PDA

View Full Version : The new AMD hex-cores

Wulf190
May 1st, 2010, 21:02
wonder how well FSX runs on these....

CG_1976
May 1st, 2010, 21:06
Well I'll let you know as soon as the one I ordered arrives. Im replacing my last Intel computer with a AMD machine. Just have to pick the right Nvidia card now and then I can build.

jmig
May 2nd, 2010, 05:44
Well I'll let you know as soon as the one I ordered arrives. Im replacing my last Intel computer with a AMD machine. Just have to pick the right Nvidia card now and then I can build.

I would be interested in seeing your results, also. I am starting to get the "itch" to upgrade to a new AMD only computer.

txnetcop
May 2nd, 2010, 07:21
We tested the 6 core processors from AMD at TechCorp the results were similar to what Guru3D has already posted.( http://guru3d.com/article/phenom-ii-x6-1055t-1090t-review/ ) Which was not a surprise as Hilbert Hagedoorn (http://guru3d.com/bio.php?authorid=2) is adept in CPU design testing.

We did try "A" test with FSX and actually found it to be no faster than a fast CORE2DUO or CORE2QUAD, althought FSX did see all six cores. The i7Core 960 demonstrated much better results with FSX. FSX has not proven to be a good test bed. It is not used by testing facilities because of all the tweaks you can do to skew the results. While nothing earth-shaking has resulted from AMD's venture into six core processors, as they have not overtaken Intel Core i5 750 or Core i7 in speed in most gaming. However, in the area of price/performance they are quite bargain. I would not hesitate to build an FSX system with the Phenom II X6 1090t.
Ted <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

funkydmunky
May 31st, 2010, 18:37
If anyone knows of a review (all tweaks/skews aside, or included) I would be most interested. I have always read that FSX favored Intel and Nvidia. Stands to reason given the era of development. The big boys tend to play it that way (Adobe!) as they tend not to push the envelope, but go for specific code for the majority.
Personally I think this is why the FSX development was axed. It was inherently non-threaded and GFX'ly patched. The DX10 advancements being proof of this. They needed a brand new approach, and the legacy that FS code is/was, nothing but a hindrance, and a money pit.

txnetcop
June 2nd, 2010, 04:34
If anyone knows of a review (all tweaks/skews aside, or included) I would be most interested. I have always read that FSX favored Intel and Nvidia. Stands to reason given the era of development. The big boys tend to play it that way (Adobe!) as they tend not to push the envelope, but go for specific code for the majority.
Personally I think this is why the FSX development was axed. It was inherently non-threaded and GFX'ly patched. The DX10 advancements being proof of this. They needed a brand new approach, and the legacy that FS code is/was, nothing but a hindrance, and a money pit.

Where in the world do you get your information from???
Ted

As far as using the new 6 core AMD processor it does just fine in FSX if that is what you want, however the price equivalent i7 750 setup correctly does just as well and gives up a faster upgrade with i7 870 and 875 for 1156 socket. The six core so far has not been able to match the speed of these. Hopefully more games will appear on the horizon that will utilize all of the AMD six-core potential. FSX did recognize and utilize all six cores in the TechCorp tests.