PDA

View Full Version : rejected takeoff and overrun from very close

tigisfat
April 23rd, 2010, 23:27
It seems nothing escapes high quality video anymore.

B4DNEZbuivc

Roadburner440
April 24th, 2010, 06:48
Thought for sure that was going to keep going into those buildings past the dirt. I say they got very lucky that no one got hurt.. wonder what happened to cause the RTO? Looks to me like they used a runway that was to short to begin with, but only realized it once they started the run and it was to late..

TARPSBird
April 24th, 2010, 09:45
Look Ma, no runway!!! I wonder, at what point did the flight crew realize they screwed up??? :d

centuryseries
April 24th, 2010, 10:06
Just as well there was all that sand/dirt to help grab the wheels!!

Bet they were flying again in a few hours!

At the end of the vid it came up with some links, this one is particularly cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF8xzcanrjQ

tigisfat
April 24th, 2010, 13:20
David, I doubt they were flying in a few hours. All those burning brakes and wheels can be a nightmare.

deathfromafar
April 24th, 2010, 13:45
David, I doubt they were flying in a few hours. All those burning brakes and wheels can be a nightmare.

I'd have to agree with that. Burned/blown tires, the main's brakes are history and there are other aspects of the mains and nose gear struts that must be inspected for damage after coming to such a quick halt in that soft sand.

Wing_Z
April 24th, 2010, 13:54
At the end of the vid it came up with some links, this one is particularly cool...

Hehe...
Halloo guys, mah Super Stallion has this nosewheel thing...ah'll just hang it here, you take a look willya?
Thanks...

Helicopters rock!

tigisfat
April 24th, 2010, 14:32
That happens all the time with the CH-53 series choppers.

Clarke123
April 24th, 2010, 15:19
That happens all the time with the CH-53 series choppers.
Hope this doesn't happen often

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWh8QXHQEUg&feature=related

tigisfat
April 24th, 2010, 15:27
Hope this doesn't happen oftenI never noticed the part where they drop the dude before.

Ken Stallings
April 24th, 2010, 17:34
Perfect illustration why it is better to reject a takeoff even to the runoff area vice forcing an unsafe aircraft into the air. The only time this can become a problem is if the airport has an unsafe condition on the overrun.

This pilot lost an engine at just about the worst possible time. The loose sand also helped to put out the brake fire.

Ken

Wing_Z
April 24th, 2010, 17:38
Hope this doesn't happen often

Owww..now that guy's damage index looked like this:
Aircrash: 5%
Being rescued from the burning wreck: 95%
It's a bit like putting out a fire - water damage generally exceeds fire/smoke damage.

Ken Stallings
April 24th, 2010, 17:39
Thought for sure that was going to keep going into those buildings past the dirt. I say they got very lucky that no one got hurt.. wonder what happened to cause the RTO? Looks to me like they used a runway that was to short to begin with, but only realized it once they started the run and it was to late..

Number three engine crapped out on them halfway into the takeoff run. You can see the prop RPM retard as the pilot shut it down. You can also see a large quantity of white smoke emit from that engine.

My review says the pilot and crew did an excellent job! The overrun was very well designed by the airport authority. Loose sand provided a very safe overrun, same as a truck overrun on a highway. Best material to safely stop a large aircraft.

Cheers,

Ken

centuryseries
April 25th, 2010, 03:54

Don't forget some countries have an abbreviated form of safety concern when it comes to flying!! Plus it's Russian - designed to be durable!!

Who needs brakes!

Roadburner440
April 25th, 2010, 05:20
I have seen the 53 crash video before. They played that for us at a previous safety standdown. Is why I do not like those hinge fold mechanisms Sikorksy likes to use on the tail rotor pylons. Like on ours it is just 2 bolts, and a 7/8" ratchetings pin that holds ours closed. Granted I have never seen a tail rotor pylon fall off of an H-60/H-53 in the US, but chances are that is because the maitenance is done correctly. That thing with the nose landing gear is scary. I don't think I would be willing to go under there while the pilot holds the nose off the deck. All it would take is for their hand to slip off the collective and that would be all she wrote. I know the chances would be slim, but that would be going through my mind the whole time. I don't even see how they got under there in the first place because the rotor wash on those aircraft are intense. I almost got blown off the deck by one before. At least it was as quick as activating something under there and it popped out. We had a tail wheel fall off before but all we did was put out a mattress. The benefits of having non-retractable landing gear.

tigisfat
April 25th, 2010, 09:51
I have seen the 53 crash video before. They played that for us at a previous safety standdown. Is why I do not like those hinge fold mechanisms Sikorksy likes to use on the tail rotor pylons. Like on ours it is just 2 bolts, and a 7/8" ratchetings pin that holds ours closed. Granted I have never seen a tail rotor pylon fall off of an H-60/H-53 in the US, but chances are that is because the maitenance is done correctly. That thing with the nose landing gear is scary. I don't think I would be willing to go under there while the pilot holds the nose off the deck. All it would take is for their hand to slip off the collective and that would be all she wrote. I know the chances would be slim, but that would be going through my mind the whole time. I don't even see how they got under there in the first place because the rotor wash on those aircraft are intense. I almost got blown off the deck by one before. At least it was as quick as activating something under there and it popped out. We had a tail wheel fall off before but all we did was put out a mattress. The benefits of having non-retractable landing gear.

You just made my day. One of my jets back in 06 or 07 landed gear up and rototilled the only useable runway for quite some distance for 8,000 feet.

Bjoern
April 25th, 2010, 17:03
Just as well there was all that sand/dirt to help grab the wheels!!

Bet they were flying again in a few hours!

At the end of the vid it came up with some links, this one is particularly cool:

Talk about an "on the fly" repair. :icon_lol: