PDA

View Full Version : FSX Graphic Engine - sold..?

Seahawk72s
April 28th, 2010, 09:40
Hi,
There is a rumor that the FSX graphic engine has been sold to Lockheed Martin..?

Any truth..?

tc

Wozza
April 28th, 2010, 09:47
Hi
No not really,Its ESP related and old news if thats what your referring to :)
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17835
also flight1 software has some sort of agreement as well
http://www.flight1tech.com/
Cheers
Wozza

tigisfat
April 28th, 2010, 10:03
Hopefully noone would be dumb enough to buy the FSX engine. Isn't FSX's just a tweaked version of the engine introduced with FS2000?

n4gix
April 28th, 2010, 10:37
Hi,
There is a rumor that the FSX graphic engine has been sold to Lockheed Martin..?

Any truth..?

tc

As stated previously, this is "old news." L-M only licensed the source code for ESP1 so they can continue to develop military/industrial applications. Their license explicitly denies them permission to use it for any other purpose, most especially "entertainment products" for public consumption and/or sale.

F1's license only grants permission to continue using the compiled ESP1 binaries for their commercial projects, with the same exclusions listed for L-M.

In neither case does it have any impact whatsoever on the entertainment market, such as us... :bump:

Wozza
April 28th, 2010, 10:49
Hopefully noone would be dumb enough to buy the FSX engine. Isn't FSX's just a tweaked version of the engine introduced with FS2000?
Hmmm thats like saying, win7 is a tweaked ver of win95 ;)

spotlope
April 28th, 2010, 11:13

Yes. And humans are just tweaked versions of protozoa.

l3j3rm
April 29th, 2010, 01:59
Hello,

I've heard the same rumor a few weeks ago...

Bjoern
April 29th, 2010, 07:04

I bet my grandma that you can still find some W95 code in the W7 kernel.

RyanJames170
April 29th, 2010, 09:21

i would bet he is right there lol..

when ever NT came out is what windows 7 is more or less based from

RyanJames170
April 29th, 2010, 09:24
look at this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT)

Wozza
April 29th, 2010, 09:27
lol even DOS is still somewhere down there in the dark dark basement :)
Who remembers those famous words "Nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM!" -- Bill Gates, 1981
:D

n4gix
April 29th, 2010, 09:40
lol even DOS is still somewhere down there in the dark dark basement :)
Who remembers those famous words "Nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM!" -- Bill Gates, 1981
:D

Apparently Bill Gates has, since no one has ever been able to cite an authoritative source, and Bill himself denies ever having said any such thing... :)

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bill_Gates

640K ought to be enough for anybody.

Often attributed to Gates in 1981. Gates considered the IBM PC's 640kB program memory a significant breakthrough over 8-bit systems that were typically limited to 64kB, but he has denied making this remark. Also see the 1989 and 1993 remarks above.

<DL><DD><DL><DD>I've said some stupid things and some wrong things, but not that. No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time … I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again.

Gates (19 January 1996), "Career Opportunities in Computing—and More (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.folklore.computers/msg/99ce4b0555bf35f4)". Bloomberg Business News
</DD></DL></DD></DL>

tigisfat
April 29th, 2010, 09:47

well, clearly FSX's engine was a modern one capable of supporting and being supported by the technology at the time.:ernae:

Wozza
April 29th, 2010, 10:13
Apparently Bill Gates has, since no one has ever been able to cite an authoritative source, and Bill himself denies ever having said any such thing... :)

PMSL ...plausible deniablity.. Well I know I read an article in the mid 80's about someone saying it but wouldn't put money on who :)
In those days I was managing quite nicely on 64K, I still remember the cost of 1 meg sticks:icon_eek: You can buy an entry level pooter these days for the same $$$
Wozza

Bjoern
April 29th, 2010, 11:42
I've paid 500€ for my 8800GTS in 2006...nowadays you can get almost two HD5870s for the same amount of bucks.

The last bad time in terms of prices was the advent of the second gen dual cores in 2006.

Odie
April 29th, 2010, 13:19
My 1st PC specs:

Intel 386 DX 33 processor
8 meg of RAM
130 meg HD
2 floppy drives
Soundblaster Card
No Name Video card
MS Mouse
Keyboard
MS Dos 5.0

Some of the guys that introduced me to PCs were advising me on what to get, and I asked, "Is a 130 meg HD enough?"
"Don't worry," they says, "you'll NEVER fill that up!"

I remember running EMM386 to squeeze every bit of memory out of that 8 meg so that I could run the latest games....like Wolfenstein 3D, DOOM, A-10 Tank Killer, F-15 Strike Eagle III. Man, those were the days!!!