PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Simulations L-39 question

Ark
April 29th, 2010, 13:27
Hello All,

I am in the market for another add-on (it has been 12 minutes since my last purchase :)). I have been looking at the L-39 but was wondering about it's feasability for an around-the-world flight.

In particular, the "Racer" airframe (I think it looks the best, lol). Now, I understand the racer version probably has a smaller tank and an increase in speed while using the same engine, but is this an issue if I pla to make quite a few stops along the way? I do not plan on flying hundreds and hundreds of miles between each leg, nor do I plan to fly at the extreme edge of the aircrafts flight envelope.

My main interest in the Lotus offering stems from the many great reviews I have read as well as the word-of-mouth regarding how great of an add-on it is.

So, what do you all think? should I go for it and take that little "Pip" around-the-world, or is that a far-fetched idea?

On a side note, any personal thoughts from owners about the add-on in general? Everything I have read thus far seems to be great.

Thanks for your time!

Tylerb59
April 29th, 2010, 13:42
Hello All,

I am in the market for another add-on (it has been 12 minutes since my last purchase :)). I have been looking at the L-39 but was wondering about it's feasability for an around-the-world flight.

In particular, the "Racer" airframe (I think it looks the best, lol). Now, I understand the racer version probably has a smaller tank and an increase in speed while using the same engine, but is this an issue if I pla to make quite a few stops along the way? I do not plan on flying hundreds and hundreds of miles between each leg, nor do I plan to fly at the extreme edge of the aircrafts flight envelope.

My main interest in the Lotus offering stems from the many great reviews I have read as well as the word-of-mouth regarding how great of an add-on it is.

So, what do you all think? should I go for it and take that little "Pip" around-the-world, or is that a far-fetched idea?

On a side note, any personal thoughts from owners about the add-on in general? Everything I have read thus far seems to be great.

Thanks for your time!

Stops are indeed short relatively, so you'll need to strategically plan it a bit more. Lotus organized a really cool MP trip from Vancouver BC to Czech Republic a few months ago. I was able to join a couple legs, and it was a lot of fun spending time in formation.

Ark
April 29th, 2010, 13:48
Stops are indeed short relatively, so you'll need to strategically plan it a bit more. Lotus organized a really cool MP trip from Vancouver BC to Czech Republic a few months ago. I was able to join a couple legs, and it was a lot of fun spending time in formation.

Sounds like fun. MP trips seem like they would be an interesting adventure, especially with everybody in same/similar aircraft.

Does the "Pipsqueak" have any lights or have they all been stripped for race cofiguration?

ryanbatc
April 29th, 2010, 13:48
It's one of the best.

Perfect for hand flying - very stable.

No autopilot ;) But you can put the simple default one in for heading and altitude hold (I did for vatsim flights)

Also works with the Reality XP GNS430W if you have it:
http://lotussim.com/features-general-rxpgps.html

I highly recommend the plane and the RXP GPS

p.s. yes the racer has lights just like the others....

Lotus
April 29th, 2010, 13:52
Hi Ark. Thanks for your interest in the jet. I can answer your questions on the range of the plane at least. Pipsqueak and the regular L-39s (without tanks) have roughly the same range. Pipsqueak does have reduced internal fuel of course, but it is considerably lighter, has much less drag, and a slightly more powerful engine. So if you're easy on the throttle, and get up to cruising altitude quickly, Pip's higher cruising speed evens things out in the end. Depending on your climb profile and winds etc you can squeeze about 450-500 NM range out of it, but with little to no reserve. 24000 feet and a power setting of 98-102% N1 rpm is about the best configuration for long distance flights. (Just remember to switch on the Oxy) :)

The models with external tanks have roughly 650-700NM range (again wind dependent), but that's enough to do the Canada-Greenland-Iceland-UK gap without much trouble, and I think should be fine for northern pacific crossings (kamchatka-alaska etc). I've done the GIUK transatlantic route a couple of times with the internal fuel only models, but it's very dicey at times. If you get any kind of serious headwind you might be completing the trip in an inflatable raft. ;) It's a challenge anyway!

Cheers,

-Mike

Ark
April 29th, 2010, 14:01
Hi Ark. Thanks for your interest in the jet. I can answer your questions on the range of the plane at least. Pipsqueak and the regular L-39s (without tanks) have roughly the same range. Pipsqueak does have reduced internal fuel of course, but it is considerably lighter, has much less drag, and a slightly more powerful engine. So if you're easy on the throttle, and get up to cruising altitude quickly, Pip's higher cruising speed evens things out in the end. Depending on your climb profile and winds etc you can squeeze about 450-500 NM range out of it, but with little to no reserve. 24000 feet and a power setting of 98-102% N1 rpm is about the best configuration for long distance flights. (Just remember to switch on the Oxy) :)

The models with external tanks have roughly 650-700NM range (again wind dependent), but that's enough to do the Canada-Greenland-Iceland-UK gap without much trouble, and I think should be fine for northern pacific crossings (kamchatka-alaska etc). I've done the GIUK transatlantic route a couple of times with the internal fuel only models, but it's very dicey at times. If you get any kind of serious headwind you might be completing the trip in an inflatable raft. ;) It's a challenge anyway!

Cheers,

-Mike

Thanks, Ryan and Mike.

Mike, the challenge is part of the appeal! :d

I have always liked the "Pipsqueak".....it just looks fast and nimble. Very smooth lines!

Lotus
April 29th, 2010, 14:06
I have always liked the "Pipsqueak".....it just looks fast and nimble. Very smooth lines!

Hehe, agreed. She's a pretty beast. I have to admit though that I went a bit bug eyed while painting the textures. Staring intently at that much red for a few days in a row was hard on the brain. ;)

Her real life owner, Joe Gano, is a really nice guy too.

-Mike

Skittles
April 29th, 2010, 14:14
Lotus I read a funny review the other day. It was a review on one of these informal sites.

He was complaining that his L-39 was completely broken. He said if he took it above 24,000ft it made his screen go black.

:icon_lol:

Pfft, who needs to read the manual...

Naki
April 29th, 2010, 15:00
haha I read the same review ....****!..especially if you are doing review...although I guess we are all guilty on not reading the manuals at times

GT182
April 29th, 2010, 15:11

Ark, she is fast and nimble. I know that first hand as I've been up in the "real" Pipsqueak. ;) She is one sweet ride, especially when flying straight and level. Doing aerobatics and approaches is a blast in her too. I joined the 7G Club in her this past November, and still relive it in my dreams. BTW, that was done without a G-suit. ;)

Mike's Lotus Sim L-39 is a purchase you won't regret.... he and his group did a fantastic job.