PDA

View Full Version : IRL Surfers Paradise - now dead.

demorier
November 10th, 2008, 15:35
Local newspaper reports that the annual CART/IRL race at Surfers Paradise in Australia is now finished. Although the contracts are not signed yet, the local state government departments for sport are now gunning for a 5 years deal with the A1GP organisation to replace it.
As a local I would have very much liked to see it stay, but only on a "real" race track.

wombat666
November 11th, 2008, 09:18
The only problem we have in the Sunshine State is a lack of decent permanent circuits.
Lakeside is only really operating as a Club Circuit, the original Surfers Paradise Raceway is non-existant (Thank you very much Keith Bloody Williams!) and I wouldn"t run a Kart meeting at that horrid 'Paperclip' out near Ipswich.
:isadizzy:
Durban ran a pretty decent A1GP round on a street circuit, but thay have been fortunate to get the use of Kylami .................:applause:
The street circuit at Surfers would be better than the one in Durban, and it would fit the Guvment's revenue gathering plan if they could continue to use the existing facility with A1GP.
As always, time will tell.

demorier
November 11th, 2008, 17:16
WELL i WOULDN'T GET CRANKY WITH kEITH wILLIAMS...AS HE BUILT THE SURFER CIRCUIT IN THE FIRST PLACE....plain old urban creep called the end of it's days.

I do agree with you about the lack of circuits. Dick Johnson proposed some time back to build a dedicated circuit at Norwell about half way between Brisbane and the Goldy amonst what is now mostly cane fields. But this would eventually suffer urban creep as well.

wombat666
November 12th, 2008, 00:55
I know Keith built the circuit, it was pretty much my 'Home Circuit' for several years.
IIRC he sold it to fund 'Seaworld' and it ended up in Japanese hands, supposedly for a retirement community for aged Japanese.
Like most of those projects it went belly up .......................:kilroy: