PDA

View Full Version : Best Freeware Thread

skyhawka4m
April 25th, 2010, 09:36
Ok, having just switched to FSX over at the FS9 side of the world there is a thread that people post the best freeware that is available.

Can we start that here?

Also, can someone tell me what overall FSX upgrade (payware) they would recommend to fix the very plain look in some areas of the FSX landscape? Ground Environment? Is it worth upgrading in FSX? I flew with GE and ASG in FS9.

empeck
April 25th, 2010, 09:41
Ok, having just switched to FSX over at the FS9 side of the world there is a thread that people post the best freeware that is available.

My favourite aircrafts are Goshawk and F-14 by Dino Cattaneo (with alternate HUD for both of them and new sounds for T-45) and everything by Piglet (especially Zlin and A-1 Skyraider). I like bananacopter (Piasecki H-21C Shawnee) by Mick Posch too.

Also, can someone tell me what overall FSX upgrade (payware) they would recommend to fix the very plain look in some areas of the FSX landscape? Ground Environment? Is it worth upgrading in FSX? I flew with GE and ASG in FS9.

U have UTX Europe and love it.

XLR8
April 25th, 2010, 09:47
http://www.byteforge.com/

Look under addons. There some pretty good one here .

ryanbatc
April 25th, 2010, 09:52
This link is getting old and there are some new releases here at SoH and elsewhere, but it is a good starting point.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2008/08/31/available-freeware-aircraft-add-ons-and-fsx.aspx

Antoninus
April 25th, 2010, 10:34
The Freeware replacement textures from Adam Mills for europe and the US fixed the default desert look for me.

If you are interested in naval aviation you should also try:
- Jim Dhaenens excellent Naval Air Station sceneries
- aicarriers2 tool, which allows you to place aircraft carriers everywhere during free flight
- Javier Fernandez USS Nimitz & USS Eisenhower carriers, much better than the default carrier from Acceleration

The guys from aussiex.org made some great stuff, countless airfields for Australia but also excellent photo sceneries for Death Valley, Grand Canyon and Tuscany.