PDA

View Full Version : Minute Man Air Field

falcon409
April 30th, 2010, 22:13
Stow, Massachusetts. I came across this looking for another airfield to do in the general vicinity of "Lakes Region". This just happened to have decent imagery and so it won.

spotlope
April 30th, 2010, 22:17
Stow, Massachusetts. I came across this looking for another airfield to do in the general vicinity of "Lakes Region". This just happened to have decent imagery and so it won.

What a coincidence, Ed. I was there with Helldiver last summer and took a bunch of pics. It's on my radar at some point, too.

falcon409
April 30th, 2010, 22:50
Oh that figures, lol. . .oh wait, I still have that "Ignore Bill" card around here somewhere, lol, lol.

I don't know how long ago this was shot, because I saw one from 2009 on a "Navaids" site and it was "deforested" like this image shows. I'm having to clone some od the outlying areas of forest and fill in so it doesn't look so barren. If you look close in the actual image you can see where the pines are laying over flat where they've been cut.

Pretty cool little airport though.:salute:

Helldiver
May 1st, 2010, 04:04
Stow, Massachusetts is he most poplar airport in the State. It has seven main buildings an four minor ones. It has a brook running under the runway. It's dominated by a restaurant.
Knowing Bills standards, I can undertand why he is reluctant to take it on at this time.

falcon409
May 1st, 2010, 06:19
Stow, Massachusetts is the most poplar airport in the State. It has seven main buildings and four minor ones. It has a brook running under the runway. It's dominated by a restaurant.
Knowing Bills standards, I can understand why he is reluctant to take it on at this time.
Interesting, if you look at the image I posted of the WIP you'll see the brook is there. I'll look around and see if I can find any shots of the restaurant. I have zero talent at doing custom buildings, but if it isn't too fancy maybe I can make something that looks similar.

Thanks for the extra info there Helldiver.:salute:

spotlope
May 1st, 2010, 07:24
I'm not reluctant to take it on at all, it's just behind a couple of others in line. Only so many hours in the day!

Helldiver
May 1st, 2010, 07:46
The restaurant building isn't the worry. It's the outside that starts with a stone wall that is covered with flowers and shrubs, Then theres a walkway and the front of the restaurant in canopied with another stone wall and more flowers and a fountain. It's quite beautiful.
Plus none of the hangers are the same shape and there all sitting at all points of the compass. There's nothing easy about it. It will be a big undertaking when Bill gets around to it. Knowing him he won't be satified with plain block buildings. He has to give each one it's character

falcon409
May 1st, 2010, 08:10
Yep, I understand all of that Helldiver. Whatever I come up with will simply be an interim scenery until Bill works his magic. Much like the Emma Field I did. . .just another place for folks to fly, that looks better than the default.:salute:

falcon409
May 1st, 2010, 09:03
Buildings and vegetation in place. A lot of small stuff to add like vehicles, fuel tanks, static aircraft, etc.

Helldiver
May 1st, 2010, 09:35
Falcon, you did a bang up job, The only part is where I put the "X". That is a marshy grass where the brook enters into it. The buildings are brown or orange in color. I'm color blind. Perhaps Bill could tell you.

Helldiver
May 1st, 2010, 10:53
- Maybe Bill Womack could even put in some shrubs and bushes in front of the Restaurant like Lady Bird Johnson would like.

falcon409
May 1st, 2010, 10:55
Falcon, you did a bang up job, The only part is where I put the "X". That is a marshy grass where the brook enters into it. The buildings are brown or orange in color. I'm color blind. Perhaps Bill could tell you.
Thanks Helldiver. I'll knock out the trees from that one area and give it a "less vegetated" appearance if I can.

As for the buildings, I don't do custom work, so nothing I can do about the color, everything is default. What you see is what you get, lol.:salute:

Helldiver
May 1st, 2010, 11:22
I'm thrilled at what you've done since you havent seen the airport first hand. It has a slope going from the restaurant end to the end towards the brook. About a 69 foot drop.
It happens to be where Nels from FlightSim keeps his airplane. I will look forward to flying from Plum Island to your Minute Man Airport. - Hamburger at Plum Island and Steak at Stow.

Helldiver
May 1st, 2010, 11:39
If you have a readme file you can always use Minute Man's logo. "Where Piston Pilots Rule"

falcon409
May 1st, 2010, 21:26
Yep, already have that Helldiver, Thanks!
Here's the completed Air Field. I flew from Lakes Region to Minute Man in my Diamond Twin Star, landed and taxied over to the restaurant area. I also had no idea that Minute Man was as close to Plum as it was. . .only about 36nm.

Shylock
May 1st, 2010, 22:20
Looks awesome Falcon. You going to put it up for download?

falcon409
May 1st, 2010, 23:05
Yea, probably sometime in the morning. It's 2am here and I'm off to get some sleep.:salute:

MCDesigns
May 2nd, 2010, 03:46
I also had no idea that Minute Man was as close to Plum as it was. . .only about 36nm.

Probably why Bill chose it for his next project in that area. Looks good Ed. I had the photoreal part done awhile back myself, but then found out it was on Bills list, DOH!

dswo
May 2nd, 2010, 04:14
I also had no idea that Minute Man was as close to Plum as it was. . .only about 36nm.

I have Plum Island, but PNW and, more recently, carrier ops off Maui have kept me on the left side. Are there any other custom airports in this area that one could buzz back and forth to?

Helldiver
May 2nd, 2010, 04:34
It's hard for you guys in a big State to imagine a place that it is had to drive more than fifty miles and run out of State. East to west it's only about 100 miles long.
You certainly did a great job Falcon and it looks very presentable. I don't know how you do it. My first flight will be in Bill's Cessna 185 out of Plum Island to Minute Man Airfield, "Where Piston Pilots Rule".

Helldiver
May 2nd, 2010, 04:58
For instance, the Dallas/Ft. Worth area would cover Essex County on the map.

Brian_Gladden
May 2nd, 2010, 05:39
Try where I live. Orange county VT has a population density of about 41 people per square mile. Essex county is more like 4 people per sq. mile

Also, Minuteman looks great. I'll be downloading is as soon as I can.

Brian

falcon409
May 2nd, 2010, 08:01
. . . . .Also, Minuteman looks great. I'll be downloading is as soon as I can.
Brian
Thanks Brian, it should be up in the next 30 minutes or so.:salute:

Helldiver
May 3rd, 2010, 17:51
Will you make it available on Flightsim? I know that Nels would be happy.
Great job Falcon.
By the way, Another great airport is KDAW Skyhaven Airport AT Rochester, New Hampshire. I was responsible for the Snow Removal Equiptment Hanger at the far NW of the airport.

falcon409
May 3rd, 2010, 17:53
Will you make it available on Flightsim? I know that Nels would be happy.
Great job Falcon.
By the way, Another great airport is KDAW Skyhaven Airport AT Rochester, New Hampshire. I was responsible for the Snow Removal Equiptment Hanger at the far NW of the airport.
Thanks Helldiver. . .I'll take a look at KDAW!

Shylock
May 4th, 2010, 23:34
Falcon great job on this. Kudos

Shylock
April 13th, 2011, 15:49
Falcon is this still up anywhere after my new build I lost everything and trying to get it all back in FSX.

Hurricane91
April 13th, 2011, 16:11
- Maybe Bill Womack could even put in some shrubs and bushes in front of the Restaurant like Lady Bird Johnson would like.

:icon_lol:

falcon409
April 13th, 2011, 16:27
Falcon is this still up anywhere after my new build I lost everything and trying to get it all back in FSX.
Been a long time since I've seen that one. Damn, I was pretty good, lol. I think right after that group of airports was completed I was asked to "cease and desist" with making any future photoreal airports as I was using tiles that could be considered a copyright infringement. Consequently, none of those sceneries are available any more and I no longer do any scenery work at all. Sorry Shylock! :salute:

Shylock
April 13th, 2011, 17:25
Darn sorry to hear Falcon. I remember it being very accurate.

Meshman
April 13th, 2011, 18:12
...and I no longer do any scenery work at all. Sorry Shylock! :salute:

Well Ed, if you ever change your mind, LMK. I'll have photo waiting for you, without having to worry about the copyright cops, if it's CONUS. I've got a server just sitting there with loads of free space, for now... :salute:

Helldiver
April 14th, 2011, 05:00
"Consequently, none of those sceneries are available any more and I no longer do any scenery work at all. Sorry Shylock! :salute: "

What the hell was that all about ? It doesn't hinder Womack, Obyx and company or any other scenery designer, thank goodness. Possibly you're getting too sensitive. This is still a free country.
It's one of FDRs four freedoms.The freedom of drawing any scenery you want.
I read it in the Saturday Evening Post.

spotlope
April 14th, 2011, 06:19
"Consequently, none of those sceneries are available any more and I no longer do any scenery work at all. Sorry Shylock! :salute: "

What the hell was that all about ? It doesn't hinder Womack, Obyx and company or any other scenery designer, thank goodness. Possibly you're getting too sensitive. This is still a free country.
It's one of FDRs four freedoms.The freedom of drawing any scenery you want.
I read it in the Saturday Evening Post.

Don't jump to conclusions, Bob. This had nothing whatsoever to do with me, or (as far as I know) with Orbx.

falcon409
April 14th, 2011, 09:51
Wow helldiver, easy bud, lol. My being too sensitive had nothing to do with any of this I assure you. . . .my feelings were hurt briefly because I felt I was contributing to the community but that didn't last long as I still had liveries I could do and panel mods to work on. This was a complicated scenario, I didn't feel I was in any real wrong with what I was doing, especially to the small base of users that downloaded my free work, but it was decided that it was unfair to have SOH in what might be a compromising position should any legal questions arise and so I bowed out and had the scenery locked. I loved doing those airports and after looking at some old shots. . .I was pretty good at it. Bill and Orbyx and other payware developers/designers are on a whole different level and the photoscenery is handled quite differently so please don't lump those professional folks in with the simple stuff I was producing.

I don't have the ability to do photoreal scenery any other way than the way I was doing back then. It was deemed illegal and I stopped. I could be doing airports even now, but I find they lack any real "life" to them without the realistic ground textures and so it was my decision to get out of scenery design altogether, it just wasn't as gratifying any more. End of story.:salute: