PDA

View Full Version : VIRUS WARNING

Fibber
May 5th, 2010, 17:57
OT here; I was just on a news site and a message that gave the appearances of Microsofts Malicious Tool remover appeared on my screen. It ran a "scan" without prompting and informed me I had Trojans and viruses on my computer. It then told me to download a "Tool" to remove these . I had a hard time canceling this. Tip off was that it told me I had a Trojan on a drive that my computer doesn't have! Be very wary if you see this. It has been around and maybe has been dressed up to really look like MS.

tonybones2112
May 6th, 2010, 02:10
OT here; I was just on a news site and a message that gave the appearances of Microsofts Malicious Tool remover appeared on my screen. It ran a "scan" without prompting and informed me I had Trojans and viruses on my computer. It then told me to download a "Tool" to remove these . I had a hard time canceling this. Tip off was that it told me I had a Trojan on a drive that my computer doesn't have! Be very wary if you see this. It has been around and maybe has been dressed up to really look like MS.

Fib, thank you. This sounds a whole lot like winworm32.netsky. It's been around forever and they keep mutating it into different variations. I've commented several times on this virus because it's the only one I ever had in 10 years on the web that ever shut me down, this was around Xmas.

Bones

Jagdflieger
May 6th, 2010, 03:32
Thanks for the heads up Fibber.

I checked my anti-virus for updates and ran a scan.

bearcat241
May 6th, 2010, 03:56
I stopped allowing the Microsoft Malicious Tool remover on my rig long ago...with my security setup its a waste of time and i don't trust it anyways. But if you're gonna allow it access to your computer, the only legit place to get it is the MS updates site -- any other source is bogus. And if you happen to get some bogus "version" while browsing that wants to run against your will and won't allow you to cancel, just hit the reset or shutdown button on your computer and end that argument.

jim
May 6th, 2010, 03:58
Is that virus called "Security Tool"? If so it just cost me $100+ to get rid of it. Got a malware program (3rd party) from Dell for it. It's scanning now.

Fibber
May 6th, 2010, 06:33
Is that malware called Malware Anti-malware? If so I already have and use it often. It is free at their site.
Bearcat; That was another tipoff. I don't use MS Malicious Tool. I don't trust it and use several defenses. What one doesn't catch, another will.
Tony; I saw this once before and that was also around Xmas. I do believe it has been around longer than that but just keeps morphing.

Fibber
May 6th, 2010, 06:43
Here you go guys. This is a explanation on this and how to remove ( Symantec version)

http://www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?themeid=mislead

These are called (amongst other names) Trojan.zlob or Downloader.misleading app.

Zlob has been around since at least 2005!

SPman
May 6th, 2010, 17:26
Another good site here...http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/page/2/