PDA

View Full Version : OT: Labradoodle breeder has regrets

Snuffy
May 3rd, 2010, 03:36
Bad dog ... :running:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/05/02/labradoodle-pioneer-regrets-fashioning-designer-dog/?test=faces

Kiwikat
May 3rd, 2010, 03:49
Take two dogs I already don't like... and then breed them together. Though I don't know if it is any worse than people buying little yipee dogs all the time. :barf:

I doubt I'll ever own a dog that isn't a purebred hound. :jump:

Lionheart
May 3rd, 2010, 05:29
Wierd. He creates a cross breed. Everyone loves them. And now he regrets it? A pioneer and he regrets it?

arrghh.. .

Snuffy
May 3rd, 2010, 05:38
I think the point to apply here Bill is this: The guy was a member of a purebred breeding society first and foremost.

The fact that his "mutt" is outselling purebreds I think is the real issue here.

I don't think that he's apolgetic toward the crossbreed as much as he's apolgetic to the pure breed ...

At least that's the way I read it.

Navy Chief
May 3rd, 2010, 05:42
My sister has a "Goldendoodle" named Bella. Smartest, sweetest dog I have ever met (well, except for my Rottweiler, "Chief", of course!)

NC

cheezyflier
May 3rd, 2010, 05:58
one of the things that blows my mind is people's attitudes towards dogs these days. when i was a kid, 99% of all dog owners had mutts. you got them when someone was giving away free puppies. if the dog had some kind of weird disorder that required surgery to survive, you did the right thing and put the dog down. later, you got another dog. i paid $250 for my 1st beag, and the 2nd was a freebie. i was in the pet store sat cause i like to look at the puppies. tri color beag just like my sophie was selling for $800. the dog i initially wanted, a bernese mountain dog, sells for $2500. around here there are no mutts like the ones we had when i was a kid. some dogs you couldn't even tell all the stuff they had in 'em. i think people get too serious about things anymore.

OBIO
May 3rd, 2010, 06:05
What I don't get is why people are paying so much for mutts. I have seen Labradoodles, puggles, and other "fashion mutts" going for $1000, $1500, $2000 a pup....for mutts! A mutt is a mutt, regardless of how "fashionable" it is. The most I would ever pay for a mutt is $50. Now, I don't have anything against mutts, the best dog I have ever owned was a mutt. Spud, the doggie in my avatar, was a mutt. Part Basenji, part Jack Russell, part Boxer or something along those lines, Spud was a good ol' American Mutt! $50 at a local pet store who had him on "display" for the local pound. Spud was the most amazing dog I have ever had....sadly he died of seizures when he was only 17 months old (the Basenji is prone to hypothyroidism and seizures). I have had many mutts during my life time....and feel that mix breed dogs are often smarter, calmer, and more loyal than pure breds...but there is no way I would ever pay big bucks for a mutt....no matter how many Hollywierd stars have them and how popular they are.

Out in Amish Country....which is just a handful of miles from my house....there are 4 or 5 puppy mills cranking out these Fashion Mutts. Labradoodles, Puggles, Beaddles and such. I am definitely anti-puppy mill. Nothing but genetically inferior, diseased and abused animals come out of puppy mills.

OBIO

Snuffy
May 3rd, 2010, 06:23
We should be careful here guys, we're probably talking bad about DOGknot's and Lucky DOG's cousins or something ... they'll probably get upset.

LOL. :wavey:

(so for the record I apologise to those guys for posting this to start with ... but, I found it interesting nonetheless.)

Ken Stallings
May 3rd, 2010, 10:09
Take two dogs I already don't like... and then breed them together. Though I don't know if it is any worse than people buying little yipee dogs all the time. :barf:

Wow! I have to say this is the first time I have seen someone say they don't like labrador retrievers! I am surprised as they are great dogs!

Anyway, overall, I think the breeders take this stuff way too seriously. The dogs don't care about the purebreed standards. I'm like the point of view expressed in a recent Miller High Life ad where the two drivers show up by mistake at a dog show and express their shock and disgust with the folks they see! "Is that a portrait of a dog!" :icon_lol:

Cross breeding to produce new breeds with the best traits of the original two has been going on for eons and there is nothing wrong with it. Like I said, the dogs don't care and if it produces a breed with qualities people like, then I'm all for it. Let the customers vote with their wallets and satisfaction levels and keep the disappointment out of it.

All of my dogs have either been freebies from family or rescued from the pound. All are mutts to one degree or another. The recent addition is a female puppy my wife brought up -- half Brittany and half chocolate lab. Outstanding dog! Very affectionate and playful. Has been great for my lab simply by increasing her energy level. Every single one have been excellent family pets and that's the main thing!

Ken

traindriver98
May 3rd, 2010, 11:33
Every dog I have owned has ether been a stray or was found at a shelter, like SPCA, Humane Society or the Pound. I will not go anywhere else. I am picking up another one today, a female Shepherd mix. She will make 7 over the past 30 years.

Willy
May 3rd, 2010, 11:44
I've never been a fan of either Labs or Poodles. Just not my type of dog. I was raised with Collies both regular and border. One of the best dogs I ever had was a Border Collie mix that I got at a humane society in Texarkana. Don't know what all else was in her, but the Border Collie sure shown through. She died in a shooting accident and it was years before I had another dog that I thought as much of.

I've been raising Miniature Pinschers for about 10 years now and don't see my going to any other breed.

Henry
May 3rd, 2010, 12:14
at this moment i have 3 dogs
all purebreds and all rescue dogs
a basset, a ****su, and a Great Pyrenees
i have had in the past 3 old English sheepdogs
the first a rescue dog
i actually brought him over from the UK
he was a great dog
the second i purchased and he had no bark
and died in a year
the third i purchased he was also a good dog.
I have also had 3 St bernards
one i purchased the others were bred by me
i have had one jump out of a top story window
my favorite if i had to choose and thats tough
would be Oliver the basset
he does not leave my sight
he follows me everywhere
and for a 68 pound basset
he sits on my lap he is heavy.
cross breeds could lead to all kinds of problems
with pure breeds at least i have some idea of what they are like
My daughter has a collie and a Beagle
another 2 fine dogs
H

cheezyflier
May 3rd, 2010, 13:48
at this moment i have 3 dogs
all purebreds and all rescue dogs
a basset, a ****su, and a Great Pyrenees

that's just too funny that name got censored :icon_lol:

Ken Stallings
May 3rd, 2010, 14:25
that's just too funny that name got censored :icon_lol:

Yeah, I was laughing too when I saw that! :icon_lol:

Henry, don't let your dog get you banned, man! :)

Ken

tigisfat
May 3rd, 2010, 14:32

Enter my puppy, 'Memphis Belle'. She's a purebred black and tan Bloodhound.

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/walkeramerican/Memphis/000_0004.jpg

tigisfat
May 3rd, 2010, 14:40
I don't give a rat's behind one way or the other. I've had plenty of both. When I'm in between dogs and thinking about another one after an acceptable amount of time from the previous one's passing, most of the time I'll stop in the shelters every now and then until I find one that seems to think I'm alright and vice versa. I kinda go around grabbing puppies or younger adult dogs and saying: "could you and I go to the park together? Can you stay outta trouble?" Most of the time, the second question is answered once it's home in the negative. Every once in a while, I'll pick some random purebred of a breed I always admired, much like my bloodhound now.

It's a 'whatever' thing. Who cares which is better or politically and/or socially correct. Gimme a break. A dog is a dog and they ALL need good homes, from the free to the 10,000 dollar kind.

It drives me batty when the uppety mutt people act like you're a jerk for getting a dog that's not from a shelter, and the crowd who're insulted when you tell them their 'golden doodle' is a mutt are equally bad. Both sides are wrong. A dog is a dog.

BTW, golden doodles and labradoodles are AWESOME dogs. They look like muppets.:icon_lol:

GT182
May 3rd, 2010, 14:52
I wouldn't say they're so called "Mutts". He did something out of neccessity and should feel good about it. And they're a breed unto their selves now, that many people want dispite the cost.

The only thing I don't care for about large dogs of any breed is..... landmines.

We've had two of what I call ****zy-Poos for 12 years now. 100.00 each when they were puppies and would fit in the palm of your hand. Now it takes two hands just to pick em up. No shedding is great but those little landmines are hard to see at times. When these go we'll be landmine free and can travel again without the worry of.... are we taking them, gonna board them, or stay home. It gets to be a bit too much at times.

I don't mean to put anyone down for owning or wanting a dog. But man, you have to be willing to give up alot. I love ours to death and won't part with em, but it's a handful most of the time for all that goes with them.... good and bad.

Oh, get this. The reaal reason we got them. The Warden said it would give me something to do and had to have them. Horse hockey, I've always got something to do.... she says so. ;) Now she'll sit there and say "dam dogs". I sit there and say.... "it was your bright idea to get em, now enjoy em". And I do. :d :icon_lol:

Hey Tig, you ever try and put yer hand in the same spot they do with the Muppets..... and not get bit. I couldn't resist and had to ask. ;)

tigisfat
May 3rd, 2010, 15:48
Hey Tig, you ever try and put yer hand in the same spot they do with the Muppets..... and not get bit. I couldn't resist and had to ask. ;)No, but I'll bet if you try you can make them talk. :kilroy:

Piglet
May 3rd, 2010, 19:29
All my dogs have been mutts, either found strays, or pound rescues. Well, we did have a Beagle while back. Chronic poop-eater, yuck!!
If I could afford a "purebred" it would be a Swedish Vahlhund.

wombat666
May 3rd, 2010, 23:52
All my dogs have been mutts, either found strays, or pound rescues. Well, we did have a Beagle while back. Chronic poop-eater, yuck!!
If I could afford a "purebred" it would be a Swedish Vahlhund.

We recently added another Beagle to our pack, a handsome little dog who was up for adoption at the Melbourne 'Lost Dogs Home'.
How anyone can abandon a dog like that (or any dog to be honest!) floors me.
'Skippy' has integrated into our tribe without any fuss, and has taken to our level of discipline with enthusiasm.
Now we have seven to walk each day .............:173go1:
As for the snacking on poo Tim, that is strictly a matter of bad training and no discipline.
Only ever had one that tried that as a 12 week old pup and he lost the 'taste' after a week of boot camp!!

Astoroth
May 4th, 2010, 00:41
As a dog lover through and through I have to say, you get the good and the bad in every breed, no matter whether purebred or "mutt".

We have 2 female yellow labs, both purebred, that my son bought for $400 apiece. One is a darling, very affectionate and loving. The other is an idiot, plain and simple. NEVER shuts up, can bark all day long at a leaf, won't have a thing to do with people, other than run up, take you hand in her mouth (but not bite), then immediately run and hide in the dog house, only to repeat it again in about a minute.

We also have one of those "designer mutts", Coco, our Shih-Poo. Yup, a Shih-Tzu + toy poodle cross. Paid $200 for her, and she is our baby. The most loyal, loving affectionate dog we have ever had. Will play all day with her people, but when you don't want to play she is curled up on your lap just loving and waiting for a belly rub. right now as I type this she is curled up at my feet, using one of them for a pillow. Will patiently lay there until I am ready to get up, then will follow me wherever I go and warm my lap for me. I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world.

Have also had my share of "Pound mutts". Once had a mutt that was a cross of Collie, Saint Bernard, Chow and something else, don't remember at the moment. Big, hairy, strong as an ox! He walked you, you didn't walk him, hehe. He was a good dog with the kids, they rode him like a horse. Had various mutts that I have no idea what was in them. Loved them all. Heck, love all dogs. Cats, on the other hand, are a different story.......

Here's a picture of my Coco:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Astoroth/puppy/cocowhite.jpg
Yeah, I know, she's overdue for a haircut, lol!

~A~