PDA

View Full Version : <--- official iPad user :)

Lionheart
May 1st, 2010, 01:34
Hey all,

I have officially joined the ranks of iPad users. Just picked up the iPad 64Gig 3G wireless.

Also got the wireless keyboard and a dock. I didn't get the keyboard with the built in dock as I figured it wouldn't travel well with the dock L member sticking out of the top.

First reactions; It is basically a huge iPad Touch or iPhone without the phone in it. Amazing screen, super high resolution. I cant see pixels, to put it bluntly. Screen is super well tuned with touch controls. It has a very nice slide show that is accessed (accessible, turned on) via a small icon when you hit the Home button and are met with the 'locked' slider. THus, you can turn on Slideshow from 'locked' and it runs as one of those picture frames.

WIreless keyboard runs it quite well. Wrote this from it. Also tried the keyboard. At first I kept touching the screen and tons of letters flew out, but that was habit (finding the buttons with the bumps), so I hovered my fingers and found I could type pretty dang fast with it. Seems it responds faster then a regular keyboard (no 'depression' stages of the key elections, just touching).

Very Star Trek, lol... NOT A NETBOOK. I am happy with this thing. I will be getting the Office iWork software soon for it so I can do business documents remotely.

Plus; Screen resolution, 64 Gigs instead of 32, wireless 3G, Slideshow, very nice little wireless keyboard. I may be using this with my big iMac, lol...

Downside; speakers are low volume, iphone seems louder. Poor WiFi range, but it may be my house, I haven't tried it elseware, but the other computers are fine.

off to play....

txnetcop
May 1st, 2010, 01:54
Yep, I have to admit this thing is fun, fun, fun and nobody dislikes Apple computers or Steve Jobs more than me! The doctor's gave me one to play with so we can set up patient histories for national data bank and instant data download. A very powerful wireless!!!! We are working on the interoperability phase now. I love the easy to use on-board keypad. This thing has a ton of features. I admit that this little iPAD has a future especially with physicians! I could see how engineers would love to have one these available to them.

Yep you're gonna love it, Bill
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Chacha
May 1st, 2010, 03:17
Congratulation, Lionheart, Sire!

I am so happy for you!

:ernae:

Lionheart
May 1st, 2010, 03:42
Thanks ChaCha.

Yep, I have to admit this thing is fun, fun, fun and nobody dislikes Apple computers or Steve Jobs more than me! The doctor's gave me one to play with so we can set up patient histories for national data bank and instant data download. A very powerful wireless!!!! We are working on the interoperability phase now. I love the easy to use on-board keypad. This thing has a ton of features. I admit that this little iPAD has a future especially with physicians! I could see how engineers would love to have one these available to them.

Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Hey Ted,

Man, I hadnt thought of doctors offices uses... Having been in doctors offices so many times lately with family members, I can see how this thing would be great for records and looking things up, setting up next appointments, etc..

I see on a travel case for one, that they have a mouse in the bag for it. I guess that means this dang thing will take a mouse as well? I havent found any info on if it does or not yet.

This will be really nice when multi-tasking goes online around August or so..

Bill

txnetcop
May 1st, 2010, 03:44
Thanks ChaCha.

Hey Ted,

Man, I hadnt thought of doctors offices uses... Having been in doctors offices so many times lately with family members, I can see how this thing would be great for records and looking things up, setting up next appointments, etc..

I see on a travel case for one, that they have a mouse in the bag for it. I guess that means this dang thing will take a mouse as well? I havent found any info on if it does or not yet.

This will be really nice when multi-tasking goes online around August or so..

Bill

I have to admit it was a stroke of genius!!! There's a list of addons to come somewhere I will see if I can find the link

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

KOM.Nausicaa
May 1st, 2010, 03:53
The iPad has great features. It has also one massive drawback: it can't read Flash and it won't. Meaning: You are missing out on half on the internet, games and other applications.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/04/pot-meet-kettle-a-response-to-steve-jobs-letter-on-flash.ars

TeaSea
May 1st, 2010, 04:16
Can you imagine what the reaction would be if Microsoft sent out a letter like Steve Jobs did? There would be worldwide condemnation of the "Imperial" Microsoft dictating standards.

Yet, barely a ripple at Apple's comment's. Also, the proprietary phone service you get locked into with the IPhone...again, not a ripple....

I think it's perfectly fine for Apple to set up it's own standards and chart it's own course...the market will out....I just get a little tired of the double standards used to compare and contrast these two companies.

Very happy you got your system there Lionheart...you need to tell us how it works out. I would comment about the "Doctor's support" though. It's been my experience that most clinics and hospitals have very spotty wireless due the shielding in the walls (radiology). Also, I'd wonder if there were any potential EMI threats to some of the equipment.

jmig
May 1st, 2010, 04:53
Congratulations Bill! Being the Apple geek you are, I just know it is like Christmas morning for a kid at your house. You need to keep up updated on the Ipad and what you can do with it.

I like the idea of it. However, I want it to be a real computer and not a one legged crippled gimmick, which I think it is at this time. I have always thoughtthe future PC was going to be something like the Ipad. Something with a touch screen, handwriting recognition, and small & light enough to hold like a book while reading.

I want it to have a usb connection to the world and allow me to move all my pdf files into it for when I need to look something up in them.
I am not big on the cloud computing idea. That is fine in cities and "when" you have access to wifi networks.

KOM.Nausicaa
May 1st, 2010, 05:55
Can you imagine what the reaction would be if Microsoft sent out a letter like Steve Jobs did? There would be worldwide condemnation of the "Imperial" Microsoft dictating standards.

Well actually that is exactly what happens - there is a worldwide condemnation of the of the "Imperial" Apple dictating standards. And rightfully so, because they are Imperial dictating standards - just as those of Microsoft and Adobe are, as the article I linked to correctly states. None of the major players wants us to have a free internet, or to be free users, trust me. Freedom is counterproductive to any big business plan, since it's about selling their application. Nevertheless Steve Jobs says correct critics about Flash in his letter. And I like Apple, they make high quality stuff. I just don't let me fool into thinking any of those is worried about me not being free enough - lol. Making half of the web inaccesible to you, because Jobs has decided he doesnt like Flash is far out and highly debatable. That is the main reason I won't buy the iPad - not because it's a bad product, but because I want to decide the pages I want to surf on, and I own other Macs. Thanks.

dominique
May 1st, 2010, 06:56
I have always thoughtthe future PC was going to be something like the Ipad.

...or maybe something like that (http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsens e_technology.html) ?

BTW Bill, does the Ipad allow to buy books and movies elsewhere than on iTunes ?

Snuffy
May 1st, 2010, 07:31
Nice to see you buying this antiquated technology Bill.

In two weeks something better will be out ... I'm just saying ... :mixedsmi:

djscoo
May 1st, 2010, 07:41

Ted

All my doctors ever gave me were lollipops.

cheezyflier
May 1st, 2010, 07:43
Nice to see you buying this antiquated technology Bill.

In two weeks something better will be out ... I'm just saying ... :mixedsmi:

moore's law applies to more than just apple. lucky for us in the sim community, it seems to be in a bit of a lull right now. how many people have built cool computers when fsx first came out only to have them become 2nd rate in less than a year?

tigisfat
May 1st, 2010, 07:46
That's too bad about the speakers. I was just thinking about how much I'd love a small mobile device with AWESOME and LOUD speakers.

jmig
May 1st, 2010, 09:19
That's too bad about the speakers. I was just thinking about how much I'd love a small mobile device with AWESOME and LOUD speakers.

Doesn't it have an ear plug socket? I have never found a laptop computer with decent speakers. I always use earphones.

Lionheart
May 1st, 2010, 10:21
Doesn't it have an ear plug socket? I have never found a laptop computer with decent speakers. I always use earphones.

Yes it does John,

You can plug it into a nice powered speaker system and have outrageous sound.

Got the HS Internet working now via 3G and it's lightning fast, but my WiFi should still be fast. I think that is an issue.

So..... I am writing this on the couch, iPad in one hand, typing with the other, lol. Thin as cardboard and heavy as a medium book (paper kind).

Concerning the question buying from other sources, they call that jail break and people can download anything from anywhere. It does go against the EULA though. At least for now. Most kids can upload anything unto their iPhones.

Bill

hey_moe
May 1st, 2010, 10:35
I tell ya what Lion, ya just can't hide money...lol

Lionheart
May 1st, 2010, 11:51
I tell ya what Lion, ya just can't hide money...lol

Mike, I will never get to your level, lol. I can only dream of one day having such exotic computers.. I did take your advice though on the Mac tower. I am trying to save up for one. Trying... trying......

boxcar
May 1st, 2010, 11:58
Man, those puppies are listing for about $700 for a 64 Gb model. Hope you got a good deal. Will have to pass on one myself, as that's 3/4s of a month's fixed income for me. Ouch!

Lionheart
May 1st, 2010, 12:41
Roger that Boxcar.

Mine was over $800.00. I got the 3G version. Its pricey. I think the top of the line iPad is $829.00. To buy an iPhone outright, new, will put you around $600 for the latest. If you buy it, first time with signup and all, ATT will basically give it to you at $200.00.

My hopes are that this is a wise business investment and will enable me and my business to have more flexibility and 'abilities' when in remote situations. I go up north often and I dont like my laptop that much. This, I hope will fit the bill quite nicely.

Bill

Cloud9Gal
May 1st, 2010, 13:27
I played with the newest "Apple Baby" and was quite smitten by it. The iPad is certainly one heck of a nice gadget.
I probably will never buy one, as I am quite satisfied with my current laptop and my iTouch.

Congrats on your purchase Lionheart! Keep us posted on well it performs.

n4gix
May 1st, 2010, 14:33
...or maybe something like that (http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsens e_technology.html) ?

BTW Bill, does the Ipad allow to buy books and movies elsewhere than on iTunes ?

I can't believe no one else has commented on this incredible breakthrough! What's even more amazing is that he's going to make all of the software "open source!"

One might easily imagine that in a just few years, we might be able to wear a small device on a neckchain, and project a "watch" on our wrist, a cellphone "keypad" on our hand, or simply use a piece of paper to watch a movie, or display a virtual "keyboard and screen" on a tabletop! :jump:

Maybe it's just that no one else noticed the embedded "link" you placed:

Pranav Mistry: The thrilling potential of SixthSense technology
http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsens e_technology.html

By the way, it's a long talk, but the most interesting bits of the live-demo are about half-way through the presentation...

Kiwikat
May 1st, 2010, 14:37
nobody dislikes Apple computers or Steve Jobs more than me!

Hmmm...

boxcar
May 1st, 2010, 14:56

...Maybe it's just that no one else noticed the embedded "link" you placed:

http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsens e_technology.html (http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsens e_technology.html)

By the way, it's a long talk, but the most interesting bits of the live-demo are about half-way through the presentation...

..... ~Fascinating~. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/cool/cool-smiley-005.gif

...& you are correct here: I'd missed that link before. Thanks for making it apparent, Bill. :)

Lionheart
May 1st, 2010, 14:59
I can't believe no one else has commented on this incredible breakthrough! What's even more amazing is that he's going to make all of the software "open source!"

One might easily imagine that in a just few years, we might be able to wear a small device on a neckchain, and project a "watch" on our wrist, a cellphone "keypad" on our hand, or simply use a piece of paper to watch a movie, or display a virtual "keyboard and screen" on a tabletop! :jump:

http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsens e_technology.html

That is amazing....! And all open source. He started all of that through two computer mice taken apart, and from there, his mind exploded into possibilities. I like how he holds up four fingers into a square and there is a camera 'click' sound, screenshot taken outdoors.. Amazing technology.

I hope though that he makes something for himself somehow. I dont know if giving away all of your hard work is the actual way to go. Is Windows or Apple free? All their work. How would the afford to pay their bills, etc.. Its like a farmer that grows crops and gives them away, or a engineer that studies for years how to make a jet fly 100 knots faster with less fuel and gives that away. That is hard work... and pioneering 'new' amazing idea's type of hard work..

So... I hope he at least makes a living doing something that he loves. May his work come back to him in rewards.

Bill

djscoo
May 1st, 2010, 15:23
That is amazing....! And all open source. He started all of that through two computer mice taken apart, and from there, his mind exploded into possibilities. I like how he holds up four fingers into a square and there is a camera 'click' sound, screenshot taken outdoors.. Amazing technology.

I hope though that he makes something for himself somehow. I dont know if giving away all of your hard work is the actual way to go. Is Windows or Apple free? All their work. How would the afford to pay their bills, etc.. Its like a farmer that grows crops and gives them away, or a engineer that studies for years how to make a jet fly 100 knots faster with less fuel and gives that away. That is hard work... and pioneering 'new' amazing idea's type of hard work..

So... I hope he at least makes a living doing something that he loves. May his work come back to him in rewards.

Bill
Even though it's open source, I don't think money will be an issue (ask Linus Torvalds).

Lionheart
May 1st, 2010, 15:44
Just a heads up for Mac people that use iWork.

I loaded it up on this and I cant believe it, lol... Somehow, it has most of all the things of regular iWork 'in' this softwear suite, lol... You purchase the suite in 3 sections, so if you only need Pages, or Keynote, or Numbers, you can buy 'only' that. Its $9.99 for each one, so about $30.00 for all three. The regular iWork is $79.00 for Mac.

Its also 'artistically' done. Keynote for instance looks like a mix between leather and a very old Map, sort of a artist like App looking environment for the Keynote desk background. Same with Pages. I havent dug into Numbers yet. If you have a Mac and have Numbers but never tried it, check the tutorial videos at Apple.com. They have auto-building CAD like bars and other graph objects that almost animate with sales figures. (They animate into the shape you need when you plug in the numbers, change shape... not a animated presentation).

Lionheart
May 1st, 2010, 15:46
Now, since I can link a keyboard into this, and a USB adapter into the main slot for my Saitek X-52, if only I could get someone to code in FS2004 to run on iPhone / iPad 0S4, I would be good to go, lol....

Bill

txnetcop
May 1st, 2010, 16:31
X-Plane runs fine on it Bill...I'm not nutty over X-Plane but at least it gives you something to fly
Ted

hey_moe
May 1st, 2010, 17:23
Well da first thang da wife said was " DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT" lol...you guys know how well I listen...grins

AckAck
May 1st, 2010, 20:13
Jeez, Moe - who was it who couldn't hide money?

Brian :d

Lionheart
May 1st, 2010, 20:47
Well da first thang da wife said was " DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT" lol...you guys know how well I listen...grins

Well, at least its small and super thin. Should be easy to hide. Maybe see if they'll rent you one. :d

dominique
May 1st, 2010, 21:36
Concerning the question buying from other sources, they call that jail break and people can download anything from anywhere. It does go against the EULA though. At least for now. Most kids can upload anything unto their iPhones.
Bill

There's a Kindle app that I use which doesn't need to jailbreak the iPhone/iPod Touch. There're other eReaders for others sources. All legit. The movies I don't know as Apple has just begun to sell them out of the US. I wonder whether they work with the pad...

Why can't use it as phone as you've access to the 3G networks? No voice communication app ?

tigisfat
May 1st, 2010, 21:41
There's a Kindle app that I use which doesn't need to jailbreak the iPhone/iPod Touch. There're other eReaders for others sources. All legit. The movies I don't know as Apple has just begun to sell them out of the US. I wonder whether they work with the pad...

Why can't use it as phone as you've access to the 3G networks? No voice communication app ?

I'd pay money to see users hold Ipads up to their ears.

dominique
May 1st, 2010, 21:42

My bad, I should've put it in bold...

Isn't it amazing (rhetorical question) ? And this is just a prototype. Imagine what it will be when it reaches the market... That kind of interface + OLED screen ! Could the iPad type of tablets just be an interim technology ?

djscoo
May 1st, 2010, 21:44

You could always use the Iphone headphones with the speaker on them.

dominique
May 1st, 2010, 21:44

lot of people already use their cell phone with an earplug or the integrated speaker, Tig... And you dont always use your phone walking...

Lionheart
May 1st, 2010, 22:58

I keep wondering that myself. I am positive that is the next step and its probably already arranged. The prototype had a cam in the top like on the new iPhone 4G that Gizmodo had. The iPad would have then been equipped for teleconferencing. There is a mic in the top. With the early 3G iPhone, they could create video via a simple App after they came out with iPhone OS 3.2 or 3.3 (I cant remember which one, recent though when the 3Gs came out).

So, perhaps about the time that the 'multi-tasking' update comes out, we will have a speaker phone capability activated in the things. Purely speculative, but thats been my thoughts. I cant see why the platform of the iPhone designed into a tablet device would not have it 'with' having a 3G ATT unit built into it...

I didnt know the iPhone headphones could be used in phone conversations until about a month ago, lolol.. I decided to read about them one night out of shear bordom. They can do multi functions on the small 3 click link in the cable, (newer headphones with volume clicker inline by left earbud). They things have mute, and double clicking the top/bottom will jump your song you are listening to. Picking up or hanging up on a call is either double click on mute, or single click on mute, mute being center click. (I didnt know the center clicked).

Now... How in the world do they fit all of this technology into a dang earphone set, earbuds no less, and be able to control about 12 commands or so, plus a mic, 2 speakers that have some nice sound that are extremely small, all through a dual line single pole earphone socket???????

Bill

Lionheart
May 2nd, 2010, 02:59
I noticed just now on iTunes that it now has 'Books' instead of 'Audiobooks' in the top left corner.

I was wondering how they would do that. Yesterday I had nothing there but Audiobooks. I guess they realised they needed the gap filled on their new market of electronic books.

Now in iTunes there are two sections when you click on 'Books'. Its Books to the top, Audiobooks to the bottom.

I highly recommend Sir Richard Bransons new Audiobook. Great read. Talks about how he started his Train and then Airline businesses. Very inspiring.

Bill

Lionheart
May 2nd, 2010, 08:42
My $29.00 iPad dock wouldnt let me sit the iPad on horizontally as the connector is on the bottom. So I went to thinking, how I could make a basic stand. It occured to me we have a picture frame easle in the front room, so I ran and got it and it was like the perfect size for this thing. So now I can have the iPad on the easle, and can type when I want.

I then remembered it has a screensaver thing built in. So I tried it and man, its one of those little electronic picture frame things, lololol...

I know, big deal. Sure looks cool though.

<--- addict.. arrgh..

Edit; in Horizontal mode, the font is larger, the screen fills the webpages bigger when its wider. Easier on my old eyes...

Bill

Lionheart
May 2nd, 2010, 16:54
A few side notes and more feedback.

Speakers actually seem fine when it's in it's dock. The sound seems to reflect up off the desk and sounds loud. When it's being held the sound seems lost. I was wondering about this as the speakers aren't small inside (saw a tear down video on YouTube).

I note that the keyboard Bluetooth functionality mimics actual Mac computers. For instance, their famous sleep mode, which the iPhone uses also, is in the iPad, and easily awakens by just hitting the Space bar. Click and the screen lights up on the iPad with no slider lock showing, like on a laptop. Also, keyboard commands from Mac work when typing. I didn't think the iPhone OS was that sophisticated. I hope they make keyboards sync with iPhones as well.

Bill

Lionheart
May 2nd, 2010, 17:12
Ted,

It appears the Bluetooth mouse does not work on iPhone OS.

The photo of the mouse really makes you think this. The gang at discussions.apple.com put me straight on that. (no visible cursor on screen).

It would be the ultimate feature and perhaps just too much to ask for on an iPhone OS...

Bill

Panther_99FS
May 2nd, 2010, 19:53
Lionheart,
With AT&T's "4G" network coming out sometime in 2011, will the iPad work with "4G"...:ques:

glennc
May 2nd, 2010, 20:20
I had a dental followup appointment Friday afternoon. I knew the 3G version was coming out this weekend. Someone in the doc's waiting room said it was Friday at 5PM. It was 4:15 when he said it. So, why not? There were 20 people in line at a Best buy in front of me. So, I got the 32 gig 3G model. This is my first ever Apple product and I must say I'm impressed. I played with it in stores a few times. On browser compatibility: So far, I've seen a couple Flash issues, and one Java issue. I can work around all of it except the Java issue. That's my wife's work site. I hear that might get fixed. Since I have three other computers in the house than can do it all, it's no biggie. I am really amazed at what's in the App store. For the pilots here, check out ForeFlight. The app is free and comes with one month access to the data - all kinds of data. Like what's in the AOPA Airports app with real time weather several different ways. A three month subscription is about $25.

Bottom line, - I don't much care what it can't do - I'm really enjoying what it can do. The book reader and the Kindle apps are really quite nice.

Glenn

Lionheart
May 2nd, 2010, 20:25
Hey P,

If I am correct, 4G is 4G, and 3G is 3G, and 3Gs is 3Gs. Thus you need the actual hardware to take in the full capabilities of that telecommunications platform or transmission wave. I think it has to do with multiple bandwidths for more faster, thicker data flow. (thats all I know, and probably way off).

Thus... Presently, the iPad is 3G, and not even 3Gs and should not be able to perform as well as a 4G, if I am correct, but note that this is not a phone (yet) though I am sure it will have speaker phone capabilities soon.

I thought (was hoping) that the 4G phone was coming out this year. darn... Can you tell me how you heard that 4G was coming out next year?

They have a serious WiFi problem going on right now. Presently, I can only go online via my 3G network. Alot of people are a bit upset over this.

Panther_99FS
May 2nd, 2010, 20:31
I... Can you tell me how you heard that 4G was coming out next year?

"As HSPA 7.2 is rolled out in each U.S. market, it will be supported by substantial additional wireless backhaul, the critical connections that carry traffic from cell sites to AT&T’s IP backbone network. This backhaul capacity, including thousands of new connections this year, is being designed to support not only HSPA 7.2, but also 4G LTE, which AT&T plans to begin trialing in 2010 and deploying in 2011."

--> http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?newsarticleid=27068&cdvn=news&pid=4800

Lionheart
May 3rd, 2010, 02:16
Thanks P.

Good to know.

Bill

Cratermaker
May 3rd, 2010, 04:44
Looks like you were right in getting the iPad and not waiting Bill. HP has canceled the Slate and MS has canceled the Courier! :salute:

Lionheart
May 3rd, 2010, 05:25
Hey CM,

Sorry to hear that. I know there are HP and MS fans and they have been waiting for those new devices just like me waiting on the iPad.

Maybe they are going to redo their projects a little and come out with them later.

Bill

Kiwikat
May 3rd, 2010, 05:37
So far, I've seen a couple Flash issues

Apple + Flash == :pop4:

dominique
May 3rd, 2010, 08:51
Apple + Flash == :pop4:

you mean Apple + Flash = :angryfir::icon32::hatchet::tgun2::rocket: ?

djscoo
May 3rd, 2010, 08:57
Looks like you were right in getting the iPad and not waiting Bill. HP has canceled the Slate and MS has canceled the Courier! :salute:

The Notion Ink Adam is still a go though!

http://www.slashgear.com/notion-ink-adam-hands-on-0969281/

Panther_99FS
May 3rd, 2010, 09:01

Wow!

Chacha
May 3rd, 2010, 09:04

Wow!

Double WOW!

Cratermaker
May 3rd, 2010, 09:45
I forgot to provide a link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100430/sc_livescience/anothertabletfallshpslatecanceled

Sounds like win 7 is turning out to be unsuitable for tablets.

The rumor about the MS courier is that the dual screen setup was sucking the batteries dry way too fast. Maybe if they had some sort of color e-ink display it would have worked.

Skittles
May 3rd, 2010, 11:05
Well I never will, and never intended to, buy a tablet PC anytime soon. That said, I wouldn't rule out the HP slate yet. It seems that all of the speculation of it's cancellation comes from rumors alone - nothing official.

It seems odd that they would bin the entire project so soon to it's completion. It's got adverts for crying out loud. As for Win7, given the specs of the device I couldn't see any problems with running it. Netbooks run it absolutely perfectly and the slate had as much power as any of those. It has/had a 1.6Ghz processor and 1GB RAM. Ok, it's not going to run FSX, but it's no slouch.

Will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Lionheart
May 3rd, 2010, 15:35
The way that Apple was able to make a super thin, super fast, efficient Pad with all its functionality was because of iPhone OS. The main mother board in the iPad is like a credit card that is about a 1/4 inch thick or so. The batteries are the biggest thing inside the iPad.

Thus... My theory is, that if Windows want to make something similar, they need to redo the Windows CE pocket device OS and make something along those lines, like Windows CE-7 or something. That would be able to run in small devices that were incredibly small and needed small batteries, etc. Maybe a bare-bones Win7-Lite.

Amazingly, the Mac OSX program isnt really that large, has a small footprint. But dang, putting that in the iPad would have required a full size laptop HD, a graphics card chip at least, and many other things. They would be looking at another Apple 'Air' laptop type thing, and that would have sold for over the 1K price range then. The iPad sells for $500.00 because its basically a big iPod or iPhone. The same platforms, diff packaging, big screen.

It would be interesting to see a new Windows CE from Windows, now that they have learned that HUGE OS isnt particularly the way to go, and also doing it artistically, like iPhone OS, Mac, and Win7, (neat looks, neat animations, etc).

I hope they get it all worked out..

Bill

Cratermaker
May 3rd, 2010, 15:40
They do have windows mobile 7 coming down the pipeline.