PDA

View Full Version : For those SOHers that like a good mystery.

Cazzie
May 2nd, 2010, 13:45
Premiering tonight on PBS's Masterpiece Mystery is Foyle's War: Series IV, The Russian House. In case any of you have never seen any of the Foyle's War mysteries, I must highly recommend you get some good chocolate, sit back, and be entertained in the old mystery form of entertainment.

Caz

HighGround22
May 2nd, 2010, 13:57
Thankee kindly for the HU, Caz. Foyle's War's one of those PBS series that I've always meant to watch, but for whatever reason, I never actually got around to it. No excuses, tonight.

TeaSea
May 2nd, 2010, 15:20
I've seen them all, and really liked the entire series....

They've just announced that new episodes will be produced....so I'm looking forward to it.

I'm madly in love with the character Samantha Stewart (played by Honeysuckle Weeks....whom I'm also madly in love with -- yes, my wife knows this).

Lionheart
May 2nd, 2010, 16:32
I've seen them all, and really liked the entire series....

They've just announced that new episodes will be produced....so I'm looking forward to it.

I'm madly in love with the character Samantha Stewart (played by Honeysuckle Weeks....whom I'm also madly in love with -- yes, my wife knows this).

Lololol....

Thanks for the heads up Caz. Sounds like a must see.

Bill

HighGround22
May 3rd, 2010, 17:55
Well, per my promise to myself, I watched it. Well worth the time, and I liked it very much for all the usual reasons, when it comes to those Brit mysteries.

A neighbour dropped-by just as it was finishing, so I didn't get to see what's coming. I do hope I'm correct in assuming that there are others in the series, and that it's just begun -- right? As in, next week? Gotta see how this pans-out!

Thanks again for the steer, Caz!

TeaSea
May 4th, 2010, 15:32
HighGround....

There are 19 total episodes taking you through until VE day, with a bittersweet ending.

I'm fortunate in that my local library has all 19 DVD's. I'm not a big DVD purchaser, but I'm considering ordering this set...

Well, that and all the "Poirot" series with David Suchet....I think he defined that character (his interpretation most closely matched my mental image of the little Belgian detective).

HighGround22
May 4th, 2010, 16:04
. . . There are 19 total episodes taking you through until VE day, with a bittersweet ending.

I'm fortunate in that my local library has all 19 DVD's. I'm not a big DVD purchaser, but I'm considering ordering this set. . . . Yeah, I can understand the compulsion. Acting on a strong whim, I just ordered the lot from Amazon.ca, where one of the associate providers had a real deal for the whole caboodle. Somehow I don't think I'll regret the outlay.

Moreover, I see that the next set in the series is due for release in June of this year. I'll probably pre-order that one, too.

Sigh! Caz, it's all your fault! See what you've gotten me into!?!

. . . Well, that and all the "Poirot" series with David Suchet....I think he defined that character (his interpretation most closely matched my mental image of the little Belgian detective).Yessir, you'll get no argument from me on that, for certain! Somehow, Suchet manages to take punctiliousness to an infinite level, and yet it's downright fascinating to watch. Then there's the fellow's enormous ego!

Cazzie
May 4th, 2010, 16:28
Look at the good side, 19 episodes of Honeysuckle Weeks. :ernae: Sweet dimples, what a lovely mouth.

Have to agree on Poirot, Suchet play the role to the epitome. Ditto the old Sherlock Homles mysteries with Jeremy Brett in the lead role. To me, he was the quintessential Holmes and the only Holmes to ever play the character by the book.

Caz

TeaSea
May 5th, 2010, 15:59
Peter Ustinov played Poirot several times, and while I like him as an actor, and enjoyed those movies, I don't think he really captured the character. He's too large a man for one, and didn't seem to convey that air of anal retentiveness that Suchet did.

Ahhhhh, Honeysuckle Weeks and her dimples......

Seriously, I have a theory that certain British actors would not have much of a chance in the U.S., because we've gotten into this theory of beauty that's just so bizarre. Actors are becoming more female, and actresses are becoming the same person....I can hardly tell them apart. Anyone with distinguishing characteristics that doesn't fit the "perfect" mold as defined by a small group in Hollywood would struggle...

That would have left out the Lauren Bacall's of the world as well as the Honeysuckle Weeks.

Well, my scatterbrained theory anyway......

Collin
May 6th, 2010, 04:24
You can also watch the first CIS program on DVD now- "Cadfael"

Excellent series set in the middle-ages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadfael

regards Collin:ernae:

TeaSea
May 6th, 2010, 16:07
Cadfael is another one of my favorites...and the local library only has a couple episodes, so I've most of the series to watch yet. Love Derek Jacobi....

But he's not Honeysuckle Weeks.....Okay, I know, I'm twice her age, she's married, I'm married, but maybe it would work out......

And Derek is much older than I am, so I don't see that going anywhere.

Collin
May 6th, 2010, 22:04
Cadfael is another one of my favorites...and the local library only has a couple episodes, so I've most of the series to watch yet. Love Derek Jacobi....

But he's not Honeysuckle Weeks.....Okay, I know, I'm twice her age, she's married, I'm married, but maybe it would work out......

And Derek is much older than I am, so I don't see that going anywhere.

Why don't you and Honeysuckle meet in the middle and float around getting to know one another?:icon_lol:

Cadfael comes in a 4dvd box set now.

TeaSea
May 7th, 2010, 17:16
Ooohhhh....

4 box DVD....that would include "Rose Rents" I suppose.....

Collin
May 8th, 2010, 00:13
Ooohhhh....

4 box DVD....that would include "Rose Rents" I suppose.....

Yep, here's the complete listing...

DVD1 Series 1

One Corpse too Many
The Sanctuary Sparrow
The Leper of St Giles
Monk's Hood

DVD2 Series 2

The Virgin in the Ice
The Devil's Novice
A Morbid Taste for Bones

DVD3 Series 3

The Rose Rent
St Peter's Fair
The Raven in the Foregate

DVD4 Series 4

The Holy Thief
The Potters Field
Pilgrim of Hate

Beware that some of those available in the US are for region 2, like this one, which is also the cheapest available on US Ebay at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cadfael-Complete-Collection-DVD-FS-NEW-SEALED-/250604826759?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=%257B%2522Page%2522%253A%2522http%253A%252F%2 52Fcatalog.ebay.com%252FCadfael-Collector-Set-DVD-2005-13-Disc-Collectors-Set-%252F44141940%253F_aset%253D0%2526_dmpt%253DUS_DVD _HD_DVD_Blu_ray%2526_htch%253D1%2526_pcatid%253D1% 2526_rptype%253D4295%2526_sticky%253D1%2526_tab%25 3D2%2526_trksid%253Dp4295.c0.m299%2526_sop%253D15% 2526_sc%253D1%2526hash%253Ditem3a59363087%2522%257 D

Of course you can always have a look for "Sharpe" or "HornBlower" or "Rome", which were rather lavish well made series.

hewman100
May 8th, 2010, 00:48
Does the ole heart good to see these quintisensially British series are such a hit with you folks.

I can thoroughly recommend to those of a 'Poirot persuasion' to try and seek out the BBCs Miss Marples, with the title role played by Joan Hickson. The best Marple with the exception of Margeret Rutherford :icon_lol:

Oh don't forget 'Morse' or 'Frost'.