PDA

View Full Version : Super Cub: New Airfiles coming soon!

mike_cyul
May 1st, 2010, 07:34
From the same dedicated person (Bernt aka 'sg38' who brought you the super-enhanced airfiles for the Carenado C-185), with additional beta testing by a group of other real Super Cub pilots and owners (including Tom, who worked on the initial set), I'm pleased to announce that a new set of enhanced Super Cub airfiles will be available very soon.

These should put things about as close to reality as you are ever likely to get. On top of that, Bernt went through every single model and tailored the airfiles to each specific configuration.

Existing Super Cub customers will receive an email with instructions as to where to download the new airfiles. These emails should be out today.

For new customers, the packages in the Flight Replicas store have already been updated (as of April 30, 2010). Packages at the other distributors will be updated soon (depending on when they get there and how long it takes them to put them up). The new files will have _v11 following the filename.

Have fun! :)

Mike

spotlope
May 1st, 2010, 07:37
Great news, Mike! The original models were a blast to fly, so I'm very interested to see what Bernt and crew come up with. They sure did transform the 185.

mike_cyul
May 1st, 2010, 07:55
If Bernt sees this thread, perhaps he can give a more detailed answer, but for me the differences are in many areas, some small changes, some large. He really went through everything with a fine-toothed comb, so to speak, and has the skill to do it. He must have gone through every graph and entry in the .air file. Quite something. The most noticeable change for me is the behaviour when flaps are lowered - much softer now. I know he spoke with Tom about this, but I'm not quite sure why there is such a significant difference now.

Anyway, everything from take-off/landing runs at different weights, stall behaviours, control stiffening at different airspeeds, engine behaviours, snap rolls, even landing bounce, have all been tweaked or re-written. And lots more.

I had lunch with Bernt in Toronto a few weeks ago - a nice guy, too! We'll be getting together again. :)

Mike

boxcar
May 1st, 2010, 08:51
Mike & Bernt,

Must say that the airfiles are boxcar-certified as being highly enjoyable (_v11). :)

Heading into Fane this a.m., a high-angle, high-altitude bush strip in PNG ala Graham's fine package @ PIS...

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc161/ddublu/sc1.jpg
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc161/ddublu/sc2.jpg
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc161/ddublu/sc3.jpg
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc161/ddublu/sc4.jpg
You are right on time for me too, as this is the last day I have to play for the next several months. Was hoping to secure another good bush plane first & am not in the least disappointed with the bush package. Thanks for making it available without having to purchase a full package of personally unwanted models. :) Excellent work, guys! You should feel really good about them.

gajit
May 1st, 2010, 09:03
Great news :jump::ernae::jump:

boxcar
May 1st, 2010, 09:15
Hi gajit,

Bet you have some great repaints available for this beauty too, eh? The one's you've done for Mike's 'Tros are way tasty. Happen to have a few links handy to point us in the right direction for your skins for the Super Cubs if you have any, please? Thanks. Excellent work you do, man. :) Would like a donation link too, if you have one. The worker is worth the wages.

boxcar
May 1st, 2010, 10:58
Alrightythen...

Found the original monster thread here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=29471 Repaints galor throughout, mighty nice!

Here she be flying close to home, Chadron in north-western Nebraska panhandle/Pine Ridge area...
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc161/ddublu/sc5.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc161/ddublu/sc6.jpg

Kinda hard to stop flying her right now. :)

Anneke
May 1st, 2010, 13:11
Existing Super Cub customers will receive an email with instructions as to where to download the new airfiles. These emails should be out today.Mike

I did not receive any emails...

lawdawg
May 1st, 2010, 13:31
None received as well.
No worries. Will get it when I get it. Thanks Mike and Bernt :)

mike_cyul
May 1st, 2010, 17:22
Nope, sorry, real life got in the way today. Everything's ready, however. Hopefully tomorrow. I'll announce here when the emails are out.

Mike

gajit
May 1st, 2010, 21:27
Would like a donation link too, if you have one. The worker is worth the wages.

Hi boxcar

Kind of you but I would never take anyones money - im just pleased to put something back into the hobby.

Glad you found them.

Regards GJ

mike_cyul
May 2nd, 2010, 06:52
Emails containing the links to the new airfiles have now been sent to all Super Cub customers. :)

Five email addresses were returned as invalid, so if you are one of the ones that don't receive the email, just contact Flight Replicas through the support email.

SimMarket installers have now been updated to _v11 status; still waiting for word from the others. As mentioned, the Flight Replicas store installers are already updated.

Mike

mike_cyul
May 2nd, 2010, 08:25
Just to add a note: I've asked FlightSim Pilot Shop for a customer email list, but no reply yet. They may prefer to just update the installers on their server, and then let everyone know there is a new version available.

If you're a FlightSim Pilot Shop Super Cub customer, and haven't received an email yet, this is why. If (and I mean if) it turns out they would prefer to do things as mentioned above, but you don't want to download the whole package, just contact Flight Replicas support with your order info and you'll receive a link to download just the new airfiles.

Mike

FLighT01
May 2nd, 2010, 08:48
Just got my E-Mail with down load link, installed updated airfiles. VERY NICE!

Perfect with UTX Alaska.

FLighT01
May 2nd, 2010, 09:00
Mike, working on anything new?

2Low
May 2nd, 2010, 09:02
Thanks for continuing to improve this great package Mike.

I received e-mails about the Extreme and Early Variants packages but not about the Deluxe Amphibious model. Just curious if the Deluxe has an update too?

boxcar
May 2nd, 2010, 09:07
Having purchased a fair amount of software from FlightSim.com/fspilotshop, I am recalling a checkbox available that says to tick it "if you would like to know about updates to this product" or something close to that effect. Personally, have not always remembered to tick that little box. Hopefully you'll hear back from them, Mike.

Really enjoying the SuperCub, guys. :) Loving the airfiles with the bush planes package, _v11, thank you!

mike_cyul
May 2nd, 2010, 09:33
Thanks for continuing to improve this great package Mike.

I received e-mails about the Extreme and Early Variants packages but not about the Deluxe Amphibious model. Just curious if the Deluxe has an update too?

Yes, they all have updates. If you have several packages, your name may not have made it to every list (although it should have). Just email me with your order number and I'll send you the link.

Mike

mike_cyul
May 2nd, 2010, 09:34
Having purchased a fair amount of software from FlightSim.com/fspilotshop, I am recalling a checkbox available that says to tick it "if you would like to know about updates to this product" or something close to that effect. Personally, have not always remembered to tick that little box. Hopefully you'll hear back from them, Mike.

Really enjoying the SuperCub, guys. :) Loving the airfiles with the bush planes package, _v11, thank you!

Glad you like 'em. :)

Mike

2Low
May 2nd, 2010, 10:21
Yes, they all have updates. If you have several packages, your name may not have made it to every list (although it should have). Just email me with your order number and I'll send you the link.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I've e-mailed you at your flight-replicas e-mail.

gajit
May 2nd, 2010, 10:47
Hi MIke

Got the update - thanks so much.

Looking forward to the Boomerang and the Super Cub Special :ernae:

Overshoe
May 2nd, 2010, 11:26
Very nice update, Thanks Mike, Tom & Bernt! :salute:

bostar
May 2nd, 2010, 11:59
Iīve download the update but something weird happens: When I begin to taxi (without wind, and very slowly) the piper bounces wildly until it just crashs.

Iīve reinstall the super cup but it happens again :redfire:. Iīve try to reinstall without the update and works as usual.

I havenīt modify nor rename any file...

mike_cyul
May 2nd, 2010, 12:34
Iīve download the update but something weird happens: When I begin to taxi (without wind, and very slowly) the piper bounces wildly until it just crashs.

Iīve reinstall the super cup but it happens again :redfire:. Iīve try to reinstall without the update and works as usual.

I havenīt modify nor rename any file...

Don't know! This is usually the kind of thing that happens with SP2 users, but all is ok when I and the beta testers use the new files. I'll see if I can get Bernt to reply.

In the meantime, you can save the old aircraft.cfg's somewhere, install the new ones, and then cut and paste the old [contact_points]. I think that may take care of things.

Mike

bostar
May 2nd, 2010, 13:11
thanks mike for reply so fast.

It seems to work when replace the the old .cfg instead of new one (and renaming the .air too). But Iīve noticed another thing (with the update): the prop doesnīt stop even when cut off the mixture. It spins counterclockwise in a loop.

My FSX is the SP2 spanish version. Maybe the problem could be the non-english version?

thanks in advance.

SADT
May 2nd, 2010, 13:28
Hi Mike,
Are you sure Flight1 has updated their installers? :confused:
when I look at the Flight1 download page for the Super Cub it says "Version 1.0 - Via direct download (436 MB)"
Shouldn't it read "Version 1.1 - Via direct download (436 MB)"

I hope to be flying the Super Cub very soon!

Cheers,
Craig Tatley

mike_cyul
May 2nd, 2010, 14:00
Hi Mike,
Are you sure Flight1 has updated their installers? :confused:
when I look at the Flight1 download page for the Super Cub it says "Version 1.0 - Via direct download (436 MB)"
Shouldn't it read "Version 1.1 - Via direct download (436 MB)"

I hope to be flying the Super Cub very soon!

Cheers,
Craig Tatley

Flight1 doesn't have the updated version online yet. If you purchase the older version, you will receive the new airfiles via a seperate update in any case, so you don't really need to wait.

Mike

Alan_A
May 2nd, 2010, 14:11
Thanks, Mike, and thanks to Bernt & Co. for getting this together.

One quick question - should realism settings be changed? I usually run at 100 percent realism, but had been keeping the original Super Cubs at about 90 percent, per the manual. Found it made a big difference in handling. Does that still apply, or can realism now be set higher?

Apologies in advance if this info is available somewhere, but if there were release notes included in the download, I missed them, or Windows 7 put them in some obscure place. It's been known to happen...

Thanks again, and will look forward to back about this.

Best,
Alan

mike_cyul
May 2nd, 2010, 15:00
Thanks, Mike, and thanks to Bernt & Co. for getting this together.

One quick question - should realism settings be changed? I usually run at 100 percent realism, but had been keeping the original Super Cubs at about 90 percent, per the manual. Found it made a big difference in handling. Does that still apply, or can realism now be set higher?

Apologies in advance if this info is available somewhere, but if there were release notes included in the download, I missed them, or Windows 7 put them in some obscure place. It's been known to happen...

Thanks again, and will look forward to back about this.

Best,
Alan

Good question. I don't remember us discussing this, but knowing Bernt, I think 100% realism is most definately the way to go.

I'll ask Bernt (not sure where in the world he is right now), and will include this on the airfile update page and elsewhere on the website when it's certain (and here, as well).

Mike

JoeW
May 2nd, 2010, 15:00
I guess Flight1 doesn't have the updated one yet. You'll need to be patient a little longer! :)

Mike

I purchased it Saturday at Flight1 and got the update today. This is great ......
She does bounce on a crabby landing though.
:salute:

bstolle
May 3rd, 2010, 01:35
Hi Folks,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Glad you like the new files :)
Originally I had planned to make the new files only for the 'standard' version as this is naturally the basic, most beautiful, nicest version to fly (and the only one I used to fly IRL).
You can take off, cruise (at a low power setting) and make a three point landing with full flaps without ever touching the trim.
I started the new airfile design from a clean sheet of paper (in the true sense of the word and its increadible how much paper accumulates in the computer age!)
So the design took rather long. (It's still not perfect but I had to stop somewhere as I was approaching 200hrs just for the standard version).
My own Super Cub time is too long ago to be useful for exact programing, so the feedback and insights from Tom and Dave were as important as they were informative.
As a lot of requests came from RW bushpilots like Glenn, I simply had to make the other 17 versions as well. Their development did cost a fraction of time as there are few 'hard' data available and I didn't find a single RW 'extreme' pilot for testing.
Realism: 100% all the way. Furthermore it's essential that you make sure that your yoke/stick is so calibrated that it reaches 100% travel. If e.g. the rudder doesn't achieve full deflection you are not going to be able to enter a spin via a standard entry.
Bouncing: she does bounce a tad more now and a non-bouncing three pointer is more difficult to achieve now, (but more satisfying ;)).
If you experience this problem with the new files you can try copying the 'contact point' section from the original cfg and pasting it into the new one, this 'should' help.
Please note that the minimum requirement for the Super Cub package is FSX + Acceleration and not only FSX SP2 as these are different!
Furthermore it might be framerate related as well. I have mine locked at 40. 30 being the absolute minimum for me.
Best regards
Bernt

JoeW
May 3rd, 2010, 05:59
I just made a 45 minute flight and in the process lost the EGT, oil pressure, and the com radios. This was in the extreme. Is this normal?
I really like these ......

bstolle
May 3rd, 2010, 06:26
I know of one other guy who also lost the electrics after about 30-40min flying time but with the 'original' release version, you're sure that happens only with the new files? I didn't touch the 'electrics'....

mike_cyul
May 3rd, 2010, 06:41
I just made a 45 minute flight and in the process lost the EGT, oil pressure, and the com radios. This was in the extreme. Is this normal?
I really like these ......

Hi Joe,

This usually only happens when starting with a saved flight in which the previous aircraft had a generator/altenator switch in the off position, or something similar. As the Super Cub doesn't have such a switch, you just end up using up the battery.

Mike

italoc
May 3rd, 2010, 06:48
Just to add a note: I've asked FlightSim Pilot Shop for a customer email list, but no reply yet. They may prefer to just update the installers on their server, and then let everyone know there is a new version available.

If you're a FlightSim Pilot Shop Super Cub customer, and haven't received an email yet, this is why. If (and I mean if) it turns out they would prefer to do things as mentioned above, but you don't want to download the whole package, just contact Flight Replicas support with your order info and you'll receive a link to download just the new airfiles.

Mike

I received my mail, downloaded it and installed :jump:
Perfect and efficient :salute:
Such a nice follow up service: congrats
Thanks a lot

Italo

JoeW
May 3rd, 2010, 07:05
Hi Joe,

This usually only happens when starting with a saved flight in which the previous aircraft had a generator/altenator switch in the off position, or something similar. As the Super Cub doesn't have such a switch, you just end up using up the battery.

Mike

Well .. I did start from a "Prevous Flight" That I had saved. But it was with the Cessna 185.
The batt was charging .... I looked at the gauge, But I could not get them back on. I exited FSX and restarted and got them back. I knew that something happened because I still had the oil temp and it was OK ..

olderndirt
June 5th, 2010, 07:11
Mike
This is the 'other' beta tester on the cubs. There seems to be a problem with your 'contact' email address on the Flight Replicas site. A friend on another forum's been trying to place an order.
Dave R

glennc
June 5th, 2010, 08:05
Me, too? I sent a note via the site right after I saw the post on Flightsim. I haven't heard anything.

Glenn

Mike
This is the 'other' beta tester on the cubs. There seems to be a problem with your 'contact' email address on the Flight Replicas site. A friend on another forum's been trying to place an order.
Dave R

mike_cyul
June 5th, 2010, 10:10
Yes, all is fine with the other gentleman, he had just forgotten, or didn't know, to check his spam/email folder, as sometimes the purchase emails end up there.

The Flight Replicas email is working just fine, judging by the other emails that have come in this morning, so Glenn I don't know where your message went!

Mike

glennc
June 5th, 2010, 13:02
Mike, Thanks for checking. I'll try it again,

Glenn

mike_cyul
June 5th, 2010, 17:27
Received your email! Have replied.

Mike

glennc
June 5th, 2010, 17:40
Mike - got it. thank you :ernae:

Glenn

Received your email! Have replied.

Mike

Thoe6969
June 7th, 2010, 09:54
I've never received an email from Flight 1,and their download still says 1.0,and it seems all they have is the full download.All I purchased was the Extreme package.

mike_cyul
June 7th, 2010, 10:58
I've never received an email from Flight 1,and their download still says 1.0,and it seems all they have is the full download.All I purchased was the Extreme package.

Flight1 has the new updated package online, but they have only ever sold the Complete package, not the Extreme. Are you sure you obtained yours from Flight1?

Send me your purchase info to the support email, and I'll make sure you receive v1.1.

Mike

Thoe6969
June 7th, 2010, 12:35
Flight1 has the new updated package online, but they have only ever sold the Complete package, not the Extreme. Are you sure you obtained yours from Flight1?

Send me your purchase info to the support email, and I'll make sure you receive v1.1.

Mike Sorry ,too many cubs,and a puter crash ,I think I purchased the Extreme package from Flight Replicas sitesI did receive an email for a previous update a while back.Will contact you .

glennc
June 7th, 2010, 16:36
I don't know if the "no generator" issue got solved, but real or otherwise, I assign Control-G for generator and use it.

Glenn