PDA

View Full Version : OT: Makin your favorite food ... Hot Dogs ...

Snuffy
May 2nd, 2010, 06:14
Sorry if this ruins some of ya'lls eatin habits ... LOL!

Nothing graphic, enjoy!

(oh let the commerical play frist. )

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/how-hot-dogs-are-made/5d9x4eic

brad kaste
May 2nd, 2010, 08:44
'Unable to Connect' window displays. Tried three times....

cheezyflier
May 2nd, 2010, 10:01
no video for canadia :frown:

since the subject of hotdogs has come up though, i must give this town some credit. growing up american you get so used to hearing the phrase "as american as hot dogs and apple pie"

well, my fellow americans, be ashamed. here in toronto, you can get a far better hotdog, for a better price, from any street vendor, than you can anywhere in the states i have ever been. no crappy hotdogs floating in a bacteria laden tank of lukewarm water like you get at a phillies or blue rocks game. here, for $2.75 can
you get a jumbo beef hot dog cooked over an open flame right in front of you, and nestled between the folds of a toasted bun. be ashamed. (then come here and get a hot dog the way God and nature intended)

JoeW
May 2nd, 2010, 10:18
I used to watch that ........ I don't bother anymore. If I like something, I eat it anyway ........

I slice up some onions and boil them with the dogs, or brats.
:applause:

TARPSBird
May 2nd, 2010, 10:27
My favorite dogs are Hebrew Nationals. :) I broil 'em in the toaster oven. Great on a toasted bun with all the standard condiments, or on a plate with potato salad or mac and cheese.

http://www.hebrewnational.com/images/history/100-years/100_image_3.jpg

Scrapple is probably the No.1 meat product that people don't really want to know how it's made. ;)

OBIO
May 2nd, 2010, 10:34
There are very few foods that seeing how it is made would stop me from eating it.....I grew up in a family made up of backwoods hilljacks who made and ate stuff like hog brains, blood sausage....and yes, it was made from real blood....hog's blood, onion, pepper, salt, boiled up, stuffed into sausage skins and pressure cooked.

OBIO

brad kaste
May 2nd, 2010, 12:21
There are very few foods that seeing how it is made would stop me from eating it.....I grew up in a family made up of backwoods hilljacks who made and ate stuff like hog brains, blood sausage....and yes, it was made from real blood....hog's blood, onion, pepper, salt, boiled up, stuffed into sausage skins and pressure cooked.

OBIO

OBIO,....I think I could deal with the blood sausage ok. It's the hog brains I'm not too sure about.:redf: How were they prepared? Were they mixed in with some sort of extender? Or simply fried or baked and you ate them that way? Finally,....what'd they taste like?
I guess it's all in one's upbringing where it's a treat with one group of persons,...and revolting to others......Don't think they'll be hawking hog brains on a bun at Wrigley Field all too soon.........

TARPSBird
May 2nd, 2010, 13:27
....I grew up in a family made up of backwoods hilljacks who made and ate stuff like hog brains, blood sausage....and yes, it was made from real blood....hog's blood, onion, pepper, salt, boiled up, stuffed into sausage skins and pressure cooked.
OBIO
Then you probably would enjoy a couple slices of scrapple fried up to just a little crunchy, served with eggs to order and grits or fried 'taters. :) I had some really excellent blood sausage in Spain. Not something I would normally eat but it was the house specialty in this little neighborhood bar and the owner insisted I try one tucked inside a hard roll. It was good, nice flavor and no metallic taste like you'd expect.

JoeW
May 2nd, 2010, 14:54
OBIO,....I think I could deal with the blood sausage ok. It's the hog brains I'm not too sure about.:redf: How were they prepared? Were they mixed in with some sort of extender? Or simply fried or baked and you ate them that way? Finally,....what'd they taste like?
I guess it's all in one's upbringing where it's a treat with one group of persons,...and revolting to others......Don't think they'll be hawking hog brains on a bun at Wrigley Field all too soon.........

During WW2 my daddy used to make Brains and scrambled eggs..... great breakfast!

GT182
May 2nd, 2010, 15:00
Just had 2 hotdogs tonight for supper..... with Michigan sauce. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/yum.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/yum.gif

Brian up in Vermont knows what they are..... I think he does. ;)

Bjoern
May 2nd, 2010, 22:04
IKEA's hot dogs are pretty good. :d

GT182
May 3rd, 2010, 06:56
IKEA's hot dogs are pretty good. :d

Not the ones I've had here up in PA's IKEA..... Yuck! Tasted like sawdust.

Snuffy
May 3rd, 2010, 06:59

I think the :d was a dead give way that someone might have been pulling yer leg GT ... LOL! :icon_lol:

Like Traps, I've discovered National Hebrew Brand ... all kosher, no butts ... LOL!

OBIO
May 3rd, 2010, 07:07
I didn't eat the hog's brains or blood sausage....I am of the firm mindset that certain parts of an animal just weren't made to be eaten. Yeah, being half Injun and all, I know that Injuns used every part of the animals they killed....but that doesn't mean they ate every part of the animal. Brains are good for tanning the animal's skin/hide. Blood..well not sure what blood is good for once the animal is dead...but eating it just doesn't seem right.

As far as how the brains were cooked.....bust open the skull, remove the brains, rinse them with clean cool water, tear them up into chunks, drop the chunks onto a hot iron skillet and fry them with a little black pepper. No salt needed as I have been told that brains are very salty. Sometimes the brains would be served with scrambled eggs and toast.

OBIO

Bjoern
May 3rd, 2010, 07:43

I can only speak for Germania's.

I think the :d was a dead give way that someone might have been pulling yer leg GT ... LOL! :icon_lol:!

Actually I wasn't. I really *do* look forward to them each time I'm there.

We sometimes also have a hot dog selling guy in my usually frequented club. His aren't bad either.

n4gix
May 3rd, 2010, 09:13
Then you probably would enjoy a couple slices of scrapple fried up to just a little crunchy, served with eggs to order and grits or fried 'taters.
Mmmm, fried scrapple, grits and eggs! Now you've made me hungry!

Every few years I visit relatives in Kannapolis, NC. While there I take the time to pickup ten pounds of "Frank Corriher's" scrapple (they call it "Liver Mush," but it's the same thing, really!)...

[pause while I go check the chest freezer...]

Dang! I'm down to only three pounds. Time to start thinking about another trip to NC.