PDA

View Full Version : CARENADO RELEASES F33A BONANZA FOR FSX!!

Cleartheprop
April 29th, 2010, 09:40
found HERE (http://www.carenado.com/ecommerce/buscador.php3?id_producto=82)..
:ernae:

hews500d
April 29th, 2010, 10:04
Very cool :jump::jump::jump: Been waiting on this one for a loooong time !

Darrell

gajit
April 29th, 2010, 10:06
Well done for telling :salute:

Kiwikat
April 29th, 2010, 10:09
omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg

:d

NWarty
April 29th, 2010, 10:10
YEAH BABY!!! Will be picking this one up tonight:jump:

hews500d
April 29th, 2010, 10:18
omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg

:d

Kiwi, calm down, don't 4get to breathe in there somewhere :icon_lol::wavey:

Darrell

gajit
April 29th, 2010, 10:23
wow my internet is slow today - gonna take an hour to get 58MB of Carenado excellence!!

NWarty
April 29th, 2010, 10:23
Post some pics guys, I won't DL this puppy for another eight hours or so :frown:

Cleartheprop
April 29th, 2010, 10:44
Here is a quick shot !
http://www.cleartheprop.com/images/bonan/bonan%20big.jpg

ryanbatc
April 29th, 2010, 10:50
How's the FDE?

FPS good as usual?

Mirrored textures?

Are there 3d knobs on the GPS, ie - will I be able to put the RXP unit in???

Thanks!

Kiwikat
April 29th, 2010, 10:54
Well I've already made a few changes...

First and foremost: (answers your question, Ryan)
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/whippetstorm/bonanzavc.jpg

Then:

pitch_stability =1.05 //1.0
elevator_effectiveness =0.9 //1.25
elevator_trim_effectiveness =1.0 //1.2

The pitch axis is crazy like its an extra 300 or something so those few lines tamed it a bit.

ryanbatc
April 29th, 2010, 10:56
Thanks, is there a storm scope in there? I thought I saw one in the previews....

bstolle
April 29th, 2010, 11:04
Another set of bad FDEs? **Sigh** thanks for the info but this is a no go for me.

Kiwikat
April 29th, 2010, 11:07
Another set of bad FDEs? **Sigh** thanks for the info but this is a no go for me.

Full flaps is also way too draggy. I had to be at like 90% throttle to stay in the air. Dropping the flaps' drag scalar from 2.4 to 2.0 seems to have made it a bit more believable. (drag_scalar = 2.0 //2.4)

They definitely need to work on the flight model. Otherwise this is easily the best Carenado release. Though I'm not biased or anything...

MCDesigns
April 29th, 2010, 11:11

You base this off one persons perspective, unbelievable, LOL. :isadizzy:

Thanks for the HU on the release, off to see about getting it, wish it was at simmarket already.

piperarcherpilot
April 29th, 2010, 11:13
How's the FDE?

FPS good as usual?

Mirrored textures?

Are there 3d knobs on the GPS, ie - will I be able to put the RXP unit in???

Thanks!

Overall the FDE is good. The real bonanza IS very maneuverable, and compared to other FS planes i didnt find the default pitch stability to be 'wrong' necessarily. One thing thats WAY WAY wrong though (and this is from RW experience flying and instructing in an E33C bonanza):

Power off and power on stall characteristics. The real Bonanza is very unforgiving in the stall - very abrupt wing drop (if at ALL uncoordinated) and has a very abrupt 'break'. This model just mushes and falls to the ground tail low?!?!?

Aside from that, everything else seems pretty close to reality (granted I only did a fifteen minute flight with it with a normal takeoff, few manuevers in the practice area, and power off 180). I havent looked at details like power / prop vs. speed and stuff like that yet.

Oh, the idle power sound is not right. A bonanza will idle around 600-800 rpm if you want it to, and in this sim, the sounds dont match the idle speed at all when it gets down under about 1500. The lowest Carenado idle sound sounds like about 1200 rpm.....wonder how hard that will be to fix....?

Edit: Flaps too much drag at full? Why in the world would you have full flaps with power in aside from a go-around? I'll check this out in the sim, but I didnt notice any flap drag strangeness when I flew it. The real bonanza is a very 'clean' airframe and accellerates quickly, but enormous amounts of drag arise from gear and flaps. To hold slow flight in real life with gear and flaps full, you need lots of power. I'll check this when I can.

Definintely some areas to improve upon, but I'm pretty happy! The 'feeling' of sitting there is pretty good. :)

Again, nice job Carenado!!

Kiwikat
April 29th, 2010, 11:14
You base this off one persons perspective, unbelievable, LOL. :isadizzy:

That's a good point. Others may think that it is fine. I know my X52 pro is too sensitive so that might be having a slight impact on my opinions. We'll see what everyone else thinks. :jump:

So far I give it a thumbs up. My favorite GA plane has finally been nicely done for FSX!

Cleartheprop
April 29th, 2010, 11:15
another one..
http://www.cleartheprop.com/images/bonan/panel.jpg

tigisfat
April 29th, 2010, 11:26
This looks like a solid release, but I'm glad we have a V-tail. The V-tails just have a timeless classiness that's hard to beat.

Kiwikat
April 29th, 2010, 11:29
Edit: Flaps too much drag at full? Why in the world would you have full flaps with power in aside from a go-around? I'll check this out in the sim, but I didnt notice any flap drag strangeness when I flew it. The real bonanza is a very 'clean' airframe and accellerates quickly, but enormous amounts of drag arise from gear and flaps. To hold slow flight in real life with gear and flaps full, you need lots of power. I'll check this when I can.

Well on approach i decided to go to full flaps and the thing just about dropped out of the sky unless I had the throttle all the way up. Other planes for the sim don't repeat such behavior, whether it be other Carenado ones, A2A, realair, whoever. I'm going to take a look at some manuals and see what they have to say.

ryanbatc
April 29th, 2010, 11:31
Anyone check out the static wicks while in flight? ;)

I notice the same issues I have on takeoff with their Arrow - it needs A TON of trim, then once you get it level all the trim has to go away hehe. Never flown a F33 myself but I don't remember the Piper singles behaving like that in the real world...

I also noticed the storm scope is replaced by an engine gauge (not talking about the jpi gauge)

I'll have to put my RXP in too, and your edits kiwi - I'm observing the same behavior as you...

Only other funny thing is for screenshots - the center is like the firewall I think... ie the VC gauges, so it's hard to get close up center shots

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/f331.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/f332.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/f333.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/f334.jpg

Kiwikat
April 29th, 2010, 11:45
So I've done some reading of pilots notes and such.

Full flaps is almost always used with the Bonanza (and most other planes) on approach.

One source said that the mp should be around 13.5 with full flaps on short final. This isn't even close to possible, even with my modification. The lowest manifold pressure I could use to even stay in the air is around 20. I'm going to change the value some more to see if I can hit closer to the numbers that manuals and pilots are indicating.

More to come...

Another note:

The takeoff distance is HORRIBLY wrong. The F33A is supposed to take off in a little over 1000 feet. The best I can do with flaps 15 is around 2400. I'm not sure what's wrong here...

TeiscoDelRay
April 29th, 2010, 11:55
Man I wish this was a V tail...

piperarcherpilot
April 29th, 2010, 12:09

Full flaps is almost always used with the Bonanza (and most other planes) on approach.

One source said that the mp should be around 13.5 with full flaps on short final. This isn't even close to possible, even with my modification. The lowest manifold pressure I could use to even stay in the air is around 20. I'm going to change the value some more to see if I can hit closer to the numbers that manuals and pilots are indicating.

More to come...

Another note:

The takeoff distance is HORRIBLY wrong. The F33A is supposed to take off in a little over 1000 feet. The best I can do with flaps 15 is around 2400. I'm not sure what's wrong here...

You are right on both accounts. The acceleration on takeoff is way too slow too....hmm...

Kiwikat
April 29th, 2010, 12:11
You are right on both accounts. The acceleration on takeoff is way too slow too....hmm...

Do you happen to have one of them solid rocket boosters available? :173go1:

Lionheart
April 29th, 2010, 12:25
Another jewel from Carenado...

I would prefer the V-tail personally.

Man, that is one brilliant job on the panel. Looks like a brand new plane.

On airfiles, I always tweak them on any plane I purchase. I think we all have our own tastes individually on what we feel comfortable with. Some like it rough, some like it gentle...

Bill

Kiwikat
April 29th, 2010, 12:28
Some like it rough, some like it gentle...

... and some like it realistic. :wiggle:

I'm sure Carenado will work on fixing it real quick like they did with previous aircraft. I've posted on their forums over on AVSIM too so hopefully they will see the comments.

piperarcherpilot
April 29th, 2010, 12:45
On Takeoff Performance:

Actually, I was serious. Acceleration on takeoff feels too slow and this may be connected to using too much runway for takeoff. According to my Beech POH/AFM, A fully loaded (3400lbs) F33A should be using about 1500 feet of runway for a normal, no flaps, no wind takeoff (rotate at 70 kts). The sim version uses about 2100 feet for the same and it struggles to get into the air at 70 kts. So theres something off a little here.

On trim:

The real Bonanza I flew, we used 6 units up trim for takeoff. That feels about accurate for this model.

On flaps drag: Yes, its too high, but not by much. The gear being extended creates LOTS of drag in real life, and not much in this sim version. One thing we were always taught during training is if you get into a 'bad' situation and need to slow down quickly (or recover from a spin) - throw the gear out! Below 153 kts (177mph), you wont hurt the gear.

Heres verbatim from our real world FTM:

Normal Landing: Downwind leg
-Level at traffic pattern altitude
-Speed 105 kts - 15" MP, prop at 2500 rpm
-Extend gear at field midpoint
-Perform Before Landing Checklist

Abeam Touchdown
-Reduce throttle to 14" MP and adjust as required
-Set flaps to 10 degrees or as required
-Establish speed of 95 kts
-Prop foward to high RPM

Base Leg
-Set flaps 20 degrees or as required
-Establish 85 kts
-Scan final approach for traffic

Final Approach
-Set flaps to DN - 30 degrees
-Stabilize final approach at 80 kts
-Touchdown smoothly on the main landing gear at the approximate stalling speed with no longitudinal drift over centerline.

gradyhappyg
April 29th, 2010, 13:13
Agreed take off distance is waaaaaay too long. Just plunked into the local lake 3 times trying to take off from my favorite lil airfield untill I changed to the longer runway at KGSO. Once in the air she handles pretty well no problems on landing either. All in all another fine plane from Carenado just needs a little tweaking.

piperarcherpilot
April 29th, 2010, 13:18
Okay guys, here's what I'm using for now (seems reasonably accurate my my RW experience in an E33C):

Mods to the cfg:

parasite_drag_scalar =0.9 //was 0.8

[propeller]
thrust_scalar=0.90 //was .80 - new number seems to help t/o performance - might want to go higher still (but too high may mess with cruise power)

[Flaps.0]
drag_scalar = 1.9

Takeoff with trim just under 6 units up, and it should be a lot better.

Everything seems and feels pretty close now. Performance agrees with the books pretty closely with a few discrepancies. Still, the stall performance is very unrealistic....we'll wait to see what Carenado does about that...

Remember, this is a high performance plane. If you're not careful with power, it will bite in real life. Reduce power at 2 inches MP per minute in the descent. If you monkey the throttle around, you'll shock cool it/unbalance the engine crankshaft and screw lots up. So when testing, try to be smooth with everything. It seems pretty 'right' to me so far.

Below: flying final on GS at 80 kts, prop forward, gear down, flaps full, MP 16-17". Thats right on!

gajit
April 29th, 2010, 13:31
It was worth the wait - impossible to take a bad screenshot :jump:

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq119/GAJIT/f33ust.jpg

piperarcherpilot
April 29th, 2010, 13:41
Pictures I took of the Bonanza I've got time in:

http://brandontempletonphotos.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Flying-Miscellaneous/11652837_4ctLj#821703922_nMFHd-A-LB

http://brandontempletonphotos.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Flying-Miscellaneous/11652837_4ctLj#821703083_oM2ib-XL-LB

ryanbatc
April 29th, 2010, 13:53
Nice pic!!

Holy crap did anyone notice they included a few different models, with transparent windows/without and a single and double yoke version!! Look in the aircraft's folder!

And while it isn't a big deal for me, but I think the default gps has a bug. You try to view the generic map on the 2nd screen within the first group and nothing happens.

gajit
April 29th, 2010, 14:50
Yes - saw dif versions - great to have the choice.

Also remember on every piper carendo have ever done i have complained that the small window for the pilot did not open - it does on this!! :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

TeiscoDelRay
April 29th, 2010, 15:19
For those of you with the payware V tail version how would you compare the two?

Rimshot
April 30th, 2010, 03:16
She looks good. Does anyone know if there's any use for the second ADF unit? Looking at the screenshots above I can only spot one RMI...

tigisfat
April 30th, 2010, 09:00
Everyone keeps complaining about how it's not a V tail. Why don't you go get FSD's brand new V tail bonanza?

spotlope
April 30th, 2010, 09:14
Everyone keeps complaining about how it's not a V tail. Why don't you go get FSD's brand new V tail bonanza?

I'm not complaining. I kinda like it's "L" tail. ;)

ryanbatc
April 30th, 2010, 09:25
What are you guys all using for FDE tweaks? So far I've used what piperarcherpilot has posted:

Under flaps.0
drag_scalar = 1.9 //was 2.4

[propeller]
thrust_scalar=0.90 //was .80

under flight tuning
parasite_drag_scalar =0.9 //was 0.8

NWarty
April 30th, 2010, 09:32
Is anyone else's Garmin GPS not showing that it's "on" when in the VC. I haven't tested it with the other models, but the German Dark blue/white model has this error.

ryanbatc
April 30th, 2010, 09:37
Stupid question: have you turned it on with the power button in the upper left corner? (small knob with a c on it)

NWarty
April 30th, 2010, 09:45
Stupid question: have you turned it on with the power button in the upper left corner? (small knob with a c on it)

Yeah I did. Figured somebody would ask that one :wiggle:

Kiwikat
April 30th, 2010, 09:46
What are you guys all using for FDE tweaks?

Here's a list of all the changes I have made:

[weight_and_balance]
empty_weight = 2125 //2183? I forgot to save old value
empty_weight_pitch_MOI = 3500 //4100
empty_weight_yaw_MOI = 4000 //4500

[flight_tuning]
parasite_drag_scalar =0.9 //0.8
elevator_effectiveness =0.9 //1.25
elevator_trim_effectiveness =0.9 //1.2

[propeller]
thrust_scalar=0.95 //0.8

[Flaps.0]
drag_scalar = 1.8 //2.4

I'm relatively happy with these settings. The takeoff roll still isn't right but the rest isn't too bad.

TeiscoDelRay
April 30th, 2010, 09:57

I am thinking about it and would like a comparison between the two.

gradyhappyg
April 30th, 2010, 10:00
Is anyone else's Garmin GPS not showing that it's "on" when in the VC. I haven't tested it with the other models, but the German Dark blue/white model has this error.
If you turn on the GPS while in windowed view you have to turn it on again when you switch to the VC.
Weird I know.

NWarty
April 30th, 2010, 10:01
Thanks Kiwi. Will have to try those.

In regards to my GPS problem...after too many Hefeweizens, I probably just forgot to turn on the stupid avionics switch. :redf:

tigisfat
April 30th, 2010, 10:01

The Carenado is nice. I think the FSD and the Carenado both compliment each other well. We're fortunate to have both models available to us.

gajit
April 30th, 2010, 10:03
The Carenado is nice. I think the FSD and the Carenado both compliment each other well. We're fortunate to have both models available to us.

Bleeping hell Tigisfat - have you been on some kind of diplomacy course!!!! LOL :salute:

Kiwikat
April 30th, 2010, 10:08

I prefer the straight tail Bonanza too. I also prefer the looks of the Carenado version to the FSD one...

So it was an easy decision for me. :salute:

It is good to have options though. So many times in FS we don't have them.

gradyhappyg
April 30th, 2010, 10:36
Having both I will say the Carenado looks better the FDS flys better.

tigisfat
April 30th, 2010, 11:51
Bleeping hell Tigisfat - have you been on some kind of diplomacy course!!!! LOL :salute:

A lot has changed in the flight simming world. Many of the things that used to make me angry have fixed themselves over time.

gajit
April 30th, 2010, 13:48
A lot has changed in the flight simming world. Many of the things that used to make me angry have fixed themselves over time.

I feel your love man :ernae:

Ken Stallings
April 30th, 2010, 14:28

More to come...

Another note:

If you are referencing an official source, like a F33 Pilot's Manual, then by all means go with it. However, the general rule for a GA aircraft for approach speed is 17 inches MAP and full RPM, unless you decide to keep 2400 RPM and gangload the throttle quadrant forward on a go around.

Cheers,

Ken

Ken Stallings
April 30th, 2010, 14:32
Carenado could have prevented all these FDE issues by soliciting the beta test services of actual Bonanza pilots. I am sure they could have found several who would have provided them with valuable technical feedback.

Ken

PRB
April 30th, 2010, 14:41
It was worth the wait - impossible to take a bad screenshot :jump:

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq119/GAJIT/f33ust.jpg

Wow. What a great screen shot! I may have to buy this one now! :icon_lol:

tigisfat
April 30th, 2010, 15:48
Carenado could have prevented all these FDE issues by soliciting the beta test services of actual Bonanza pilots. I am sure they could have found several who would have provided them with valuable technical feedback.

Ken

FSD's was built by a bonanza pilot.

spotlope
April 30th, 2010, 16:09

Ken

Curiously, one of the most vocal defenders of the B33's FDE on Avsim is a Bonanza Pilot.

Kiwikat
April 30th, 2010, 16:23
Curiously, one of the most vocal defenders of the B33's FDE on Avsim is a Bonanza Pilot.

Yes, of a 225 HP Bonanza... This one has like 25% more power.

The F33 will not take 2500 feet to take off. What one pilot says doesn't matter. Everyone else and other sources (manuals, guides, forum posts) all point that he is wrong along with Carenado's flight model. HIS Bonanza might take 2500 feet, but the F33 does not. :salute:

I am really awaiting some movement by Carenado.

NWarty
April 30th, 2010, 17:33
Well dangit. Still no GPS showing in the VC. I confirmed this after I deleted my fsx.cfg and had the aircraft started up once I hit "fly now". Confirmed that all power was on and avionics switch ticked on, GPS opened up to the 2D separate panel and was indeed powered on. Running full-screen in DX9 mode.

Scratching my head here...

Ken Stallings
April 30th, 2010, 18:17

That is very curious indeed, considering the referencing of the manual's data not matching actual experience in FSX.

Ken

Ken Stallings
April 30th, 2010, 18:18
Yes, of a 225 HP Bonanza... This one has like 25% more power.

The F33 will not take 2500 feet to take off. What one pilot says doesn't matter. Everyone else and other sources (manuals, guides, forum posts) all point that he is wrong along with Carenado's flight model. HIS Bonanza might take 2500 feet, but the F33 does not. :salute:

I am really awaiting some movement by Carenado.

Undeniable points made there!

However, consider one possible partial explanation. Sometimes, manufacturers flat out lie and they lie most often when publishing the performance tables. They do say in the manuals that the takeoff distance is considered a best case outcome with a test pilot intimately familiar with the optimal procedures. However, your earlier point is that we are talking about over twice the runway distance and no manual is that much in a lie!

I could understand the FDS requiring 1,500 feet takeoff run vice 1,000, but not 2,500 vice the 1,000 out of the manual. And furthermore, while I have not flown a Bonanza, I have to agree that 2,500 feet takeoff roll is very long.

I'm also confident based upon the facts you understand that you tested this out on a runway near sea level and a density altitude near normal. Because it would take a wide deviation from either to account for such a gross inflation.

Ken

Ken

tigisfat
April 30th, 2010, 18:35
Undeniable points made there!

However, consider one possible partial explanation. Sometimes, manufacturers flat out lie and they lie most often when publishing the performance tables. They do say in the manuals that the takeoff distance is considered a best case outcome with a test pilot intimately familiar with the optimal procedures. However, your earlier point is that we are talking about over twice the runway distance and no manual is that much in a lie!Is your 310 that far off? I've found in GA that if I plan to the T and account for everything I'm supposed to, it's usually pretty close. Mind you I don't have a jillion hours in barons and 310s like you, but I usually rely on published performance data. That's what it's there for. If I think there's some age related mechanical issue, I just won't fly. Those days are over for me.

I'm also confident based upon the facts you understand that you tested this out on a runway near sea level and a density altitude near normal. Because it would take a wide deviation from either to account for such a gross inflation.I don't think it'd be too far off to assume that simmers aren't acounting for density altitude.

Kiwikat
April 30th, 2010, 19:09
I'm also confident based upon the facts you understand that you tested this out on a runway near sea level and a density altitude near normal. Because it would take a wide deviation from either to account for such a gross inflation.

KATW (and the surrounding area) is less than 1000 feet ASL. I was testing with usually clear and sometimes fair weather defaults.

PRB
April 30th, 2010, 19:24
... I don't think it'd be too far off to assume that simmers aren't acounting for density altitude.

This simmer does. And I'm not very smart, so that means most others probably are too.

NWarty
April 30th, 2010, 22:09
My GPS issue is solved. The 2D GPS and VC GPS work independently from each other.

thunder100
May 1st, 2010, 00:44
Hi

I have both and I am happy with both (FSD V and the F33)

If I have to go for one only then the Carenado.And they made many nice things

To name one -->the Non 3d Knobs Interior which I tweaked to Sandel and Avidine already,as was the last G36 I have flown some time ago

Also I imported the 2D panel of there original F33(easier to dial in the AP etc) which works perfect too

FDE most of you are right FSD is better ,but with the tweaks here it is OK.I also think that the CG is a bit too much forward.

Roland

By the way Carenado also will launch a V tail version(have an Email)

Roland

JensOle
May 1st, 2010, 02:59
Looks nice! Anybody making a USAF sensor relay QU-22 Pave Eagle paint? The usaf machine did not look exactly the same due to its reworked engine/prop speed-reduction gear system, lots of antennas, wing tanks etc, but I believe this model still can be used for making a nice Pave Eagle representation to be flown from NKP together with the skyraiders :)

Regards
Jens-Ole

rsgunner
May 1st, 2010, 04:55
By chance does this one come with a paint kit or just a set of blank textures?

Russ

tigisfat
May 1st, 2010, 07:59
This simmer does. And I'm not very smart, so that means most others probably are too.

You're pulling my leg. You keep an air density altitude chart AND aircraft specific takeoff performance charts with you and use them for every takeoff in FSX?

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/walkeramerican/forum%20commentary%20pictures/skepticalhippo.jpg

piperarcherpilot
May 1st, 2010, 12:17
Based on my understanding of aerodynamics, Im thinking even in this sim this would be a big issue to tackle......but anyone have a clue how to adjust the stall characteristics? Hopefully theres something simple...?

spotlope
May 1st, 2010, 13:10
Based on my understanding of aerodynamics, Im thinking even in this sim this would be a big issue to tackle......but anyone have a clue how to adjust the stall characteristics? Hopefully theres something simple...?

I don't think there's anything simple about adjusting AIR files. That's why truly talented devs who can do it are in short supply, and always in demand. Ask Pam (warchild) about it... ;)

thunder100
May 1st, 2010, 23:45
By chance does this one come with a paint kit or just a set of blank textures?

Russ

Yes there is a white and a alu-plain version

Roland

TeiscoDelRay
May 2nd, 2010, 05:32
Does anyone know ETA of their V tail version? Someone stated it was in the works.

Kiwikat
May 2nd, 2010, 10:52
Here are my last tweaks...

First off, for those who have them:
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/whippetstorm/bonanzalights.jpg

[lights]
light.0 = 3, -1.4, -15.4, 1.7, Fx_shockwave_navred,
light.1 = 3, -1.4, 15.4, 1.7, Fx_shockwave_navgre,
light.2 = 5, 5.2, 0.0, 0.39, Fx_shockwave_landing_light_small_xenon,
light.3 = 2, -1.0, -15.2, 1.6, Fx_shockwave_strobe,
light.4 = 2, -1.0, 15.2, 1.6, Fx_shockwave_strobe,
light.5 = 1, -9.6, 0.4, 3.325, Fx_shockwave_beaconh,
light.6 = 10, -2.0, 0, 2.50, fx_vclightefetres

And the rest:

[weight_and_balance]
empty_weight = 2125 //Don't remember original
empty_weight_pitch_MOI = 3500 //4100
empty_weight_yaw_MOI = 4000 //4500

[flight_tuning]
roll_stability =1.05 //1.0
parasite_drag_scalar =0.95 //0.8
elevator_effectiveness =0.85 //1.25

[propeller]
thrust_scalar=1.0 //0.8

[Flaps.0]
drag_scalar = 1.8 //2.4

Enjoy! :wavey:

TeiscoDelRay
May 2nd, 2010, 11:15
Can you use the shockwave lights that come with the B-17 or do you have to buy the light package to use them on other planes?

Kiwikat
May 2nd, 2010, 11:31
You are supposed to buy the lights package for other aircraft. I believe it is in the EULA...

NWarty
May 2nd, 2010, 18:56
Anybody else notice water droplets on the prop when it's raining? :applause:

Below are some shots with Maui X and REX2.0

NWarty
May 2nd, 2010, 19:14
Some more

Kiwikat
May 2nd, 2010, 19:21
Anybody else notice water droplets on the prop when it's raining? :applause:

I still don't know what you mean, even after you posted 10 screenshots. :toilet:

PRB
May 2nd, 2010, 19:41
I still don't know what you mean, even after you posted 10 screenshots. :toilet:

I'm going way out on a limb here, but I bet he's refering to ... water droplets on the prop when it's raining...

Kiwikat
May 2nd, 2010, 19:50
I'm going way out on a limb here, but I bet he's refering to ... water droplets on the prop when it's raining...

Unless I'm blind, none of his screenshots show raindrops. :isadizzy:

I guess I haven't flown this thing in rain yet.

PRB
May 2nd, 2010, 19:56
LOLOL. Well, it isn't raining in any of his screen shots! I think he meant that as an "oh my the way, although I don't have a pic of it here, among my ten screen shots, have you noticed..." That sort of thing... :icon_lol:

Kiwikat
May 2nd, 2010, 20:01
LOLOL. Well, it isn't raining in any of his screen shots! I think he meant that as an "oh my the way, although I don't have a pic of it here, among my ten screen shots, have you noticed..." That sort of thing... :icon_lol:

Odd...

"This plane has a really cool afterburner effect!!! Have you seen how cool it is!? Here's 10 shots of it on the ground turned off..." :173go1:

NWarty
May 2nd, 2010, 21:01
Here's the shot. Taken at Roche Harbor, WA with REX2.0 running real world weather.

Next time I'll be sure to follow through and ensure I post a screen shot. Christ....

spotlope
May 2nd, 2010, 21:28
Odd...

"This plane has a really cool afterburner effect!!! Have you seen how cool it is!? Here's 10 shots of it on the ground turned off..." :173go1:

Post hoc ergo propter hoc, William. They're great shots, though. :salute:

tigisfat
May 2nd, 2010, 21:37
Kiwikat and PRB, come on down. You've won the 'argument of the week award'!! Yes that's right, you also get a championship belt!! You'll have to decide who wears it at any given time though.

I needed that laugh.

I also don't understand how that's a post hoc fallacy, but....

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/walkeramerican/forum%20commentary%20pictures/wwfbelt.jpg

Kiwikat
May 2nd, 2010, 22:07
Lol I wasn't arguing. I just thought it funny that he was explaining how cool a feature was and then didn't show it.

I guess my sarcasm wasn't apparant this time... :\

No hard feelings NWarty, I actually enjoyed your screenshots but was a little confused because they didn't show what you said. :salute: :icon29:

I also don't understand how that's a post hoc fallacy

+1! Usually I'm pretty good with that stuff too...

shackleton_boy
May 2nd, 2010, 22:18
so the RMI doesnt change between NDB and VOR... wtf?! surely thats a basic beta testing thing - click all that should be clickable and make sure it works....

spotlope
May 2nd, 2010, 22:39
LOLZ, kiddies. I was just thinking that he said he saw some cool drops on the prop, then showed you some great screenies. He never said one followed the other. ;)

Peace, y'all.

NWarty
May 3rd, 2010, 01:06
Well,
I guess I got my point across, sorta backward though. :isadizzy:

2Low
May 3rd, 2010, 02:33
LOL! Easy to see where confusion could creep in here. I did the same as Kiwikat looking for drops. Thought I missed them so I went through the shots again.

This was not a bad thing because those are some nice screen grabs and I quite enjoyed them. Great job NWarty!

PRB, Spotlope and Kiwi all cracked me up here but Tigisfat stole the day with that belt! Thanks everyone for starting my day off with a light hearted chuckle.

Oh yeah, the water on the prop is definitely a cool feature, good eye NWarty.:ernae:

JensOle
May 3rd, 2010, 12:52
Not often I paint GA aircraft, but there is a first for everything…lol <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
The Carenado Bonanza painted like a QU-22B "Mini Bat" 70-01547 of the 554th Reconnaissance Squadron which in the early 1970’s provided sensor data relay mission in support of IGLOO WHITE program over <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Laos</st1:place></st1:country-region>. The squadron flew out of Nakhon Phanom RTAFB in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Thailand</st1:place></st1:country-region>. This aircraft crashed on a combat mission on August 19, 1972 due to turbulence, the pilot survived and was later rescued.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The mini QU-22 replaced the large four engined EC-121 Constellation in this role in an effort to save costs….. It was planned to be flown as an unmanned drone, but as for as my research goes was it always used with a pilot flying it on combat missions. I would have been scared ****less going in over <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Laos</st1:place></st1:country-region> and the Trail in a small civilian one engine aircraft as the QU-22B, not to mention the weather in this part of the world. <o:p></o:p>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/USA/Scrshot4132.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/USA/Scrshot4062.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/USA/Scrshot4192.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/USA/Scrshot4142.jpg

JimC1702
May 3rd, 2010, 13:53
Wow, that looks fantastic. Are you going to be uploading it? :jump:

Jim

JensOle
May 4th, 2010, 10:12
Thanks, thats the plan...

I have also made a YQU-22A repaint, this was the operational test aircraft before the dedicated B model entered service. Det 1 of the 553rd RW tested the YQU-22A out of NKP in 1969 and this highlighted many serious problems with using such a small GA aircraft for the relay role over very hostile terrain and weather. It took over 2 hours for the aircraft to climb to the operational altitude of 24.000ft and the aircraft lacked de icing equipment which is very important for flying over SEA during the rainy season.

JensOle
May 5th, 2010, 10:04
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/minibat.jpg

Kiwikat
May 5th, 2010, 10:07
Those paints look excellent! When will they be available? :wavey:

Thanks! :salute:

piperarcherpilot
May 5th, 2010, 11:58
I'm trying to repaint the Bonanza...

What format should the .bmp files be saved in to avoid having a grey shiny plane in the sim? I'm assuming something with the alpha channel?

spotlope
May 5th, 2010, 13:01
The original textures are in DXT5 with alpha channels. I think you're probably right about the shine being in the alpha. If you save the originals in some 32-bit format that maintains the alpha and paint that, you should be good.

piperarcherpilot
May 5th, 2010, 14:52
Thanks spotlope ! That was it! :)

tigisfat
May 5th, 2010, 20:31

beautiful!!

Merkava
May 6th, 2010, 03:08
Very sorry about my poor english.
Is any chance for two version of visual model? I know that it's hard to make opening door nice on this shape, but I really never open door on model, but often see on it from outside. And I see those bad things around right door (on back-top part, right on top on passanger window). Not big deal, but If it's possible to switch model for no-booleaned door - it'll be just nice.

Thank you Bonanza. Waiting V-tail. :)

shackleton_boy
May 6th, 2010, 20:11
so SP1 and SP2 out but the RMI switches still dont work....

bmd
May 7th, 2010, 10:54
Hello JensOle,

The screenshots of your repaints of Bonanza F33A as YQU_22A and YQU-22B, are wonderful. I hope that you will upload them.

Have a good day

Benoit

doublecool
May 8th, 2010, 03:39
Cool paints and we need a few of them :salute:

Thanks and look forward to them :ernae:

Naki
May 11th, 2010, 18:51
I have been eyeing up the Bonanza for sometime and waiting for the SPs to come out to fix the small bugs before buying....looks like these have now been ironed out now...only one thing making me hesitate is the lack of a Kiwi reg....love to have a repaint like this....

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l193/Naki_04/PA273541_blogger.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l193/Naki_04/PA273549_blogger.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l193/Naki_04/PA273544_blogger.jpg

...failing that I woud be quite happy to have a ZK reg on a default scheme ..actually what is easiest way to do this? :wavey:

Tim_Horton
May 12th, 2010, 05:30
The easiest way is to use the Built in FSX Ident Code when you select your aircraft. The other way is to create a custom paint, Either ask someone really nicely to do it for your, or do it yourself using Gimp/Photoshop/ and learn a thing or two in the process.

Blue
May 25th, 2010, 02:14
JensOle, your repaints look amazing. I really hope you make the available to the public. I would love to have them both in my hanger sir. :salute:

doublecool
May 28th, 2010, 16:05
JensOle Nicely Done...the details

doublecool
May 28th, 2010, 17:43
Here's another beauty...:salute: the interior is a really Nice Touch :applause:

Pity this is the only repaint I'v found for this winner from Carenado

doublecool
June 9th, 2010, 15:51

JensOle this sticky is getting a little old so this is just a reminder on these wonderful paints

I believe anyone whom has this plane would say a big
Thank you

I am

JensOle
June 10th, 2010, 02:22
Sorry for the delay, the packing of the QU-22's are almost finished, just need to find the motivation to finish the readme files...

Blue
June 10th, 2010, 07:45
No rush bud, they look amazing and I am certain they are worth the wait. :salute:

doublecool
June 10th, 2010, 14:38
DoubleC:jump::jump:L :salute:

Snave
June 11th, 2010, 03:52
Air Force Gray really suits the contours of the aircraft - look forward to the release!:salute:

Stan V.
June 16th, 2010, 10:15
Here's another beauty...:salute: the interior is a really Nice Touch :applause:

Pity this is the only repaint I'v found for this winner from Carenado

DoubleCool,

Where did you find that repaint?

doublecool
June 16th, 2010, 14:08
I went looking for you but can't seem to find it anywhere

Spotlope I believe was the artist :salute:...

But I could be wrong, Wife reminds me of that ALL the Time:173go1:

Please, could someone help us out... its a Brilliant paint Jag Green

Plus JensOle is going to upload here to the outhouse the two wonderful paints YQU-22A and QU-22B when he gets a chance :jump:

spotlope
June 16th, 2010, 14:15
I did the Jaguar repaint. You can download it from my site at http://iblueyonder.com - just click the "freeware" link up top.

doublecool
June 16th, 2010, 14:47
I did the Jaguar repaint. You can download it from my site at http://iblueyonder.com - just click the "freeware" link up top.

Stan that is what you call SERVICE

Thanks Bill

Stan V.
June 16th, 2010, 14:48

Thanks, guys - I got it - and thank you Spotlope for doing it.

doublecool
July 4th, 2010, 04:57
Sorry for the delay, the packing of the QU-22's are almost finished, just need to find the motivation to finish the readme files...

Just a reminder Jenole

bmd
June 6th, 2013, 07:10
Hello,

The QU-22B repaint of the Carenado F33A Bonanza is available in SOH library

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=3&linkid=16560

A wonderful repaint art work and one of ny favorite for the Carenado F33A. However please note tthat the bmp file corresponding to the interrior textures are not included to reduce the zip file size.

I suggest to use the interior files of the texture.GREYGREEN folder. Make a copy of the files
CARinterior_A.bmp, CARinterior_C.bmp, CARinterior_D.bmp, CARinterior_E.bmp, CARinterior_F.bmp, CARinterior_I.bmp
and paste tem in the texture.usaf and texture.usaf2 folders

Thank Jens-Ole for this wonderful repaint art work.

Have a good day

Benoit

JensOle
June 6th, 2013, 11:42
Thanks for the kind words! The repaint had been collecting dust for a very long time and it is good to see People enjoy it.

The Beech QU-22 certainly is a rather interesting warbird from the Vietnam war among the fast movers. It took over the signal relay mission from the EC-121...going from one of the biggest aircraft to one of the smalles for the same task. It shows guts to fly a single engined GA aircraft into a combat area, not to speak about the weather over south east asia... If I remember right so was the lack of all weather capability/tolerance to turbulence which was the reason for several crashes and the types withdrawal in 1972.