PDA

View Full Version : cleaning the sensors...

redriver6
April 26th, 2010, 16:08
so has anyone ever done this on their digital slr?? i found the procedure for the istdl in the manual...but i'm skeerd:eek:

Moparmike
April 26th, 2010, 17:08
Yep,

I just finished cleaning mine again. It had been getting pretty nasty because of all the gravel roads but the worst stuff inside mine is the carpet fuzzies from in my apartment. Still have a few threads stuck to the flocking in the mirror box that I need to tweezer out since the vacuum isn't pulling them free. Luckily they're no where near the sensor.

To vacuum the dust out, I've got a small electronics vac that I used to use in the shop for working on camcorders. Just be VERY careful you don't scrape the sensor with the tip of the vacuum hose!
After I've got as much loose stuff as possible gone I'll swab the sensor if needed.
I use the Green Clean brand Wet & Dry swab kits since that's what's available locally.
http://www.green-clean.at/en/camera/sensor-cleaning-system/

Some guys I know just use a rocket blower to get the loose stuff out, and if I'm out in the field and get attacked by dust I will too...I prefer the vacuum if it's handy though.
I have a fair amount of dust up in my viewfinder already that most likely got up in there from outside the camera, but it's also possible that the blower pushed some of it up from the mirror box area too.

Basically, start out with steady hands and the cleanest room in your house...
Dig through the menu and turn on the sensor cleaning mode. Pull the lens and start with either the blower or vacuum to get as much loose stuff as you can. If there's anything stuck to the sensor crack open a swab kit and follow the instructions. Once it looks okay, button it back up and take some test shots of a smooth white surface with the smallest aperture you've got. If the dust bunnies are gone, you're done...if there are a few stragglers, try again.
And remember that dust on the upper part of the shot means it's on the lower part of the sensor. Don't ask me why I had to throw that reminder out. Let's just say that I needed twice as many swab kits as I should've...more than once! :redf:

The *istD_ cameras are worse about getting stuff stuck to the sensor than the newer Pentaxes...apparently the newer ones have a different coating on em that is not quite as prone to static as the older ones.

Moparmike
April 26th, 2010, 17:09
And if you really want to get scared...

I've got an exploded parts diagram of the DL in PDF format that will blow your mind.
It sure isn't like an old K1000 inside there!!! :d

redriver6
April 26th, 2010, 19:36
And if you really want to get scared...

I've got an exploded parts diagram of the DL in PDF format that will blow your mind.
It sure isn't like an old K1000 inside there!!! :d

nah..thats ok...ignorance is bliss:jump:

thanks for the tips on cleaning...i guess i'll just have to work up the courage to try it..the manual just says to use one of those squeeze brush things...without the brush..

Moparmike
April 26th, 2010, 22:06
Yup, if your rocket blower is the one with a lens brush on the end, don't use the brush on the sensor. Not that the hair will damage the surface, but any dust lodged in the bristles might damage it.

My blower doesn't have a brush on it...I've got a separate brush that is used only for lenses, nothing inside the camera. The only thing I really have to worry with my blower is bumping the plastic snout of the blower against the sensor.

Another tip:
Hold the camera with the lens opening downward when blowing the dust out. The theory is that if you knock some dust loose, gravity will carry it down and out instead of it settling back onto the surface. I dunno...makes sense to me though.

Chacha
April 27th, 2010, 05:35
Is there a shop/store/geeks that do this for you?

Or a hair blower is good enough to clean the lens

Moparmike
April 27th, 2010, 06:30
Most camera shops should offer the cleaning service.

I know my local Ritz does...anywhere from $50-75 was quoted to me "depending on how dirty it is inside". That answer just didn't sit well with me...or maybe it was just the way the counter person said it. His tone inferred full well that it was going to be $75 regardless of how dirty it actually was inside.
I'd feel more comfortable asking the same question at a "real" camera shop though...my apologies to Ritz/Wolf but the staff at my local store has failed to impress me too many times.

To clean your lenses, you can use a hair/blower or blower with a lens pen with few fears. Lens coatings are much tougher than the sensor surface.

Just don't blindly attack the lens with a Kleenex. :D I found a really nice old 135mm tele in a pawn shop a while back that looked like it had been cleaned daily with either a tissue or a dusty T-shirt tail. Had all sorts of fine scratches on it and the coating was actually worn off right in the center of the front lens element. OUCH!

Ferry_vO
April 27th, 2010, 10:58
I have a guy with a clean room that does it for me. Costs me about $50-60 each time, but once a year is enough for me. He has 'before & after' examples that will stop you from ever attempting it yourself again; most attempts will only make it worse! Fluids that leaked underneath the filter that's protecting the sensor, finferprints on the sensor, cracks in the glass, glue (!) residue from people that tried to pull off dust particles with a piece of tape...

At this page you can see a 'before & after' of a canon 400D: http://www.chipclean.nl/content/view/22/lang,nl/

The top blue image (Click to enlarge) is before, the second one is after cleaning.

BTW You know those battery powered butterfly brushes..? You get 'great' effects on your sensor if you only once touch those hairs to feel just how soft they are.. The grease from your skin is smeared directly onto your sensor once you start cleaning. Gives a nice swirling effect on all your photos..

Moparmike
April 27th, 2010, 14:07
The one that really got my attention was this Canon 350D
http://www.chipclean.nl/component/option,com_easygallery/act,categories/cid,17/Itemid,36/lang,en/

Wow! What did the owner try cleaning it with before he brought it in?
(I hope that wasn't yours Ferry! :d)

redriver6
April 27th, 2010, 17:02
maybe i'll just live with the spots and clone tool in PS:isadizzy:

Moparmike
April 28th, 2010, 05:33
If ya don't feel comfortable doing the job, then that's probably a good plan...or plan to shell out a bit of cash to have it done at a shop.

I'm used to digging around in small stuff...don't get to do as much as I used to back when I ran my electronics shop so I don't mind attacking my cameras when they need attention. My noisy autofocus motor does scare me a bit though...plus I'm kinda saving that as an excuse to upgrade too. :)

Henry
April 28th, 2010, 05:43
we used to do it
for $20.00
but there is no one here i would trust anymore
all we did was pull a kit out and use it
i would not trust myself to do it though
fine untill you mess up then 1 unhappy customer
H

lifejogger
April 28th, 2010, 07:28
so has anyone ever done this on their digital slr?? i found the procedure for the istdl in the manual...but i'm skeerd:eek:

This has been an informative thread in that I had no idea you needed to clean the sensors? Does this only apply to a SLR digital camera?

redriver6
April 28th, 2010, 07:33
This has been an informative thread in that I had no idea you needed to clean the sensors? Does this only apply to a SLR digital camera?

as far as i know 'yes' since non digital SLRs are sealed...the problem apparently comes from changing the lenses on slr's....btw i didn't realize there was such a big problem with dust on the sensors either but it seems like everytime i change the lens now i get a new dust spot in my photos...i used to have just one spot...now i got three...i think if i ever get the durned thing cleaned i'm gonna put one lens on it and leave it on:mad:

Henry
April 28th, 2010, 08:19
Olympus cameras have a self clean deal
the sensor shakes when you turn it in
digital cameras in general the sensors do not move
but a film camera the film moves to the next frame
it is annoying to have spots normally you can see them in sky areas
RR6 just check at best buy and get a kit
they do work
H

redriver6
April 28th, 2010, 10:15
Olympus cameras have a self clean deal
the sensor shakes when you turn it in
digital cameras in general the sensors do not move
but a film camera the film moves to the next frame
it is annoying to have spots normally you can see them in sky areas
RR6 just check at best buy and get a kit
they do work
H

alrighty then....thanks for all the advice youz guys...i let ya know how it turns out.

kilo delta
April 28th, 2010, 10:24
I'd try the Rocket blower first. I swear by it...i've never had to do a sensor clean yet (dry or wet) and I'm forever swapping lenses. I don't even bother with the in camera sensor shake thingmy-bob on the D300. Only place my camera seem to get dusty is in the viewfinder and the rocket usually sorts that out.

redriver6
April 28th, 2010, 10:51
yeah thats probly the best thing to do first...thats what the manual says anyway..

kilo delta
April 28th, 2010, 11:23
Yep...though unlike the manual I'd have the lens opening facing down so that the dust can fall out of the camera, rather than just redistributing it within the cam :)

Panther_99FS
April 30th, 2010, 23:08
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/66393-question-about-pentax-sensor-cleaning-kit-o-ick1.html

arl
May 1st, 2010, 07:13
I've occasionally had problems with the sensor on my DS, and seemed to just spread them round with the Sensor Swab! No doubt my cack-handed use of the swabs.

The Dust-aid on the other hand has been great for my level of finesse, and I would definitely recommend it as a second stage after a rocket blower.

Just noticed that I'm down to the last sticky for my Dust-aid, so hope the seals in my shiny new K-7 do the trick for my trip to Phoenix and points north and west on Tuesday. :jump:

SWMBO wants to see the Grand Canyon and I want to go to Yosemite, still not sure how we ended up starting at Phoenix.

roger-wilco-66
May 7th, 2010, 01:53
I send my Pentax K10D to Pentax once a year for appr. $45 / 30 Euros. They clean it and also check calibrations and stuff. They once even changed a dinged small plastic lid without charge. I think that's worth it.
I must say that this is a very robust camera. I never really had dirt problems with it, despite it's use as a true outdoor camera, which has been exposed to tropical environments, rain, dirt and even salt water ( I once got into a tropical thunderstorm on sea off the coast of Borneo with it. I rinsed it afterwards in the shower, with the lens on of course. OK.).

Cheers,
Mark