PDA

View Full Version : Rocket effects

jaycee
April 27th, 2010, 13:45
I have done a Type3 Mk27 Japanese Rocket-Bomb, Is it possible to modify rockets in cfs3, eg. to make them explode after a certain distance, and add some effects like this,

FOO FIGHTER
April 27th, 2010, 14:37
I know Dancat made a sort of "proximity fuse" for some of his X-4 rockets. I'm no G-MAXer but I think he added a large area to the front of the rocket model and made it invisible/transparent. Once fired, anything that came into contact with the area triggered an explosion/collision. It works pretty well, you just have to be carefull not to shoot too close to the ground or with other AC immediately in front of you.

HouseHobbit
April 27th, 2010, 15:23
WOW I like this alot..
Too Cool
Thanks for this..
Can't wait to try it out..

MajorMagee
April 27th, 2010, 16:23
Those look like White Phosphorous shells.

jaycee
April 28th, 2010, 00:40
I know Dancat made a sort of "proximity fuse" for some of his X-4 rockets. I'm no G-MAXer but I think he added a large area to the front of the rocket model and made it invisible/transparent. Once fired, anything that came into contact with the area triggered an explosion/collision. It works pretty well, you just have to be carefull not to shoot too close to the ground or with other AC immediately in front of you.

That sounds good FF. that was along the lines i was thinking,But i dont know how to make something transparent, And i think it would have to be a very large area,

jaycee
April 28th, 2010, 00:54
Those look like White Phosphorous shells.

I wanted to do Japanese air to air rockets, but on doing some research, as far as i can gather the Japanese only used two kinds of "rockets!!!" and the air to air "rockets!!!" were actually bombs with a rocket motor, used against the B29's and they were filled with Phosphorous, The other "rocket!!!" was used against ground targets and it was also a rocket/bomb but i cannot find any plans/photos of this one, I wonder if this is a rocket or a bomb LOL. its probably what it says on the tin a rocketbomb.

dancat
April 28th, 2010, 02:19
in gmax just add little square polys and set the transparency to 0, but that will cause shadows in the game.
or you can map them to an alpha dds.

O-1Driver
April 28th, 2010, 06:00
I have done a Type3 Mk27 Japanese Rocket-Bomb, Is it possible to modify rockets in cfs3, eg. to make them explode after a certain distance, and add some effects like this,

Jaycee,

The answer to your question is yes this can be done and you will see some of this type of stuff in the Fall PTO update.

The rockets and torpedoes in CFS 3 operate off two effects that default on every weapon of this type. If you go in and remove the default rocket and torpedo effect you are then free to make a new and different effect for each weapon that is unique to that armament. This is what we have done with the skip bombs and we are making new effects for the various size rockets.

Dependent on the fuel the rocket motors burned differently and left distinct smoke trails. Also the small rockets had a much smaller smoke trail than the large HVAR models. Flame color was also different in some cases.

To accomplish the effect you posted pictures of you will need to add a time explosion to the "track effect" that will explode after a preset time. If the rocket hits a target then the timed "miss" explosion will not occur, however if you miss then the rocket will pass by the target and explode as a self destructing shell would.

BTW we also have a large caliber self destructing cannon shell that does this and the rear gun in the Betty is armed with it. The shell will explode in the air similar to a flak shell if it misses the target.

All of this will be in the Fall PTO update we hope to get done.

Best Regards,

O-1

jaycee
April 28th, 2010, 08:12
Jaycee,

The answer to your question is yes this can be done and you will see some of this type of stuff in the Fall PTO update.

The rockets and torpedoes in CFS 3 operate off two effects that default on every weapon of this type. If you go in and remove the default rocket and torpedo effect you are then free to make a new and different effect for each weapon that is unique to that armament. This is what we have done with the skip bombs and we are making new effects for the various size rockets.

Dependent on the fuel the rocket motors burned differently and left distinct smoke trails. Also the small rockets had a much smaller smoke trail than the large HVAR models. Flame color was also different in some cases.

To accomplish the effect you posted pictures of you will need to add a time explosion to the "track effect" that will explode after a preset time. If the rocket hits a target then the timed "miss" explosion will not occur, however if you miss then the rocket will pass by the target and explode as a self destructing shell would.

BTW we also have a large caliber self destructing cannon shell that does this and the rear gun in the Betty is armed with it. The shell will explode in the air similar to a flak shell if it misses the target.

All of this will be in the Fall PTO update we hope to get done.

Best Regards,

O-1

Nice one O-1, I will look into this, although on first impressions i think its way over my head, but i will have a bash any way, thanks very much for the heads up.

ndicki
April 28th, 2010, 11:22
Blimey, this is going to be good... I tried and tried to fit FlaK-type guns to aircraft, with no success...

jaycee
April 28th, 2010, 13:27
Blimey, this is going to be good... I tried and tried to fit FlaK-type guns to aircraft, with no success...

Yeh the guys are fantastic, at one time "its no that cant be done" then a couple of months down the line, "yes that can be done" to the people who spend countless hours tweaking cfs3 for us i cant thank you enough,