PDA

View Full Version : True inspiration

tigisfat
April 26th, 2010, 21:04
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/summer/track/2010-04-25-amputee-runner_N.htm?se=yahoorefer

I admire the feats of the disabled, but for years the 'guilt' and 'PC' police made people of varying disabilities heroes for anything. That in itself is not bad, but I always felt like it was patronizing and belittling to celebrate (fictional example) someone unfortunate enough to have lost an eye that still goes fishing. We saw a lot of that in the 80's and 90's when the world was trying too hard to overcome many forms of injustice. As someone who grew up around a stepmother that owned homes for the developmentally disabled, I knew that if something were to happen to me, I wouldn't want anyone to make a HUGE deal out of my minor accomplishments. That in and of itself would make me feel like an invalid. I've known more than a few Soldiers and Airmen who've given a lot in the line of duty, and never wanted to be pitied.

I give you this remarkable Woman. This woman has outran many with no disabilities at all. To me, that is true inspiration. Here is someone with a huge setback achieving huge things that are directly and negatively affected by said setback. Just when I think that the American spirit is gone, along comes someone like this to remind me to keep working hard.