PDA

View Full Version : Internet security

robert41
May 5th, 2010, 18:10
What is your favorite security provider or which one work best with flight sim? I have Norton, and have not had any problems with this and FS9. But two days ago, searching with google, I was being redirected to strange websites. Scanned with Norton and it did not find any problems. After searching the net, I used Hitman Pro, and it found a trojan, blasted it, and google is back to normal. A little disipointed that Norton missed this.

dandog
May 6th, 2010, 07:44
McAfee missed it too. Windows malicious software tool removed it for me.

OBIO
May 6th, 2010, 07:54
There is no 100% sure thing when it comes to anti-virus/trojan/spyware protection...other than never connecting to the internet. I use AVG Free and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I also run CCleaner each and every time I leave the internet. This set up works pretty well...for the most part. I have gotten nailed by some nasties from some Russian sites that I by passed all my security package warnings to go to to download sim planes and videos of aircraft. When one is dumb enough to shrug off a dozen warnings telling you that the site is not trusted and is a reported attack site, you deserve to get your system blasted.

One thing I like about AVG...it is not a resource hog. I don't bother shutting it down when I fly my sim.

MaddogK
May 6th, 2010, 08:51
Spybot S&D teatimer.

AVG has been hitting me with ads lately everytime I boot up, and when AVG finds a virus AVG deletes the file unlike Norton who tries to repair the file and if it cant it then deletes it.

I also setup firefox to delete all cookies/history on exit, and have Noscript, adblock+ and perspectives addons running.

CEMENT 64
May 6th, 2010, 09:38
I used to have Nod32 until I ended up with a virus!

Now I use AVG freeware, no problems at all.

OBIO
May 6th, 2010, 10:36
I also setup firefox to delete all cookies/history on exit, and have Noscript, adblock+ and perspectives addons running.

I also use Firefox with Noscript, Adblock, WOT (Web of Trust) and a couple other security feature addons running.

OBIO

Quax d. Bruchpilot
May 6th, 2010, 11:18
I use ESET, for my oppinion the best

Regards

robert41
May 6th, 2010, 16:34
Thanks for the replies everone. Will give some of those a try and see what happens.

Dangerousdave26
May 10th, 2010, 12:04
I run the free version of Avast

I dropped AVG when I had issues with them last year. Later I found out that they were bought by Symantec which owns Norton

I have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware installed and use it.

Lavasoft Ad-aware also has been good to me.

I use the built in windows fire wall it works fine for my use.

GT182
March 10th, 2011, 13:43
I started using Microsoft Security Essentials and it's the best I've seen so far....... and it's free.

OBIO
March 14th, 2011, 14:07
I have also dumped AVG Free as, once taken over by Norton, it become hoggish of resources, slow to update and not as effective in stopping nasties from getting through. I now use Microsoft Security Essentials. The very first time it ran after installing, it found 6 nasties that AVG had let slip through to my system.

MSE is very light on resource usage, updates nearly every day, is fast when doing a scan, and is free!

If you decide to go with MSE, make sure that you are downloading it from the official Microsoft site. There have been report of faked Microsoft Security Essential downloads that contain tracking trojans and other built in nasties.

OBIO