PDA

View Full Version : Deleting aircraft

TeiscoDelRay
May 1st, 2010, 11:55
Can I delete some of the stock aircraft from FSX? I don't use or like the jet liners and some other planes and want to free up some space. If I delete them will some other things be included such as gauges or?
Thanks,

boxcar
May 1st, 2010, 12:18
Am remembering that to be a no-no from ACOF & before, as it seems to mess things up. FSX is likely the same, imo.

AndyE1976
May 1st, 2010, 18:21
I think any problems are likely to arise from other aircraft using the stock gauges/sounds/effects etc. Also if you're default flight cannot be loaded then it defaults to the microlight, so if that's not there then it may cause an issue.

cheezyflier
May 1st, 2010, 19:56
try moving the skins out of fsx and see what happens. if you have no adverse effects, that would do what you're looking for. you can always move them back

TeiscoDelRay
May 2nd, 2010, 05:41
Thanks I will try that.

Pepere
May 2nd, 2010, 06:13
Just do this:

[fltsim.0]
title=Boeing 737-800 Paint1
sim=Boeing737-800
model=
panel=XXX <----- for ecah aircraft you don't want. It will still be used in traffic.....
sound=
texture=1
kb_checklists=Boeing737-800_check
kb_reference=Boeing737-800_ref
atc_id=N737W
atc_airline=Boeing
atc_flight_number=
ui_manufacturer="Boeing"
ui_type="737-800"
ui_variation="Boeing livery"
ui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"
ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation"
description="One should hardly be surprised that the world's most prolific manufacturer of commercial aircraft is also the producer of the world's most popular jetliner. The 737 became the best-selling commercial jetliner worldwide when orders for it hit 1,831 in June 1987 (surpassing Boeing's own 727 as the previous champ). However, it wasn't always that way\s in the first few years of production, there were so few orders that Boeing considered canceling the program. They didn't, and the airplane has more than proven itself in over three decades of service."

David

TeiscoDelRay
May 2nd, 2010, 07:10
Thanks and that is a great idea but I want to remove the complete aircraft to gain space on my hd.

cheezyflier
May 2nd, 2010, 10:11
Thanks and that is a great idea but I want to remove the complete aircraft to gain space on my hd.

if your hard drive is that small that you are considering this, may i suggest that you can replage that drive with a bigger one for really cheap. it's easy to add an internal drive. i put a 250G drive in the extra cd bay of my dell.
it took me 10 minutes and was sooo simple even a dummy like me didn't screw it up, and some people compare me to bag full of hammers! i spent about $50 on the drive and the kit to mount it in the disc bay. i didn't have a space for another drive because it's a dell and they don't like you foolin with stuff.

Bjoern
May 2nd, 2010, 21:57
Sure you can, but there's add-ons requiring some of their gauges and textures. The defualt missions and default AI traffic will be affected as well.

I've deleted all the non-flyable default AI models (Dash 8, MD-83, Pa-180) because my AI doesn't use them.

tigisfat
May 2nd, 2010, 22:59
There's gotta be a better solution if you really need that space. I think the default aircraft don't take up very much space at all. Your gains might be negligible.

I do delete aircraft all the time for the loading times. I hate waiting 2-3 minutes just to get to my aircraft select screen. Since the aircraft are so tiny, moving them to a jump drive and then deleting them is a good idea too. That way, if you don't like what you've done, you can always just put them back. That's a lot cheaper than buying a hard drive.

Your gauges will still be intact in the main gauges folder, but you may be deleting sounds that other aircraft rely on. Lots of aircraft alias their sound.cfgs to default packs. Then you can just copy the entire sound folder and replace the .CFG when prompted.

Snave
May 3rd, 2010, 01:35

That is NOT the way to gain space on the hard drive. How about deleting the paints of addon aircraft you don't use? Or removing addon scenery in areas where you are not currently flying?

I would suggest that the space savings of removing defaults are in the region of bugger-all when the addons are the ones that generally consume the space. As you can never know what addons are aliasing gauges, sounds or other aspects of the defaults I would recommend you NEVER, EVER remove them. It's quite possible that there are elements of the jets you don't like popping up in addon piston or turbo-prop aircraft - switc panels, gauges, throttle parts, pop-up windows. The sim EXPECTS to see those defaults and so you should not remove them.

Find other ways of saving or creating space: The addon scenery folder does NOT need to be located in the FSX folder, or even on the SAME hard drive - either letter or physical; the aircraft folder needs contain only those aircraft you are using or might need to select for that sim session. Consider creating an `off FSX` folder on a spare drive and simply cut'n'paste the aircraft you are not currently flying to that folder - as you leave everything else installed it's only a copy back to get them active and in the GUI again

I use the `one in, one out` rule on my aircraft folder, as I also can't stand waiting for two minutes for the aircraft selection menu to show. Whenever I add a new aircraft, I move an old one to my `hangar` folder, whcih is on my backup external USB drive. Anything I've not flown for a month or two or is required for AI gets moved, too.

You don't say how many aircraft and paints you have in the simobjects/airplanes folder but consider this: You can only fly one at a time...

Bjoern
May 3rd, 2010, 07:32
In FS9, removing some (useless) default photo sceneries for some cities yielded a 300Mb gain.

Could be FSX has those too.