PDA

View Full Version : It's Alive! - Back up from a full Windows 7 format and FSX reload.

FAC257
May 2nd, 2010, 12:26
Got a wild hair yesterday and decided to do the full format routine.

Blitzed the C: drive yesterday about lunch time and re-installed Windows 7. By the time I went to bed last night I had the basic hardware, software, & system drivers all back up and running and everything fully online and updated. As I went to bed PD11 was simultaneously defragging all 4 cleaned up hardrives.

Right after breakfast this AM, I started on the fun software installs, saving FSX for last. As of about an hour or so ago FSX is all back up and running, basic tweaks and coordination with nHancer all good to go. She's fully flyable including ready to go online.

The only thing left is to start plopping in the payware aircraft and scenery stuff which goes pretty quick.

I look for any excuse for a reformat, but since the original install of W7, it took me a while to come up with a good enough list of reasons to go for it. :)

It took a while of watching how W7 worked and reacted to different things. I've also been gathering better W7 drivers and and dumping drivers and software that weren't needed anymore. Then the final piece of the puzzle was finally pulling the POS driverless Creative X-FI out of here and letting the onboard sound take over duties. It's a little SoundMax, but at least it has a real set of W7 drivers and software that works. It'll hold the fort down until I'm ready for a new one.

Man, it feels good to do that!

FAC

roger-wilco-66
May 2nd, 2010, 12:34
Congrats!

I wonder, is there a need for a special soundcard in FSX and under W7 ?

I will switch to W7 ( from XP ) in the near future, but mind you, not before I finished a certain project....

Cheers,
Mark

txnetcop
May 2nd, 2010, 12:47
WINDOWS 7 absolutely rocks FSX! Sounds like you tamed the beast! congrats buddy
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

FAC257
May 2nd, 2010, 13:22
I wonder, is there a need for a special soundcard in FSX and under W7 ?

Actually I think at the moment it would just be any sound card not made by Creative. At the very least not an X-Fi card. :)

I am extremely loyal to brands that I like and Creative/Sound Blaster have always been my sound cards of choice. It just seems that W7 sort of left Creative standing by the way side scratching their heads. Their driver support seems to be really poor with W7.

If I go for a brand new sound card for this system it looks like the Asus Xonar line has my attention. If I were to go build a totally new computer for W7, I might lean a little more towards a motherboard with a good onboard sound setup. If I understand W7 correctly, I think the need for the extra piece of hardware in a sound card isn't as neccesary as it used to be and it may be preferable not to have one.

FAC

GT182
May 2nd, 2010, 14:38
FAC, did you also go with a new GFX card, and one that will run DX11?

I'm hoping to build another computer before the year is out, and will more than likely install Win7. Maybe even do a dual instal and run XP too. The only thing I really need to decide on is 32 or 64 bit systems. Reason for that is SHIII is 32 bit only [and I have it set up as I want it], while most other sims will run with 64 bit.

I will have at least one 1TB SATA HDD, and maybe a 500GB to go with it. Might even use the 1TB drive as storage only. ;)

FAC257
May 2nd, 2010, 15:08
I haven't made it as far as a full W7 purpose built computer yet. That's still a little bit in the future. But I'm settled on about 80%-90% of the parts if I were to build it now.

I'm still running my trusty 8800GTSOC graphics card. When I bring up W7/Nvidia system properties it says I'm running DX10, but I know my old card isn't actually doing that. :)

Underneath this is still a 1st generation purpose built FSX computer system. Even as old as it is, with W7 installed it runs FSX just fine and actually seems to be a little better combo than it was with XP as the OS. The only issues I'm starting to run into are with some of the newer more complex aircraft on top of certain scenery/weather utilities combos. I really would like to make the bump to 64 bit so that I could access more memory.

FAC

NoNewMessages
May 2nd, 2010, 16:32
I know it sounds like a very boring task, but backing up the default files for things like textures and effects can come in handy down the road. Fits nicely on one DVD if you use a good zip utility.

Having done support for a vendor and seeing the problems that various addons can create when they want "their" version of a texture/effect file to overwrite a default file... A default file that's already been overwritten by another add on....

Like I said, fits nicely onto 1 DVD.

FAC257
May 2nd, 2010, 17:16
Tucked away several folders deep on one of my hard drives is a complete virgin copy of the full FSX/Acceleration installation. I've been keeping a second un-modified copy of the installed FSX, since almost day one, just in case. :)

FAC

PutPut
May 2nd, 2010, 18:23
Congrats!

I will switch to W7 ( from XP ) in the near future, but mind you, not before I finished a certain project....

Cheers,
Mark

I've been using that excuse since last October!!!!

Paul

harleyman
May 2nd, 2010, 18:37
Actually I think at the moment it would just be any sound card not made by Creative. At the very least not an X-Fi card. :)

I am extremely loyal to brands that I like and Creative/Sound Blaster have always been my sound cards of choice. It just seems that W7 sort of left Creative standing by the way side scratching their heads. Their driver support seems to be really poor with W7.

If I go for a brand new sound card for this system it looks like the Asus Xonar line has my attention. If I were to go build a totally new computer for W7, I might lean a little more towards a motherboard with a good onboard sound setup. If I understand W7 correctly, I think the need for the extra piece of hardware in a sound card isn't as neccesary as it used to be and it may be preferable not to have one.

FAC

XP...Vista...Win7 do not need sound cards ....

Sound cards IMO are a thing of the past.....The OS is not concerned....

We used dedicated Sound Cards in the past to keep the CPU from not being responsible for producing sound..That was in the day of the old Pent.4,s and the like..Point was to use a sound card, as they had their own processors, leaving that wee bit extra that the CPU used, and our games needed.

Since Core 2 Dous and Quads, Sound cards have not been needed...Unless you really wanted to , for pushing large massive speakers, like a home theatre set up..

So,,,recap...The OS has nothing to do with sound...Its all from the Motherboard, or Sound card !

And for years now Creative drivers have been flawed....Expecially on EVGA Intel Boards...

stansdds
May 3rd, 2010, 04:34
I'm in 100% agreement with Harleyman. Sound cards did and still do free up CPU cycles, but today's CPU's has so much capacity that the benefit of a sound card is negligible. If you are an audiophile, then a top of the line sound card may be a necessity, but for the vast majority it is a waste of time and money.

Snuffy
May 3rd, 2010, 04:43
I'm still running XP Pro and since the advent of the system that its running on, I'm using the motherboard sound circuitry ...

Got a 6 speaker surround sound set up that sounds just great with the onboard sound systems.

This runs with the motherboard provided drivers.