PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Canard@Friday Harbor, +Seaplane vid

emorris
April 23rd, 2010, 15:31
Last year, while on a trip to Friday Harbor, an interesting canard pusher prop parked at Friday Harbor caught my eye. Not only was the plane cool looking, but the way it was parked was pretty strange. After doing a bit a research, I thought that it might be some sort of Rutan. However, I could not find a picture of one that matched it exactly. Could it be a kit build or a one-off? I hope that someone here can identify it!
Thanks,
emorris

P.S. Here's a video from the flight to Friday Harbor. The Turbine Otter I was in passed a slower Beaver. If anyone wants me to dig up some other pics from the trip, I might do so.

http://www.vimeo.com/11151365

N2056
April 23rd, 2010, 15:44
Your mystery plane is known as a VariViggen. It was Burt Rutan's first design built in the late 60's :salute:

emorris
April 23rd, 2010, 15:56
Your mystery plane is known as a VariViggen. It was Burt Rutan's first design built in the late 60's :salute:

Thanks! Now, why is it parked like that?

OBIO
April 23rd, 2010, 19:22
Thanks! Now, why is it parked like that?

Quite possibly because it does not have any fuel in it. With the engine being toward the tail more, the plane would be light in the nose without the pilot and fuel on board....thus resulting in the plane setting back on its haunches.

I came across an image of the Grumman F7F Tigercat in a tail down position like that, and the information stated that it was common for the Tigercat to sit like that when it had no fuel in the tanks. At one point, the Tigercat was equipped with a skid plate under the tail just for this stance.

OBIO

TomSteber
April 23rd, 2010, 19:38
Liked the video.

As far as the Variviggen, it was (as far as I know) his only wood design.