PDA

View Full Version : FSX and vsync fix thread over at avsim

limjack
April 24th, 2010, 21:20
http://forums1.avsim.net/lofiversion/index.php/t283143.html

Roger
April 25th, 2010, 03:37
Thanks for the hu! Looks like ATI users especially, will be chuffed with this.

merida72
April 25th, 2010, 03:45
:jump: thanks!

and now start with the test :wiggle:

Tweek
April 25th, 2010, 05:22
I have a basic understanding of what VSync is, but I'm not really sure about what this is actually fixing, i.e. I don't know what the problem with VSync is in the first place. I'm an ATI user, so I may be suffering from the problem without realising it!

Anyone?

guzler
April 25th, 2010, 06:59
Wow, off now to test in anticipation....

Update: Well, there is still some tearing present when I pan and I seam to of followed the instructions correctly. That said, it's not that bad, so I'm not too bothered.

skyhawka4m
April 25th, 2010, 08:02
Can someone simply what it is we are looking at fixing and how to do it. I am using an ATI 5770 1gb DDR3.

Dangerous Beans
April 25th, 2010, 08:36
In reply to skyhawka4m & Tweek
Basically if VSync is off when you pan your view left or right quickly you will see a sort of tearing effect across the screen.
Its very noticeable if you use TrackIR but you will also see it using the hat switch to pan.

The downside of using VSync is that your frame rate will be capped to your monitors refresh rate, so if you have an LCD screen with a refresh rate of 60Hz you wont ever get more than 60 FPS. But then who can even get 60 FPS in FSX anyway :)

skyhawka4m
April 25th, 2010, 09:33
Ok...well I am running smooth at 30FPS but I do get ythe tearing I think that everyone is talking about.

Can someone make the fix a bit less confusing as to what we are to experiment with?

I'm a diehard FS9 user but I just had to upgrade to Windows 7 system so I decided to give FSX a shot. So far...not bad. I just miss all my payware.... : (

Tweek
April 25th, 2010, 09:41
In reply to skyhawka4m & Tweek
Basically if VSync is off when you pan your view left or right quickly you will see a sort of tearing effect across the screen.
Its very noticeable if you use TrackIR but you will also see it using the hat switch to pan.

The downside of using VSync is that your frame rate will be capped to your monitors refresh rate, so if you have an LCD screen with a refresh rate of 60Hz you wont ever get more than 60 FPS. But then who can even get 60 FPS in FSX anyway :)

Thanks for that. Will certainly look into it, then!

Slund
April 25th, 2010, 11:26
ATI 3870 user and have been fighting the Vsync issue for a year now. ATI tray tools and 3Doverrider worked somewhat but I was never satisfied.

This cfg tweak works perfectly for me.:jump:

Rezabrya
April 25th, 2010, 12:28
Might be a dumb question, but can anyone tell me why it is specifically for ATI users? I use Nhancer and a Nvidia GTX 260 and I get tons of Vsync problems.

jpmes
April 25th, 2010, 13:13
Might be a dumb question, but can anyone tell me why it is specifically for ATI users? I use Nhancer and a Nvidia GTX 260 and I get tons of Vsync problems.

It's not, Bojote's tweak works perfectly for Nvidia cards as well.

Just add at the end of your [GRAPHICS] section of your fsx.cfg

ForceFullScreenVSync=1

You can add "ForceWindowedVSync=1" as well if you want vsync in windowed mode

And if you use Nhancer, set vsync to application controlled in your FSX profile

Jean-Paul

Bjoern
April 25th, 2010, 15:58
This tweak has been around for a while and has been working for me ever since.

limjack
April 25th, 2010, 16:29
Although I do not have huge issues while panning around unless I have autogen turned up then I notice some anomalies and the screen rippling or rolling I inserted the tweak and turned my nhancer to application controlled and did not see any difference. I was really giving it a good workout panning. For a moment I thought I was caught up in Dorothy’s tornado in Kansas. I do love when these tweaks come along that help so many of us. By the way I have the Nvdia 8800gtx.

skyhawka4m
April 25th, 2010, 19:38
where is the FSX cfg file I need to modify.?

guzler
April 26th, 2010, 09:37
Although I do not have huge issues while panning around unless I have autogen turned up then I notice some anomalies and the screen rippling or rolling I inserted the tweak and turned my nhancer to application controlled and did not see any difference. I was really giving it a good workout panning. For a moment I thought I was caught up in Dorothy’s tornado in Kansas. I do love when these tweaks come along that help so many of us. By the way I have the Nvdia 8800gtx.

LOL ! You've best described how mine looks using an ATI 5850. I'm waiting for a fix that fully utilises a 4 core now !