PDA

View Full Version : More ORI's, tougher!

Ken Stallings
April 25th, 2010, 16:10
The USAF is promising to conduct Operational Readiness Inspections (ORI's) more frequently and make the grading tougher.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2010/04/airforce_inspections_042510w/

This sounds noble, and I would agree that for a unit which hasn't been in combat recently it is vital to measure the operational skills before they deploy.

However, to offer a countering view for balance sake, all of my previous squadrons in AFSOC have pretty much been in a constant state of war operations since late 2001. When I participated in ORI's during the Cold War, it was designed to measure your ability to perform a war time mission that you knew you were assigned to perform if the "balloon" went up. Moreover, you conducted peacetime training to prepare to execute that mission.

It made perfect sense.

However, contrast that situation with what is being faced today. Since 2001 we have been in a constant state of war. There is nothing cold about it. Further, some units have literally been at war execution for continuous years. My squadron before I retired has without an ounce of exaggeration been at war operations every single day for every single year for nearly six years!

I will say that again because at first glance it sounds preposterous. But, it is true. My previous squadron stood up in fall of 2005. Since then, it hasn't gone a single day without flying multiple combat sorties! Further, the entire squadron was flying those combat missions.

Shortly before my retirement, I was sitting in on a command-level discussion. The theme of that discussion was how would the squadron support an ORI without it destracting us from our daily combat missions!

Think about that for a moment! You talk about bizzare reasoning!

Part of an ORI is to measure your ability to support your war sorties with on time launches. Well, my previous squadron has an already measured record over 5.5 years of over 11,000 combat sorties, each of them having a fixed time for takeoff. Each sortie being scheduled for 22 hours! That's well over 250,000 combat hours flown by a single squadron!

The discussion we had came down to how can we ensure these inspectors all have the required security clearances to even sit in on the missions. And, what happens if something happens they don't like! We cannot cancel the sortie. It's actual combat!

Furthermore, what does one do if the inspectors decree that the squadron is failing? Do they take us out of combat? If so, it would be the first days my former squadron went without combat in nearly six years! When we have a plane crash in combat, we didn't even stand down for a safety day. We had a replacement aircraft readied within two hours and had to use a spare cockpit to support it. Our only concern was to ready the standby alert crew to replace the normal crew that had to report to the flight surgeon for required post accident blood and urine tests!

Again, how do you give an ORI to a unit on such an operational footing?

For people who find what I just described a bit bizzare, then I sympathize with your plight. I lived it for every single one of those days and yet looking back on it I find it bizzare as I type the description. Want another idea? In those nearly six years, I took only three total weeks of leave! That's why I had over 100 days of accumulated leave and even though I took 90 of them as terminal, I still have more left that the USAF will simply pay me for in my final active duty check!

Personally, from the time the unit's flag stood up on 11 September 2005 (yes, we deliberately selected that day to stand up my former squadron) until I retired on 30 April 2010 (yes, not yet here), I was the aircraft commander for 1,138 combat sorties for 2,516 combat hours. This captured 654 terrorists, including 62 commanders. I went on terminal leave on 1 February 2010, and my last sortie was flown on the third week of January 2010. This doesn't include the hours and sorties I flew for a previous two units while in AFSOC. I think that would bring the tally up to around 3,200 combat hours over 1,700 combat sorties. In case you wish to know, I consider my combat record in my former unit to be average given my seniority in the squadron!

I respectfully submit to the senior leadership of the USAF, that neither I nor my comrades in my current squadron need to have their operational readiness measured!

Cheers,

Ken

Panther_99FS
April 25th, 2010, 16:11
Tell me about it! - At least I'm at NAF level....:d

tigisfat
April 26th, 2010, 00:58
This is a tough one. A unit must be measured and held accountable for it's ability to wage war, there is no doubt. The concept of the ORI is solid and without argument. The way we go about it now and the things I've seen have shocked me though. This is coming from a self-proclaimed ORI hero. I considered it one of my sacred duties as a seven-level crew chief to absolutely lay ORIs to waste and set records in the progress. I was good too, last year I produced one of the only zero-defect bombers in ACC history-multiple times. When it comes down to it, it's simple. If you have 9 years in, you should be able to follow all the rules at any given time.

First and foremost, why are we performing ORIs on units in combat? There should be a different yardstick by which to measure a unit than what we have if said unit is one in action. An ORI should never delay a deployment, as I've seen before.

Second, ORIs have changed in nature. The 2009 team doing ACC bases was flat out non-constructive and clearly only wanted to arrive like VIPs and then burn houses down. I saw bases and read outbriefs that shocked me; entire wings were failed for trivial issues having nothing to do with safety, performance or effectiveness. We need other ways to measure how clean and tidy an airplane can and should be, an ORI should be an....here it comes....OPERATIONAL READINESS inspection.

Third, ORI inspectors no longer actually gauge how maintenance is performed. When the clock is ticking down on your generation times, they want to stop you for 15 minutes and interview you. It absolutely kills your ability to work if you're giving tours and shaking hands. I don't wanna tell anyone how fast a B-1 can go if I have an hour left. Sure, they may ask a few relevant questions, but I don't want to be their buddy. The 2009 ACC ORI team had 1 B-1 guy, and during his time on B-1s he rode a desk. Those inspectors had no idea what I was doing, and asked rediculous questions about things that a B-1 inspector would've left me alone about. Asking the how and why about my every move should be fair game, but a knowledgeable inspector would know what I was doing right and wrong and ask 'trap' questions instead of literally constantly asking me.

Fourth, why do the inspections rely so heavily on maintenance? The base's main inspection, if a bomber base, should be to drop bombs. We have multiple maintenance-only inspections just like ORIs already. We can fix aircraft, but we can't stop them from breaking(to a point, long term fleet health is manageable). The rules don't accomodate such. If the USAF-wide MC rate for a weapons system is (fictional, here) 50 percent and the aircraft is designed for 24 hour turnaround, why do we need four out of six aircraft MC in less than four hours? The rules are antiquated.

Fifth, Integrity. In 2008, Dyess recieved a basewide marginal because an inspector broke a piece of a latch off while opening a pressure hatch. He found it a minute later and failed the aircraft. The evidence was solidly in my favor, the compartmental latch still showed a closed status at the time of turnover to the IG. The IG didn't back down when challenged in the appropriate forum; I knew better than to argue it on the spot.

My suggestions? The Wing commander gets advance warning, and is only told the month that the ORI will take place. He or She will still have no idea what's going to happen. No more scripted ORIs to get taken out of context by anyone. You shouldn't be able to practice having an ORI (ORE) you should only maintain a high level of readiness as a unit. Each ORI should be an individual and unique scenario as approved by senior-senior leadership. Here's an example: The IG team lands at a base in a chartered 737. On their way in, the command post recieved their ORI instructions. It would be applicable to each kind of wing and their primary mission. If it's a bomb wing, then they might have 18 hours to strike a given target in a certain way. The scenario should be closely linked to current events to prove that the members developing tactics and planning missions are staying spry at the base. As soon as the IG team lands, they hit the ground running and immediately start inspecting the safety and surety of all operations.

Harder? Possibly. Oh well. To stay the world's most powerful Air Force for another 60 years, we have to evolve and stay on top of things. It's time for the ORI system to evolve into something modern and challenging. It's a creaking dinosaur that can no longer gauge a unit's ability to wage war. It's a good thing we have 100 other kinds of inspections to keep us sharp...:icon_lol:

jmig
April 26th, 2010, 03:37
I flew in a few ORI's in my day. My biggest memory of then was how the "Old Man" went totally nuts during them. :) I remember being chewed out for having my feet on a coffee table, while picking through my flight lunch at 05:30, after retuning from a mission. Talk about "pissants". I am sure my feet on the coffee table somehow affected the mission negatively.

Ken, to play devil's advocate with you for a bit. As I remembe, an ORI's design was to put war like pressure and conditions on the unit. In the case of an unit like yours could it not be to insure proper procedures and still being followed, even in combat?

I can see where cutting something short one time in order to achieve the mission goals can eventually lead to sloppiness. As a pilot, you know that in times of emergency or high stress you may quickly follow a checklist by memory. However, the wise pilot then later goes back and reads the actual checklist to make sure nothing was missed. Pilots who get into the habit of doing the checklist from memory, will eventually get into trouble. I would think a combat unit could be the same.

Just my thoughts.

Panther_99FS
April 26th, 2010, 04:15
First and foremost, why are we performing ORIs on units in combat?

For the same reason why a pilot still has to be current in night landings even if he/she flies a night mission for every flight while in combat

I.E., why we have Stan/Eval :)

Now what's more stressing, the ORI or the NSI :ques:

tigisfat
April 26th, 2010, 10:29
As a pilot, you know that in times of emergency or high stress you may quickly follow a checklist by memory. However, the wise pilot then later goes back and reads the actual checklist to make sure nothing was missed. Pilots who get into the habit of doing the checklist from memory, will eventually get into trouble. I would think a combat unit could be the same.

Absolutely, but should a real world combat mission be sacrificed just to perform an ORE/ORI?

For the same reason why a pilot still has to be current in night landings even if he/she flies a night mission for every flight while in combat

I.E., why we have Stan/EvalMaintaining one's currencies pertinent to specific operations is a lot more casual and able to be done in stride than and ORE or ORI, especially when in theatre flyin' like it's goin' outta style.

Now what's more stressing, the ORI or the NSI? That all depends on who you're asking. Apparently, NSIs are something to take casually up at Minot. :icon_lol::mixedsmi: I'm sorry Panther, I couldn't resist. Trust me, I felt the squeeze and fallout in the immediate and long lasting wake of that one...

jmig
April 26th, 2010, 10:33
Absolutely, but should a real world combat mission be sacrificed jus to perform an ORE/ORI?

Does the combat mission have to be scrubbed? Why not use it. Isn't the ORI supposed to simulate an actual combat mission? Why not use the real thing if it is available. That will give a real evaluation of ability and readiness.

tigisfat
April 26th, 2010, 10:52
Does the combat mission have to be scrubbed? Why not use it. Isn't the ORI supposed to simulate an actual combat mission? Why not use the real thing if it is available. That will give a real evaluation of ability and readiness.

hmm, maybe I've done different kinds of ORIs than you guys. I'm beginning to see a divide in our past experiences. The ORIs I've had have nothing to do with sorties or missions. There are no IG guys onboard the bombers, in the air or on the ranges reviewing results or timeliness or anything, for that matter. Our ORIs in the B-1 world are primarily logistics based. We have included ops personnel in the deployment phase, but during the actual deployment they perform their secondary duties. The ORIs focus on the generation and regeneration, which is performed in a way that you could never do it in the real world.

To sum it up, our ORIs flatly did not simulate actual combat missions, they simulated aircraft deployment and generation.

What did an ORI look like in your day, Jmig?