those early jets I think real flying is prop driven!

....Ah, the clear song of a Merlin-powered Spitfire warming up in the early cold winter morning........

I just quoted a phrase from Pierre Clostermann's book "The Big Show"! :p:

Cheers!

Nole
May 10th, 2010, 15:47
....when I added missing FS2000 jet engine records from other Sabre models, I found it corrected the spool up time but now it idles at 50% rpm. Taccoli's P-80, now updated by Tango Romeo, idles at 65%!!!!!!!!:ernae:

Kelti, according to TR, the removal of the FS2000 engine entries in the Fox Four jets was necessary to stop the infamous 'WARP bug'.......arriving at your next WP out of fuel and with a sputtering engine, even if it was only 100 miles away. So you may have solved one issue, but created another...or rather recreated another.

I think Dirtman did a lot of work around this in the VN CFS2 project. :wiggle:

kelticheart
May 11th, 2010, 08:09
Kelti, according to TR, the removal of the FS2000 engine entries in the Fox Four jets was necessary to stop the infamous 'WARP bug'.......arriving at your next WP out of fuel and with a sputtering engine, even if it was only 100 miles away. So you may have solved one issue, but created another...or rather recreated another.

I think Dirtman did a lot of work around this in the VN CFS2 project. :wiggle:

TRIPLE WHOA!

I missed entirely the debate over this issue.

Thank you Nole for bringing it up! I will fly a single KoW mission with my modified airfiles and see what happens.

It's a good thing that I have the habit of always keeping the original files and/or downloads!

Cheers!

Cowboy1968
May 12th, 2010, 05:30
My Granpa flew Panthers in Korea. he kept notebooks on every type he flew. I checked his notes on the Panther. The Panther would loose the compressor if it didn't idle at 50 percent. "I have learned your never let the needles drop in this bitch"

kelticheart
May 13th, 2010, 07:44
I did try flying a simple mission from Fox4's Sabre Korean campaign with TR's F-86 and my modified airfile. Sure enough, the first time I hit "X" to warp to the next waypoint I got a message I never saw before.

First of all the waypoint I reached was only a couple of miles away from the airport I took off from and the messagge said: "Low on fuel, engine sputtering". The mission even called for droptanks and my gauges showed clearly 100% full tanks.

No matter how many times I hit "X", I always remained there.

I had discovered "the infamous 'WARP bug'"!!

In my endless search for getting as close as possible to the real historical thing, I modified the Sabre airfile with records taken from other similar, or even the very same, aircrafts not meant to fly combat missions in CFS2.

Since I usually tinker with CFS2, instead of flying missions, Heaven knows when I would have encountered such bug! I am sure I would have not recalled what I had done, perhaps months before. Tracking down the problem would have taken ages.

This puts the idle and startup sequence issue to definitive rest. Either have a jet aircraft behaving like the real ones or be able to fly missions in CFS2. Thou can't have both, period.

Thank you again Nole for bringing this issue up!

Cheers!