PDA

View Full Version : Dion Tomcat

tigisfat
April 23rd, 2010, 22:47
I love it, but I was wondering if anyone has updates the .AIR file to fix these issues:

1. Excess thrust. It's a little too much for the real thing. The real thing had power, but it was still a big bird and couldn't accelerate to supersonic fully loaded in a 90 degree climb.

2. It goes way to slow. A proper AOA is reached with full flaps in this bird at an unrealistic airspeed.

Before we go there, I'm not complaining. You can't beat the pricing, and this is the best tomcat ever made for MSFS. I'm just wondering if these items have been tweaked by anyone.

deathfromafar
April 23rd, 2010, 23:19
Tigis, what build of Dino's Cat are you running?

tigisfat
April 24th, 2010, 00:40
Tigis, what build of Dino's Cat are you running?

a very early one.... I'll go check it out. A website link would be great.

edit: well that stinks. It would appear that rapidshare has removed Dino's download link.

Daube
April 24th, 2010, 01:57
The version 1.06 is the latest 'complete' release, and there is a 'patch' for making it a 1.07.
The 1.06 can be found at Simviation for example.
I don't know for the 1.07 patch.

tigisfat
April 24th, 2010, 02:04
The version 1.06 is the latest 'complete' release, and there is a 'patch' for making it a 1.07.
The 1.06 can be found at Simviation for example.
I don't know for the 1.07 patch.

I've got it. The new flight dynamics appear quite sensible.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Dino Cattaneo
April 25th, 2010, 23:48
Improving the Tomcat dynamics will be one of the targets of the next iteration - although I think the latest version (from 1.05 onwards) is much better.
The engine performance is almost 100% accurate to the Natops in that release.

One thing I've been told is that the real Tomcat is less maneuverable in below 200 kts.

Other items in the to-do list are:
- better stall behaviour (current one is not realistic)
- departures at high AoA (very tricky to implement - they could create some weird situations)...

tigisfat
April 26th, 2010, 00:04
Improving the Tomcat dynamics will be one of the targets of the next iteration - although I think the latest version (from 1.05 onwards) is much better.
The engine performance is almost 100% accurate to the Natops in that release.

One thing I've been told is that the real Tomcat is less maneuverable in below 200 kts.

Other items in the to-do list are:
- better stall behaviour (current one is not realistic)
- departures at high AoA (very tricky to implement - they could create some weird situations)...

It feels fine to me.

Why did you stop using your old soundpack? The old one was much better, and I've saved it to keep adding to your newer F-14s.

Dino Cattaneo
April 26th, 2010, 23:21
As for the soundpack... well, I've never used anything else.
My releases have always been either without sound pack or with Aaron Swindle's one... Many people repackaged my files (in most cases without my authorization...but that is the price of the popularity :-) )... and used different sound packages. I've been told that there are better sounds for the Tomcat, but never tried them.

Suggestions welcome.

Aside, I'd like to have feedback from the community about some possible features/enhancements (like the real need of a RIO cockpit - I'd like to make one, but it is complex and I'm not sure anyone will really use it), but I'll probably make a new post for that...

Sideshow
April 27th, 2010, 00:13
Aside, I'd like to have feedback from the community about some possible features/enhancements (like the real need of a RIO cockpit - I'd like to make one, but it is complex and I'm not sure anyone will really use it), but I'll probably make a new post for that...

I personally would have no use for a RIO cockpit (but I might be a minority). The only enhancement I would suggest would be clearer (sharper?) cockpit textures (although again I might be a minority).

I wish IRIS would update their F-14 flight model to make it a bit more believable. I like their cockpit but their engines are just too powerful.

Dino Cattaneo
April 27th, 2010, 01:13
I personally would have no use for a RIO cockpit (but I might be a minority). The only enhancement I would suggest would be clearer (sharper?) cockpit textures (although again I might be a minority).

I wish IRIS would update their F-14 flight model to make it a bit more believable. I like their cockpit but their engines are just too powerful.

I agree that the cockpit textures could be much better, especially for the side consoles. I already planned to most of the cockpit textures for better readability.
Also, the HUD needs to be much more translucent and collimated.
And... well, I'll make a specific post.

tigisfat
April 27th, 2010, 11:08
Suggestions welcome.

AH!! Here's one. You should offer a payware package for the freeware tomcat that adds accu...er...dinosim, or whatever you wanna call it. The RIO could run through checklists for/with you, you could see your own animated legs and arms....The possibilities are endless. It'd be great.

Bone
April 27th, 2010, 11:32
AH!! Here's one. You should offer a payware package for the freeware tomcat that adds accu...er...dinosim, or whatever you wanna call it. The RIO could run through checklists for/with you, you could see your own animated legs and arms....The possibilities are endless. It'd be great.

Resurrect Goose and put him back there!

Mr.Mugel
April 27th, 2010, 11:35

"Is this your idea of fun, Maverick?"

Just took the Cat out earlier, it still impressed me!

tigisfat
April 27th, 2010, 11:36

I wouldn't mind hearing all of his one-liners all day long.

Dino Cattaneo
April 28th, 2010, 07:13
Well... as soon as I've finished the F-35 I will make an "open discussion" post for the new Tomcat... I like the idea of a "virtual RIO" - while I'd like to make a RIO cockpit, that would require a lot of time.. It would be easier to make an F-14B cockpit.

For now, the most doable thing would be a remake of the F-14D (the only thing I don't like about the Super Tomcat is that the Jolly Rogers never employed it)...

Will post an update asap...

wilycoyote4
April 29th, 2010, 11:44
Version 1.07 is pretty good. I'll be glad to see an improvement in the due process of time. Knowing it'll get better makes me happy. Thanks for the heads up, Dino.