PDA

View Full Version : creature thought to be extinct found!! .....and promptly killed

tigisfat
April 28th, 2010, 08:02
They found two of a worm thought to be extinct 20 years ago. One was killed for DNA and taxonomy purposes. Sure I know why, but it's still kinda funny. I can't make this stuff up.

OBIO
April 28th, 2010, 08:16
That makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Finding 2 of a species thought to be extinct, then killing 50% of the known population of that species....leaving a single specimen of that species to die alone. Why not take the two to a nice cozy bed and breakfast someplace, put on some Barry White albums, light some candles, and give them a chance to make some more of their species. Then once there are more than 2 of this species, then one can be "sacrificed" for scientific purposes.

OBIO

Toastmaker
April 28th, 2010, 08:19
This is that "Spitting Earthworm", right? . . . Seems like a reasonable choice for extinction!

:running:

Bjoern
April 28th, 2010, 08:42
Humans...
"Hey, we don't know this one! Let's kill it!"
- "Heck yeah!!!"
*Pitchforks and torches*

:icon_lol:

kilo delta
April 28th, 2010, 09:03
Don't need 2 worms as they can reproduce alone...ie. they're asexual. ;)

tigisfat
April 28th, 2010, 09:14
Don't need 2 worms as they can reproduce alone...ie. they're asexual. ;)

All worms? Are you positive?

Snuffy
April 28th, 2010, 09:21

Last I knew from my science class ... yeah ... however the one they just killed probably wasn't.

kilo delta
April 28th, 2010, 09:23

Well I'm no gynaecologist....but I'll take a look if ya want? :d

Afaik all worms are hermaphrodites

tigisfat
April 28th, 2010, 09:25
Well I'm no gynaecologist....but I'll take a look if ya want? :d

check this out:

Worms usually have a cylindrical, flattened, or leaf-like body shape and are often without any true limbs or appendages. Instead, they may have bristles or fins that help them move. Many worms have sense organs that can detect environmental change. A few may even have light-sensing organs. Worms vary in size from less than 1 mm (0.04 inch) in certain aschelminths to more than 30 m (100 feet) in certain ribbon worms. Some worms reproduce sexually. Hermaphroditism, the condition in which a single individual possesses both male and female reproductive parts, is common in many groups of worms. Asexual reproduction, whereby new individuals develop from the body cells of another, also occurs in some worms. Worm species differ in their abilities to move about on their own. Many species have bodies with no major muscles, and cannot move on their own — they must be moved by forces or other animals in their environment. Many other species have bodies with major muscles and can move on their own; they are a type of muscular hydrostat. Many species of worms are decomposers; they break down dead plants and animals to return nutrients to the soil.

Let's hope these worms can reproduce asexually.

kilo delta
April 28th, 2010, 09:47
Here's a link to the full story.. http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ssf/2010/04/giant_palouse_earthworm_though.html

TARPSBird
April 28th, 2010, 10:16
That makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Finding 2 of a species thought to be extinct, then killing 50% of the known population of that species....leaving a single specimen of that species to die alone. Why not take the two to a nice cozy bed and breakfast someplace, put on some Barry White albums, light some candles, and give them a chance to make some more of their species. Then once there are more than 2 of this species, then one can be "sacrificed" for scientific purposes.
OBIO
Hehe, Obio, you're a funny guy!
(Cue restaurant scene from "Goodfellas" ;))

Clarke123
April 28th, 2010, 10:20
Hehe, Obio, you're a funny guy!
(Cue restaurant scene from "Goodfellas" ;))
:bump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW1oVdOxKko&feature=related

Willy
April 28th, 2010, 13:03
We had earthworms bigger than that on my family's farm in SW Arkansas. We used to dig them up for fishbait all the time.