PDA

View Full Version : Okay Bill try this ...

Snuffy
May 3rd, 2010, 15:40
Man what a mess this thread has turned out to be.

Kk9bgE-byWQ

Lionheart
May 3rd, 2010, 15:55
Awesome man!

Greatly appreciated.... This answers alot of questions I had. The big icon engine things really scared me off in this. That video really makes it look easy.

Now.. How does one copy/paste a Scenario (or is it Route) and rename it? Can that be easily done? This way, I can go in and totally change the scenario, rename it, put in my own engines, etc, without losing my original.

It would also be nice to just create different routes/scenarios' that are the same ones, but diff times of day, diff weather. The routes/scenarios are pretty nice, but having a diff time of day, or reverse it would be nice.

Bill

Snuffy
May 3rd, 2010, 16:16
Nope sorry can't help ya ...

I dove into RW in a completely different format than what you're trying to do.

I decided only after about 8 hours of playing with the "canned" trains, to build my own route and I have been so single minded focused on that I haven't done anything else, including driving trains.

Just trying to absorb all there is in route building, finding out how to export CAD files to 3DCanvas and how to export 3DC to RWs after texturing and all like that.

LOL! I ain't got time to learn that stuff you want to know ... :icon_lol:

Henry
May 3rd, 2010, 18:02
Awesome man!

Greatly appreciated.... This answers alot of questions I had. The big icon engine things really scared me off in this. That video really makes it look easy.

Now.. How does one copy/paste a Scenario (or is it Route) and rename it? Can that be easily done? This way, I can go in and totally change the scenario, rename it, put in my own engines, etc, without losing my original.

It would also be nice to just create different routes/scenarios' that are the same ones, but diff times of day, diff weather. The routes/scenarios are pretty nice, but having a diff time of day, or reverse it would be nice.

Bill
its easy thats what i do im just bad at explaining
let me see if i can find a good tut
H

Henry
May 3rd, 2010, 18:16
if you use rw tools
go into edit scenerios at the top
and pick a route then a scenerio
then use clone scenerio change name to whatever
then you can edit away

Snuffy
May 3rd, 2010, 18:20
if you use rw tools
go into edit scenerios at the top
and pick a route then a scenerio
then use clone scenerio change name to whatever
then you can edit away

You talking about this:

http://www.rstools.info/tutorials/SwapStock.pdf

Henry
May 3rd, 2010, 18:28
that is the first way i learned
but you cannot see the stock
so i make a duplicate scenerio
then use the edit mode in railworks
and change them
but its a good way to change weather
im sorry but im a lousy teacher
on line, give me a one on one in person or on the phone and i can walk anyone through it
it took me a while to ad a driver etc
but now thats easy
thats just for free roams at the moment
im working on timetable scenerios now
H

Snuffy
May 3rd, 2010, 18:34
And I'm over here beating my head against building routes ... LOL and know nothing about which you speak.

I'm sure in time as I get to the point of adding rolling stock I'm gonna have to know this stuff. But that's down the road yet I'm sure.

Henry
May 3rd, 2010, 18:56
im a hacker
i can change anything that has been created
but i cannot create for didly squat
i am amazed it took me a while
but it is so eazy i can change trains, add stock
change weather etc etc
but create from scratch im screwed
H

Lionheart
May 3rd, 2010, 18:56
Thanks guys. Massively appreciated.

For you Snuffy, you will probably also want to learn AI for other trains in the routes, when you get to that point, so that you arent the only one out there driving around, if you are on a two way rail set. In these Scenarios, its nice to be around the other engines as well, meeting another engine going in the opposite direction at the station at the same time, etc.

Working all the time tables is the hard part... whew...... Must have taken these guys quite a while to get this sim assembled and why there arent a load more Scenarios to run, lol.

Thanks again.

Bill

Snuffy
May 5th, 2010, 13:54
Part 2 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbva7xiXk0o

warchild
May 8th, 2010, 01:37
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

All that snow and those mountains.. Makes me think of the donner pass route that runs along the sides of the sierra nevada mountains between Reno and Sacramento.. That would be a lot of fun :) :) :)

Lionheart
May 8th, 2010, 08:34
Part 2 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbva7xiXk0o

Awesome......!

That should do it. I can now install that Bullet into my British scenery scenario.. I am going to cook through that countryside....! :d

Thanks for the heads up Snuffy...

Bill

Lionheart
May 9th, 2010, 01:11
Hey guys,

Man... I cant believe this. I tried putting that dang Pandolino 390 EMU in various tracks and scenario clonings and it crashed RW every single time.

I then tested it and ran the regular route and they booted up, but the ones with the Pandolino in them crashed every time.

I looked through the Dump file to see if I could spot the problem, but it appears to be written in binary or hex.

So then I cloned a route / scenario and unlocked it, went in with Edit mode and tried to switch out engines to the Pandolino that way, and the P didnt even how up in the listing for engines.

Well, I gave it a shot.

Time to get back to train driving... (and making planes).

warchild
May 9th, 2010, 04:03
Pandolino? Whats a Pandolino?? :;chuckles::

Lionheart
May 9th, 2010, 11:16
Pandolino? Whats a Pandolino?? :;chuckles::

Hey Pam,

They are an Italian train maker and got into leaning, so that older tracks could be taken at high speeds. I guess they are now considered tilting bullet trains, capable of very high speeds.

I got one, payware for RW, and it has 'one' darn Scenario... lol.. I cant get it into any other Scenarios. At some forums, one said, that such and such a route, the train is too wide and hits the station platforms, and another was that it wont run certain routes as they are not wired for electrics. So I got this payware that I cant drive now. It has a fantastic VC, and actually tilts in the turns. Maybe someday, someone will have routes for it, even with speeds like that one for the Chunnel.

Here are some pictures of what they look like, but not like the payware I got.

Bill

Henry
May 9th, 2010, 14:15
Hey guys,

Man... I cant believe this. I tried putting that dang Pandolino 390 EMU in various tracks and scenario clonings and it crashed RW every single time.

I then tested it and ran the regular route and they booted up, but the ones with the Pandolino in them crashed every time.

I looked through the Dump file to see if I could spot the problem, but it appears to be written in binary or hex.

So then I cloned a route / scenario and unlocked it, went in with Edit mode and tried to switch out engines to the Pandolino that way, and the P didnt even how up in the listing for engines.

Well, I gave it a shot.

Time to get back to train driving... (and making planes).
you have to add the asset
took me a while
ill see if i cannot find an easy way of explaining
H

warchild
May 9th, 2010, 14:45
Very cool :) Thanks Bill.. That is indeed a very gorgeous looking train and one i'll have to look into next month perhaps ( got this thing about pantographs. There aint none in america ::LOL:: sheesh i'm such a nationalist ).
I chose a slightly different direction and went with the class 220 and 221 voyagers available from Just trains. They're multi-units but diesel instead of electric. A set was bought by Amtrak a ways ago and it plies its way up and down the northeastern corridor. Thanks to it, Train usage has increased, and Amtrak is expanding those lines up into maine, with a little 35 million dollar gift from the whitehouse. Nice gift..
I'm going to try and wrap my brain around its paintkit ( comes with one ) and paint it for use on the Cascades Express line vrom Vancouver BC to Eugene Or, and possibly down into California. The train amtrak uses on it now is about butt ugly. Some italian thing. if you take a shoe box and step on its middle section and nearly flatten it, you'll have a pretty good representation of the appearance of the current train on that route. it's uuuuugly.
Theres new scenery being made for the route that goes from california to eugene, and a thread on it over at railworks america. i was looking at pics of it last night, and i'll tell it. i was blown away.. I can almost tell you exactly where some of those pics are taken, just by looking. the guy has nailed the cascades on the head and he's doing a fantastic job of it, although he's only going up as far as crater lake. Hopefully someone will pick up from there and take the route up into british columbia.

Will leave you with a couple of pics. :) hope you enjoy them..
Pam

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/railworks/Screenshot_Rascal-to-Cotton.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/railworks/Screenshot_tgv.jpg

Henry
May 9th, 2010, 15:52
great shots Pam
Bill what route would you like one on?
H

Lionheart
May 9th, 2010, 18:49
great shots Pam
Bill what route would you like one on?
H

Hey H, I'll take a 220 on the Oxford if you can or the 390 on any British electric track. Anything! lol..

I need to find this 220. That looks like one fantastic unit.. I have been wanting the Virgin train specifically.. (envy here for that train).

Bill

Henry
May 9th, 2010, 18:56
Hey H, I'll take a 220 on the Oxford if you can or the 390 on any British electric track. Anything! lol..

I need to find this 220. That looks like one fantastic unit.. I have been wanting the Virgin train specifically.. (envy here for that train).

Bill
you got it
you have given me a lot of happy moments with your creatioms
the 220 is just trains
H

Lionheart
May 9th, 2010, 19:07
Man H, massively appreciated.

I just found the 220 at Just Trains. Downloading now. Looks like one awesome train.

H, if you can just tell me how to drop the trains Assets into the Editor section, that would be fine. I find it interesting to know how that thing works. Once I saw the tutorials at YouTube, I saw how easy and a bit fun it is to move things around.

That antique A-4 is looking pretty good. What a nice bit of model work on that thing.

Bill

warchild
May 9th, 2010, 20:52
Great job on finding that Bill..
Theres a couple mods for it out there too.. The one on Art-Train doesnt work though. besides, i think its pirated.. The other is the Grand central livery which is a Black with Yellow design and looks quite nice ( and works too ).. I just cant remember where i found it :( :( .. The top speed of the 221 is only 127 mph, but she reaches it effortlessly..
I Attempted to find the Acela liveries for it and found some acela liveries, but since they didnt work, they must be for a different model.
i WISH we had these trains out here in oregon, but for some god awful reason unknown to me, amtrak chose to go with a Talgo DMU..
Will let you know if i ever get the graphics formats figured out enough to do some liveries..

warchild
May 9th, 2010, 21:10
Just found the link for the Class 220 Grand central livery. its about fourth down on this page.. http://www.uktrainsim.com/filelib-search.php?form_author=Chef666

Lionheart
May 9th, 2010, 22:13
Thanks Pam. I'll check that out.

I think your issue is that paint schemes might be for TS instead of RW. (What ever the first version of RW was called). I could be wrong on that though.

warchild
May 10th, 2010, 04:22
Rail Sim, and yeah, thats a possibility, even though supposedly, railworks is nothing more than rail sim renamed and reboxed. I dont really believe that, but it is true from a historical and business standpoint. The name change happened when RS.com took over the product from EA Games..

Another possibility is that i have the wrong version of the product the paints are for. Instead of Joe blows F-7 for example, I have sally soccermoms version..

The reason the acela livery doesnt work is something completely different. I did some poking around in the railworks folder and found the installer for the acela livery ( as opposed to the rpk file ). IT wants a serial number and registration, so, it seems pretty obvious to me that this is a rip off someone did, and god only knows wher the original came from..

Lionheart
May 10th, 2010, 08:47
Rail Sim, and yeah, thats a possibility, even though supposedly, railworks is nothing more than rail sim renamed and reboxed. I dont really believe that, but it is true from a historical and business standpoint. The name change happened when RS.com took over the product from EA Games..

Another possibility is that i have the wrong version of the product the paints are for. Instead of Joe blows F-7 for example, I have sally soccermoms version..

The reason the acela livery doesnt work is something completely different. I did some poking around in the railworks folder and found the installer for the acela livery ( as opposed to the rpk file ). IT wants a serial number and registration, so, it seems pretty obvious to me that this is a rip off someone did, and god only knows wher the original came from..

eeeeks! Roger that..

Sorry to hear that on the Acela. I would like to have the Amtrack also. We need a good Amtrack route.

They must be pretty dang difficult to make if none are coming out, or at least not alot of them are coming out. You would think with all the Editing equipment (software) out, that tons of scenery would be flowing out of everywhere....

I think that RW, from bits and pieces I have read, has some updates to it over Rail Sim.

On the DUM 220 I got last night.... (yes, the saga continues)

Seems I picked the only one single Scenario that works with the 220, lolololol.... LOLOLOL.... ARRGHH!!!!!

Alll the rest crashed on startup. Had all these warning messages, no connections ahead, etc, etc... Only 'Exit' or 'Edit' as my options into scenarios.

I must need a update or something.

At least one of the many Scenarios worked. :d I am glad for that. Awesome train. Thanks Pam for the heads up on it.

:ernae:

I might slap some Amtrack paint on the side of it. :d

warchild
May 10th, 2010, 14:43
Thats not the 220 doing that.. As soon as you said the words Edit and Exit, i had a cold chill run down my spine and a hollow pit in my stomach..
I've been having a "few" issues with RW since i completely re-installed it.. The first issue ( and tell me if this sounds familiar ) comes when i load the cotton and northern route on a free roam scenario. It reports broken consists at these GPS coordinates that are like, a million miles away from anything developed on the route, and gives me the option to edit or exit. IF i edit, and simply open the editor and save it, rw reports and extra "2" broken consists for a total of 4 and gives me the option again to edit or exit.. Mind you, up until this fresh install with the newest update, colton and northern worked perfectly.
I Finally got the DD-40X to install ( after at least 20 tries) by downloading a fresh copy ( which makes three copies on my machine now ) and installing it ( now to figure out how to make it WORK like a DD-40 can. seriously, at the moment, it cant pull a twig off a tree)..
I'm telling ya, I think someone broke something in this last update. Something serious and not fun at all.. You have two trains right now that are both exhibiting the same problem with scenarios, and i have a scenario which i know for a fact once worked but no longer does.. And i dont think we're the only two people having these issues.. :(..

warchild
May 10th, 2010, 14:49
I'm gonna put the 220 through its paces and run every scenario it came with.. May do that with all my routes.. I want to find this bug and lock it down.. Will keep everyone informed..

warchild
May 10th, 2010, 15:42
JT - Cajon Pass test run: Passengers ride above and in front of the train... ( Barstow )
JT - Winters voyager ( Oxford to paddington ) seems to work
JT - Across country to Oxdor ( Oxford to paddington ) seems to work
JT - Into the night n( oxford to Paddington ) Errors!!!
Driver: manchester to bournemouth at lat/lon/ Many failures see logmate
Driver: Oxford to Paddington at lat/lon many failures, see logmate
driver: banbury to reading at lat/lon, cant find destination Reading 7
driver: 1955 oxford to paddington at lon/lat: route is blocked, banbury to reading
Edit Exit

JT - Voyager Free roam ( oxford to paddington ) seems to work
JT - Surprised and dreaming ( Bath to templecombe ) seems to work
JT - Voyager free roam ( Bath to templecombe ) seems to work
JT - In your dreams ( NewCastle to York ) Errors:
Driver: Aberdeen to London at lat/lon: route is blocked: dunham to york
Driver: Glasgow to london at Lat/lon: many errors, see logmate
driver: Dunham to york at lat/lon: route is blocked, Glasgow to london

Lenne Valley Voyager is not available on railworks..

Let me know what you find. Obviously, theres a problem. several in fact, but finding the nature of the beast may get interesting.. :)
Hope i can help a little
Pam

warchild
May 10th, 2010, 15:50
In regards to the 220's paint kit, its quite confusing. there are four main files, and they are all identical, not to mention that everything is a rectangle and finding the nose of the train is downright mind boggling.. And these guys couldnt keep it simple.. After you paint the psd files, you have to convert them from psd to another format and then possibly convert that into yet a third format. i dont know, i'm very confused there.. I'll learn what i can though.. :)

warchild
May 10th, 2010, 15:57
I'll be glad when they start doing routes with american names, like from mules Ass ( Wyoming? ) to Hell ( michigan ) ...

Lionheart
May 10th, 2010, 19:24
In regards to the 220's paint kit, its quite confusing. there are four main files, and they are all identical, not to mention that everything is a rectangle and finding the nose of the train is downright mind boggling.. And these guys couldnt keep it simple.. After you paint the psd files, you have to convert them from psd to another format and then possibly convert that into yet a third format. i dont know, i'm very confused there.. I'll learn what i can though.. :)

lololol....

I learned a long time ago to make proper paint kits. People love to paint their own skins on things they get. If you make it difficult, less people will make them, and less enthusiasm grows....

Bill

warchild
May 10th, 2010, 23:37
Welllllllllllllll, i succeeded on the DD-40 for the rock island livery, but, so far have failed miserably on the class 221..
Now i gotta edit the dd-40s performance ( couldnt pull a booger out of its nose ) and sounds ( sounds like a chipmunk convention played in slow motion ).. Oh well, for six bucks i cant complain..
If anyone wants the DD-40 rock island livery let me know.. You'll need to edit the files if you want to keep the UP livery as I also have the weathered DD-40 and can have it either way on my machine..