PDA

View Full Version : RIGHT SIDE LEFT SIDE OF AIRCRAFT

Fibber
May 6th, 2010, 06:56
There seems to have been a withdrawal made so would someone please refresh my memory banks? I was using some of the SOH_Donationware released planes (P40) when I suddenly realized that some of the artistry on the right side of the aircraft is not on the leftside. The Names in particular don't duplicate. Maybe it was a lazy crewchief or a pennypinching sqd. pencil pusher :icon_lol:
I know this can be done by a simple copy\rename, but I forget is it *.*.d to *.*.T or what? Getting to be a PITA and picky lately. Guess I need to revisit one of my old waterholes.:running:

watchdog22
May 6th, 2010, 18:20
Hi Fibber, I've done a bunch of repaints for Lindsay Watt's new P40 and my research leads me to believe that artwork was seldom duplicated on each side on Pursuit planes. In fact many had different names and artwork on each side which can lead to identity confusion. The tail numbers are the defining give-away. I have had to do a best guess on some of my repaints. The Russians, however, tended to replicate their artwork and some of it is fantastic!

Fibber
May 6th, 2010, 18:55
Thanks for your reply.
I know that many of the "Flying Tigers" never used names but rather the spinner covers for identification. I once worked for a person ( a real sob) whose mother worked at one of the airfields. He related that she told him there were few names but a lot of color combinations. Different colors for different missions, anything to confuse the JPs as to strength. Something to consider in early Flying Tigers missions.

msfossey
May 6th, 2010, 20:31
I found this in P-40 Warhawk Aces of the Pacific: "It was standard practice for the pilot to choose the markings of the port side while the crew chief decorated the starboard." I hope this helps.

regards,
msfossey