PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Hawkings says:

Snuffy
April 26th, 2010, 09:31
E.T. Don't bother calling ... ooooh dangerous aliens.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-science/20100425/EU.Britain.Dangerous.Aliens/

Quixoticish
April 26th, 2010, 09:55
Mr Hawking isn't exactly qualified to comment in any "official" capacity, the last time I checked he was a theoretical physicist and not a xeno-anthropologist.

stuartcox
April 26th, 2010, 09:56
E.T. Don't bother calling ... ooooh dangerous aliens.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-science/20100425/EU.Britain.Dangerous.Aliens/

They are already here, with silly names like "Andrew Lloyd-Webber"!:jump:

Snuffy
April 26th, 2010, 09:57
Mr Hawking isn't exactly qualified to comment in any "official" capacity, the last time I checked he was a theoretical physicist and not a xeno-anthropologist.

Well obviously he didn't think so ... cuz he said something ... :icon_lol:

jmig
April 26th, 2010, 10:30

Since when being qualified has been a requirement for making "qualified" statements on anything?

Jeez, Chris how long have you been a member here? I would think by know, looking at all the "qualified" statements we make at SOH, would have prepared you for Dr. Hawking.

BTW - I AM teasing!

stuartcox
April 26th, 2010, 10:45
Well obviously he didn't think so ... cuz he said something ... :icon_lol:

I've never heard Stephen Hawking say anything!...There could be a clue? He is to intelligent to be human.

Bjoern
April 26th, 2010, 10:54
He speculates most extraterrestrial life will be similar to microbes, or small animals — but adds advanced lifeforms may be "nomads, looking to conquer and colonize."

That doesn't make them any different to humans.

I say game's on. Take the good planets while they're still up for grab.

Lionheart
April 26th, 2010, 11:10

I wont comment....

I agree with Hawkings...

Bill

cheezyflier
April 26th, 2010, 11:57
the irony would be.....inescapable, wouldn't it? :icon_lol:

Snuffy
April 26th, 2010, 12:00
I've never heard Stephen Hawking say anything!...There could be a clue? He is to intelligent to be human.

Alright you got me there .... he didn't actually say anything, he synthesized it ... ;)

Quixoticish
April 26th, 2010, 12:34
Since when being qualified has been a requirement for making "qualified" statements on anything?

Jeez, Chris how long have you been a member here? I would think by know, looking at all the "qualified" statements we make at SOH, would have prepared you for Dr. Hawking.

BTW - I AM teasing!

Because by that token they might as well ask you, me, my baby cousin, or anyone else for that matter because apparently that would be newsworthy.

Admittedly my gripe is with the media really; what irks me is that it is being presented as though it has some sort of stamp of official recognition that we should all pay attention to and accept it because of who it is.

And the sad thing is many people will as well.

I also imagine they've cherry picked a few ramblings from an otherwise rather interesting conversation, but isn't that always the way with the media?

pilottj
April 26th, 2010, 13:55
I agree that they probably cherry picked this snipet from him out of the greater context of what he was talking about. It would be very interesting to have an intellectual converstation with him about this subject.

Would aliens that come be out for our resources?...I guess the bright side is we wouldn't have much left for them to take. Would the aliens be salesmen, sell us things that we don't need, or things that would cause our mutual distruction, leaving the planet wide open for them...I am reminded of a Deep Space 9 Episode of the Ferengi travelling to 1947 Roswell and trying to sell things to paranoid humans of the time. Have the aliens simply decided to not bother with us because we are not 'evolved' enough? Were they involved with civilzations in our past such as with the Egyptians, and the Mayans? Was there an interstellar conflict of one species involving themselves in our affairs, then another trying to stop them?...ala the prime directive. Simply discusing the possibilities of these things is facinating, not wether they happened or not.

Cheers
TJ

HouseHobbit
April 26th, 2010, 13:57
Hey.. my little green friends are Cool I don't see what the fuss is about..

Yea.. they like poking me and stuff, and they do seem to be taken by my toothpaste tubes, and so they glow in the dark..
No one is perfect..I support all alliens, that don't try to eat me..
that includes the Mexicans, and Arab types too..
As long as they don't try and eat me, Or blow things up..
No Problems..
Anyway they seem to like my computer, and keep trying to call home on it..
But since I don't have "magic jack", it is hard for them to get a call through..

As I do honor and respect Mr. Hawkings, But I think that perhaps
he maybe mistaken..

Great Now the Green guys are trying to eat my Cat, Got to deal with this..
LOL..

jmig
April 26th, 2010, 14:01
Because by that token they might as well ask you, me, my baby cousin, or anyone else for that matter because apparently that would be newsworthy.

Admittedly my gripe is with the media really; what irks me is that it is being presented as though it has some sort of stamp of official recognition that we should all pay attention to and accept it because of who it is.

And the sad thing is many people will as well.

I also imagine they've cherry picked a few ramblings from an otherwise rather interesting conversation, but isn't that always the way with the media?

In spite of teasing, I agree with you Chris. I have seen time and time again when some one who is quite famous and accomplished in one area is given "star" status in another area of knowledge. Even if the individual has little or no knowledge in the area.

However as for Dr. Hawking. What he said is merely common sense and understandable.

tigisfat
April 26th, 2010, 14:04
In spite of teasing, I agree with you Chris. I have seen time and time again when some one who is quite famous and accomplished in one area is given "star" status in another area of knowledge. Even if the individual has little or no knowledge in the area.

However as for Dr. Hawking. What he said is merely common sense and understandable.

Who is qualified to talk about aliens?

I'll bet it's the guy who knows a LOT about outer space, Dr. Hawkings. Why cut him down?

N2056
April 26th, 2010, 16:31
Hmm....

I think the guy makes a good point overall. You wanna play the odds with the universe? I doubt that in the big picture we are kings of the hill. ;)

Bjoern
April 26th, 2010, 16:41
I doubt that in the big picture we are kings of the hill. ;)

According to the Mass Effect universe, our wee species cemented its place in the universe by firepower and a good battle spirit.

So I guess this means we should be looking into those space frigates battlecruisers sooner than later. :d

Kofschip
April 26th, 2010, 16:56
Could it be, just could it be that Dr Hawkings is an alien????????????

KOM.Nausicaa
April 26th, 2010, 17:33
Mr.Hawking is not qualified? That is a good joke - I ignored people had been on exo planets and studied xenomorphs. Can I have their phone number ?

PRB
April 26th, 2010, 17:49
What, exactly, do you have to be "qualified" in to imagine that alien life, if out there, may be un-friendly, and more powerful than us? Besides, Hawking, and many others, said that 20 years ago. News travels slow in some parts.

Ken Stallings
April 26th, 2010, 20:01

Hawkings is a smart man. But, I take the claims he's the smartest man in the world with a grain of sand.

I think a lot of theoretical physics today is voodoo science. Yes, some of it can be backed up with measurements of various forms in space and on the earth. But, some of it is really pure speculation.

I think the odds are highly in the favor of sensient life existing on other planets. I think the odds are also highly in favor that many have explored space. Whether that means such a civilization can zip by and say hello to us is entirely unlikely. The very vastness of space that makes the odds high is also the reason why relative proximity isn't likely.

Ken

MyassisDragon
April 26th, 2010, 22:20
Hawkins has a very valid point. I'm sure the American Indian tribes and South American Indian Empires who first encountered the Europeans might agree with him.

jmig
April 27th, 2010, 03:45

I think a lot of theoretical physics today is voodoo science. Yes, some of it can be backed up with measurements of various forms in space and on the earth. But, some of it is really pure speculation.

Ken

I must quibble with you here, Ken. to say that theoretical physics is voodoo science is like saying, Aristotle's physics and Hippocrates' medicine are voodoo sciences. While they were both wrong on a lot of things, their speculation was based on the knowledge base of their time. They extended that base greatly. Both are considered the father of their fields.

Modern theoretical physics is just what the name implies. It is theoretical. It is suppose to be speculative. People like Steven Hawkins construct in their minds ideas that are then subjected to analysis and experimentation by others. The problem with their ideas is that we can not prove them by experimentation, so they forever remain theories. Parts of Einstein's theory of relativity are yet unproven. Yet, no one would consider him to be a voodoo scientist.

Theoretical physics is a,so based on mathematics. Mathematics is a language designed to solve such questions. Like all languages, it has ambiguities and is subject to different analysis or ways of expressing terms and concepts. We mere human intellects are also hampered by our lack of understanding of higher mathematics. It is impossible in some instances to explain in a spoken language what can be explained in mathematics. Thus we are left with primitive images that only confuse us.

cheezyflier
April 27th, 2010, 06:16
Theoretical physics is a,so based on mathematics. Mathematics is a language designed to solve such questions. Like all languages, it has ambiguities and is subject to different analysis or ways of expressing terms and concepts. We mere human intellects are also hampered by our lack of understanding of higher mathematics. It is impossible in some instances to explain in a spoken language what can be explained in mathematics. Thus we are left with primitive images that only confuse us.

and there in lies the rub. we are all taught that "numbers don't lie"
in reality, sometimes they do. many scientists and doctors pontificate and give the illusion that they are privy to knowledge the common man either doesn't have, or couldn't understand if he did. the same trick pulled by rome with the bible. it didn't work then either. in my mind, i'm not worried about whether aliens are hostile or friendly. until i meet one it's a moot point. and when that happens, i'll know. you can't prepare for a scenario completely made of unknowns.

Snuffy
April 27th, 2010, 06:23
and there in lies the rub. we are all taught that "numbers don't lie"
in reality, sometimes they do. ....

I can confirm this statement based on the actions and operations of my employer ... :mixedsmi:

In the mean time, any supposition of life existing outside of this sphere is all theoretical and can or should be considered as non existent until irrefutably proved otherwise.

(And if that takes something like Mars Attacks to prove it then that's what it takes ... )

dharris
April 27th, 2010, 08:16
Of course there are aliens! Just go to Washington DC and look around, you will see them, intelligent aliens of course is another matter!