PDA

View Full Version : Guys ....... I went flying today

JoeW
April 27th, 2010, 18:36
I got an invite to go up today from the owner of the Lake Placid Airport.
I can verify one thing ......... Precious Metal is in Lake Placid.
Thats me in the right seat. I ain't tellin how I did that!

jdhaenens
April 27th, 2010, 18:43
Whewwww! You had me worried, Joe. I thought you'd actually flown a simulated plane outside slew mode. Thank goodness you're all right! (Cool beans!)

:icon_lol:

NoNewMessages
April 27th, 2010, 19:24
When I saw the title of the thread I thought the same thing, Jim. Joe's not designing?

What a nice gesture on the part of the airport. Hope the flight went well and that the lunch stayed down...

harleyman
April 27th, 2010, 19:50
Man..You flew the right seat.......???

must have been nice.......:salute:

Kiwikat
April 27th, 2010, 20:04
Brings back memories from EAA 07... :\

Bomber_12th
April 27th, 2010, 20:19
Brings back memories from EAA 07... :\

...though not the same airplane of course.

Nice photos Joe, thanks for posting! I've always kind-of liked the beer-can exhaust covers/plugs for "Precious Metal" - it just so happens that they fit so nicely on the Mustang-exhaust stacks - I think I have seen another Reno air racer or two will similar covers.

JoeW
April 28th, 2010, 03:03
I got a call from a friend, John Allspaw, He said that someone wanted to meet me. We go have breakfast and Jim Hoekenga met with us. He's the owner of Placid Lakes Airport. He wanted to see my Florida GA Airports so we came back to my house. He wanted a copy so I copied the raw files to a CD and put them on his computer. This all took place about 2 months ago.
Yesterday Jim called and asked if I would like to go for a sunset cruise. That plane had to go to New york this morning and he wanted to check it out.
I walk into the hanger and there is Precious Metal beside the Piper we were going up in.
John knew of this before I did and we flew over John's house and he grabbed that shot. We were about 1200 feet when he took it. John's a camera buff too.
I really did enjoy it. Jim gets a copy of anything he wants. I'll even install it.
That's how it happened.

peter12213
April 28th, 2010, 03:35
...though not the same airplane of course.

Nice photos Joe, thanks for posting! I've always kind-of liked the beer-can exhaust covers/plugs for "Precious Metal" - it just so happens that they fit so nicely on the Mustang-exhaust stacks - I think I have seen another Reno air racer or two will similar covers.

Thats very cool I have never noticed the beer cans before lol, I wonder who drank them all lol!:salute:

JoeW
April 28th, 2010, 04:43
They are Pint can of Foster, bigger than the American beer cans.
By the way ....... If anyone wants a modified P-51, I understand that that ones for sale.
1 mil .................

Skittles
April 28th, 2010, 04:47
I'm confused. Some of you mention that you sat in the right seat, and that is somewhat surprising, but the commander always sits in the left!

Is it different where you are?

peter12213
April 28th, 2010, 05:13
They are Pint can of Foster, bigger than the American beer cans.
By the way ....... If anyone wants a modified P-51, I understand that that ones for sale.
1 mil .................

I'll have to check the old bank balance on that one Joe, anyone fancy chipping in??? LOL :salute:

Ken Stallings
April 28th, 2010, 15:42
That's outstanding. I'm sure you enjoyed yourself!

Cheers,

Ken

Navy Chief
April 28th, 2010, 16:44
Wow! What a thrill that must have been!

JoeW
April 29th, 2010, 16:17
Going thru my photo's today I found 2 that ya'll might like to see. One is Jerry Creed's Vimpire. It's a Plywood jet, I think from WW2. Paints pealing kinda bad.
The other is a shot of the panel in " Precious Metal"

peter12213
April 30th, 2010, 04:00
One is Jerry Creed's Vimpire. It's a Plywood jet, I think from WW2. Paints pealing kinda bad.
[QUOTE]
Yeah it first flew in 1945 too late to see any service during WW2 though, thats a nice one though, she's a gorgeous looking aircraft thats for sure!

stansdds
May 1st, 2010, 05:16
Glad that you got to go flying! Flying in general aviation aircraft is always a thrill, so different from being in a tubeliner.

JoeW
May 1st, 2010, 07:43
Thats not the first time in a GA. But it's the first time in a loooooooog while. About 20 years
Plus ..... I met the owner of Placid Lakes. When I did the Central Florida GA airports I went out there and promply got thrown out.
This my be something more ......... we'll see.

ryanbatc
May 1st, 2010, 09:33
When I did the Central Florida GA airports I went out there and promply got thrown out.

Gotta be kidding me! Unless it's a private airport most are owned by the city and you should be able to wander around.

stansdds
May 1st, 2010, 09:54
Gotta be kidding me! Unless it's a private airport most are owned by the city and you should be able to wander around.
To a certain degree. Post-September 11, 2001, I'm sure airport management is very curious about anyone who is hanging out, making notes, and taking pictures. These days I'm sure it is far better to talk with the management, let them know what you are doing and get their blessings. Of course, they can still say "no", then your recourse might be Google Earth.

ryanbatc
May 1st, 2010, 10:06
Oh, are we talking medium sized airports or small ones? lol I'm talking about the small 3000ft strips with hangars and planes. I recently went to one and wandered the field aimlessly, and talked to some nice pilots, no issues...