PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Science of Sleep ...

Snuffy
April 26th, 2010, 04:47
I found this interesting.

The Science of Sleep<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
What does your sleeping position say about you? Professor Idzikowski of the UK Sleep Assessment and Advisory Service linked common sleeping positions to particular personality types. Where do you fit in? <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
1. Fetus Position<o:p></o:p>
Those who curl up in the fetal position are described as tough on the outside, but sensitive on the inside. They may be shy when first meeting someone, but soon relax. According to the survey this was the most common sleeping position. More than twice as many women as men tend to sleep this way<o:p></o:p>
2. Yearner Position<o:p></o:p>
People who sleep on their side with both arms out in front are said to be open-minded, but can be suspicious and cynical. They are slow to make up their minds, but once they have made a decision they are unlikely to change. <o:p></o:p>
3. Soldier Position<o:p></o:p>
Lying on your back with both arms pinned to your sides. People who sleep in this position are generally quiet and reserved. They don’t like a fuss, but set themselves and others at high standards<o:p></o:p>
4. Freefall position<o:p></o:p>
Lying on your front with your hands around the pillow, and your head turned to one side. Often gregarious and brash people adopt this position. Freefall sleepers are also know to be nervy and thin-skinned underneath, and don’t like criticism or extreme situations. This sleeping position is said to be good for digestion. The freefall position could also lead to snoring. <o:p></o:p>
5. Starfish Position<o:p></o:p>
Lying on your back with both arms around the pillow. These sleepers make good friends because they are ready to listen to others, and offer help when needed. They generally don’t like to be the center of attention. Sleepers be warned: the starfish position could lead to snoring and a bad night’s sleep.<o:p></o:p>
6. Log Position<o:p></o:p>
Lying on your side with both arms down by your side. These sleepers are easy going, social people who like being part of the in-crowd, and who are trusting of strangers. However these sleepers may be gullible.<o:p></o:p>
Relationships and Sleeping Positions<o:p></o:p>
So now we know about personal sleeping traits, but what does the position you sleep with your partner say about your relationship? <o:p></o:p>
1. Spooning<o:p></o:p>
Spooning is partners touching while laying on the sides facing the same direction. This position is common in the beginning of relationships. It can show lust and the need to be near someone. <o:p></o:p>
2. Snuggled Up<o:p></o:p>
One partner is sprawled on their back with the other partner up against them is considered snuggling up. This position indicates craving attention or a domination submissive relationship. This position can also indicate one partner offering comfort and safety to another during a tough time.<o:p></o:p>
3. Freeze Maneuver<o:p></o:p>
The freeze has each partner with their back to each other, pulled over to separate sides of the bed. This position shows anger and distance within the relationship. <o:p></o:p>
4. Umbilicus Position<o:p></o:p>
Umbilicus is a sort of separated spoon with one partner reaching over to lay hands on the other. This is a sign of a partner yearning for security.<o:p></o:p>
5. Bridge Position<o:p></o:p>
The bridge position has the domineering partner placing a leg over the body of the sleeping partner. <o:p></o:p>
(Article link {comes with pictures}: http://www.comcast.net/slideshow/news-sleeppositions/1/ )

Toastmaker
April 26th, 2010, 05:39
I knew a guy who was such a "dunderhead' that he could fall asleep standing up. I guess that would be called the 'Post" position. . . as in "dumb as a -".

:running:

cheezyflier
April 26th, 2010, 06:57
i use all of those :sleep:

Bjoern
April 26th, 2010, 10:36
3. Soldier Position<o:p></o:p>
Lying on your back with both arms pinned to your sides. People who sleep in this position are generally quiet and reserved. They don’t like a fuss, but set themselves and others at high standards<o:p></o:p>
6. Log Position<o:p></o:p>
Lying on your side with both arms down by your side. These sleepers are easy going, social people who like being part of the in-crowd, and who are trusting of strangers. However these sleepers may be gullible.<o:p></o:p>

Mostly those, sometimes the rest form the list.

3. Freeze Maneuver<o:p></o:p>
The freeze has each partner with their back to each other, pulled over to separate sides of the bed. This position shows anger and distance within the relationship. <o:p></o:p>

That.

Snuggling and spooning is too uncomfortable if done for the whole night. Sleeping face-to-face is a no-go as well since I don't like being breathed at.

A beautiful back is nice to look at as well. ;)

tigisfat
April 26th, 2010, 10:44
These have gotta be fictional. I keep reading these as same ones as jokes, but apparently this one takes itself seriously.

I've never heard of or seen anyone lay on their side with heir arms straight down. In fact, I'd like to see someone try it. It sounds impossible. 'The Yearner' sounds made up too. I'd like to see someone try to sleep like the illustration of this one.

Willy
April 26th, 2010, 10:49
I tend to sleep in different positions during the night. Must be moody.