PDA

View Full Version : In the works; Pasped Skylark

Lionheart
April 29th, 2010, 23:22
Hey all,

Some 'work in progress' screenshots; quick renders.

This is the wild classic Pasped Skylark, a golden oldie that was featured in at least 2 movies back in the days.

This huge ship was just a 2 seater, powered by a Warner Scarab. The present plane today is powered by a 165 HP Super Scarab, boasting a top end of 140 knots.

Work in progress..... No interior, seats, pilots, and other tidbits.

Bill

stiz
April 29th, 2010, 23:35
looking great!!!

so ... i'm guessing you found the checkerd box in max then?? :icon_lol:

:applause:

sim-paticissimo
April 29th, 2010, 23:54
Stunning model and very beautiful airplane, good choice!! I'm looking forward to fly it! Thank you.

DennyBoy
April 30th, 2010, 00:58
Very nice little aircraft Lionheart !

I like the engine.

Best Regard
DennyBoy

Chacha
April 30th, 2010, 02:23
Go for it, Lionheart!

Classic...

skyhawka4m
April 30th, 2010, 04:02
wow...thats not the Skylark I thought you were doing....bummer.....but it does look nice!

Mithrin
April 30th, 2010, 04:28
Yup that's a plane that I like! Very cool design! Looking forward to this one!

Roger
April 30th, 2010, 04:32
So the new avatar was telling us something!:jump: The engine detail looks excellent and those Art-Deco wheel farings

Looks absolutely fantastic Bill:ernae:

lifejogger
April 30th, 2010, 04:54
That is nice Bill, glad to see you are doing a classic.

Cleartheprop
April 30th, 2010, 08:48
Wonderful work! I'll sign for this one the minute it is released.

To what extend will it be realistic ?

Lionheart
April 30th, 2010, 11:56
Hey guys,

Thanks for the kind words.

looking great!!!
so ... i'm guessing you found the checkerd box in max then?? :icon_lol:
:applause:

Yep... Learning the new Max finally. Found the dang blue and white checkered button that activates textures, lol..

MirageIII2009
Wonderful work! I'll sign for this one the minute it is released.

To what extend will it be realistic ?

Hey Mirage,

She is a simple bird, not alot of avionics and all, so I am going to try to squeeze in some other features to make it a wild plane package. This will also feature a nice low price.

Warchild's expertise and talent and team will be working on the airfiles for this bird and already it is flying incredibly similar to the real plane. I was talking on the phone yesterday to the guy that restored the actual Skylark a few years ago and he filled me (us) on the handling and some other details of the plane. Should be pretty fun for a nice low-and-slow classic GA bird from the golden era...

My renders arent very bright. They came out a bit dark, but they give you an idea of what the bird looks like. You cant really see all the bolts and things on the engine. Also, nothing has been attached yet to the firewall, no texture, etc..

Bill

ryanbatc
April 30th, 2010, 12:03
Ooooh nice modeling!! Not my cup of tea but looks really great!

warchild
April 30th, 2010, 12:48
Wasnt my cup of tea till i strapped her on either.. Right now, i'm not trying to sell Bills work or my own here. I'm just an observer flying a plane i never flew before.. I can only liken her to a young Lady. A bit of a precocious and quite charming lady. She lifts off at a little over 45 mph, and will gently dance for you across whatever sky you want to fly in. She isnt high or fast. She wants to be seen and she'll hug tree top to 5000 feet like a fish in water.. She does NOT like to land.. Thats where she gets precocious. She'll wiggle and wobble and sometimes downright refuse to land. She likes to fly. She likes to dance. To that degree, I'm keeping the flight model dead on target.

Where i am NOT going to keep the FM on target is on ground handling. The only version of this aircraft made, was the prototype, and it had a problem with the pants catching on the ground all the time, making ground handling a royal pain in the rear. In FSX that means the plane crashes and you restart the flight. I wont do that. i wont make it that way. It'll handle pleasantly on the ground.. ground steering is going to be a composite. The original plane has a fixed tailwheel. No description is given as to exactly what is meant by that, but it was non steerable. Our tailwheel will be a combination of steerable and free turning, like we I did for the P-36. It'll steer up to some as yet unknown degree of angle, and past that, it will function like a free turning caster. Thats because a LOT of us just aint never gonna get the hang of steering a taildragger down, and frankly, i want everyone to be able to enjoy this plane. its worth the small sacrifice.

I have to rework some of the engine parameters. I started with putting the original 125 hp Scarab in it, but it turns out it has a 165 hp Scarab now. Oddly, the performance with the higher powered engine is a little less even though they have identical numbers in most other places.. I'll give you exact numbers across the board.

I'm also going to length to make certain that the pilots view point is as close to possible the actual view point and angle of view that the pilot of the real plane has. I dont know about anyone else, but i'm six feet tall and am a bit sick of planes that put a panel directly in front of you so that you have to scootch up just to see over the dashboard.. i dont know what i can do about the field of view, but i'm gonna do my best to make it realistic to a human field of view.

Will keep you all updated :).. time to go dive into my morning coffee and get some of the fuzzies outta my brain..
:)
Pam

warchild
April 30th, 2010, 13:00
So the new avatar was telling us something!:jump: The engine detail looks excellent and those Art-Deco wheel farings

Looks absolutely fantastic Bill:ernae:
::LOL:: I SO want to put a matching Art deco style Arch on thos pants to match the striping curves on the body.. She'll give the impression shes wearing high heels and dancing on her tip toes :) :) :) ..

robcap
April 30th, 2010, 13:13
Wonderfull, good you returened to the vintage planes, Bill.
It's definately my cup of tea ;-)

Cheers, Rob

Bomber_12th
April 30th, 2010, 13:28
Really liking the looks of this project, Bill! This is definitely a type of airplane that spikes my interests - can't wait to see it in the sim! Despite a top speed of 140, sitting still, it already looks to be going upwards of 250 - a very sleek design!

Milton Shupe
April 30th, 2010, 15:26
WOW! Not sure how I missed this thread Bill. Beautifully modeled, awesome looking work everywhere. :applause:

RyDraiggoch
April 30th, 2010, 15:39
Thats a thing of beauty Bill

I saw the real thing at Oshkosh a coons age ago

Even us Brits can love it

Leif

Piglet
April 30th, 2010, 21:58
That's pretty darn sharp! You've come a long way.:ernae:

oldpropfan
May 1st, 2010, 00:36
I'll get one when it comes out, looks beautiful. But for extra icing on my cake ( and every one else's too ), it would come bundled as a 2-pak with a remake of this nice 2 seater from the same era:jump::jump:.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/oldpropfan/lionheart%20plane/2010-5-1_0-31-46-997.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/oldpropfan/lionheart%20plane/2010-5-1_0-32-29-309.jpg

Now that would be a sweet deal!!

Al

txnetcop
May 1st, 2010, 01:37
Hey Bill I first saw this in the movie Without Orders. I saw the real thing at Oshkosh I don't remember the guy's whole name but everyone called him Buzz. That picture you show looks like his plane. Anyway a very worthy project. I doubt if there are many of those flying today.
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

boxcar
May 2nd, 2010, 05:55
As with Milton, am surprised I missed this initially as well. Excellent choice, imo, & am looking forward to it. :) Fine work thus far, Bill.

warchild
May 2nd, 2010, 06:51
Just what IS that little red plane?? its adorable.. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif

OBIO
May 2nd, 2010, 07:27
Warchild

That adorable little red plane is the Aeronca LC..one of Bill's planes from way back in the day. I am "restoring" the plane and am about 90% done with it. New skins with as much detail as I could pack in (ribbing, simulated cloth covering). Need to stop monkeying around with adding effects to my jets and finish the LC.

OBIO

DX-FMJ
May 2nd, 2010, 07:52
WOW, now that's a cool bird!

Can't wait for this one! :salute:

warchild
May 2nd, 2010, 08:14
I'm Definately going to be looking forward to that. it IS a perfect partner for the Pasped..

txnetcop
May 2nd, 2010, 08:19
Warchild

That adorable little red plane is the Aeronca LC..one of Bill's planes from way back in the day. I am "restoring" the plane and am about 90% done with it. New skins with as much detail as I could pack in (ribbing, simulated cloth covering). Need to stop monkeying around with adding effects to my jets and finish the LC.

OBIO

A fantastic idea whose time has come. I miss these early beauties in FSX! Thank you
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Moses03
May 2nd, 2010, 10:41
Fantastic Bill! Looking forward to this vintage beauty.

Lionheart
May 2nd, 2010, 16:38
Thanks all...

I'll seek to make it my best plane yet.

Bill

warchild
May 2nd, 2010, 16:40
Thanks all...

I'll seek to make it my best plane yet.

Bill

That makes two of us http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon22.gif..
Pam