intresting read

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1602028/adobe-strikes-apple

Lionheart
April 23rd, 2010, 02:03
Interesting...

Bill

Cratermaker
April 23rd, 2010, 04:40
I think Apple is making a huge mistake here. I have looked at the developers environment for both Apple and MS's handheld products, and MS's is much more refined (both, at this point, are still free). Now I haven't done much serious app development, but I'd rather go with MS if I had to. If windows Mobile 7 supports or will support Flash, I think Apple will have a serious problem on their hands. I am very curious about Win 7 mobile, after seeing a Zune HD interface.

The best case scenario for everyone would be an open source alternative to Flash with power management built in.

The biggest problem with Flash on a hand held device is battery drain while doing all those fancy animations, it's not the actual issue of displaying the junk. I say junk because a vast amount of Flash at websites is advertisements.

Ken Stallings
April 23rd, 2010, 14:29
I'm afraid the concept that Steve Jobs is a control freak was realized many decades ago. Steve Wozniac ended up hating the guy. That's why Wozniac ended up a school teacher teaching kids about computer technology. Working with Jobs and his frenzied, dictatorial, dominating and frankly cruel management philosophy so totally turned him off the Apple business.

Jobs hasn't changed one bit.

Put it this way, if I had a choice whom to invite to my home for dinner and interesting conversation, I'd invite Wozniac and tell Jobs to take a hike!

Wozniac is a nice man. Jobs has never been confused that way!

Ken

Lionheart
April 23rd, 2010, 15:51
I'm afraid the concept that Steve Jobs is a control freak was realized many decades ago. Steve Wozniac ended up hating the guy. That's why Wozniac ended up a school teacher teaching kids about computer technology. Working with Jobs and his frenzied, dictatorial, dominating and frankly cruel management philosophy so totally turned him off the Apple business.

Jobs hasn't changed one bit.

Put it this way, if I had a choice whom to invite to my home for dinner and interesting conversation, I'd invite Wozniac and tell Jobs to take a hike!

Wozniac is a nice man. Jobs has never been confused that way!

Ken

I would think Seve's ideas are paying off. If he had been weaker in a sense of being laxed instead of headstrong about Apple being the best and going after being number one, then it wouldnt have become what it is today.

Imagine a person being more like a schoolteacher working as a partner with Howard Hughes. Howard would be working on a plane himself, in overall's on Christmas Eve night. No one does that. These guys that have such positions 'live' the entire show.

If I may step back to topic, I think Adobe or rather Autodesk, has become a empire, a company that does 'not' rely on competition, but rather 'buying up all adversaries and competitors' and then inflating the prices. Gmax/Max is a perfect example of monopolizing the design market, as well as Adobe and Flash, now all ruled from one canadian management center. Photoshop went from $79.00 to $2,000.00. Max went from under $1,000.00 to $4,000.00 USD. These are 'ludicrous' prices and not for regular people. Flash went from under $100.00 to over $400.00 alone after the buyout. If anyone is in the wrong, I would think it was adobe and autodesk.

Do you know how much a PDF maker cost from Adobe? Like $350.00. But you can compile PDFs in Apple free. You can compile PDF's with freeware products, with Office GL. Why would any sane person pay $350.00 to just make a PDF file?????

I would imagine if Adobe and the autodesk empire asked 'sane' prices for product lines, they would be 'in' the Apple circle. I think its AD's monopoly/high price embargos that make them something Steve does not want to go near.

My 2 cents..

Bill

Skittles
April 23rd, 2010, 16:21
I would imagine if Adobe and the autodesk empire asked 'sane' prices for product lines, they would be 'in' the Apple circle. I think its AD's monopoly/high price embargos that make them something Steve does not want to go near.

Have you seen how much the Ipad costs? Or the Macbook? Or the Ipad? Or the Iphone?

If there's one person in the technology industry that charges insane prices it's Steve Jobs.

Kiwikat
April 23rd, 2010, 18:20
Have you seen how much the Ipad costs? Or the Macbook? Or the Ipad? Or the Iphone?

If there's one person in the technology industry that charges insane prices it's Steve Jobs.

Those gadgets cost nothing compared to the Mac Pro. Now THAT is overpriced.

I don't understand what Apple's problem is. Flash is one of the most widely used technologies in existence. If they refuse to support it, people will look elsewhere for their tech needs.

Yet people keep buying their products... :banghead:

You would be surprised how unpopular apple is among the IT students at my school. Even the instructors don't like them.

Ken Stallings
April 23rd, 2010, 18:30
Those gadgets cost nothing compared to the Mac Pro. Now THAT is overpriced.

I don't understand what Apple's problem is. Flash is one of the most widely used technologies in existence. If they refuse to support it, people will look elsewhere for their tech needs.

Yet people keep buying their products... :banghead:

You would be surprised how unpopular apple is among the IT students at my school. Even the instructors don't like them.

But never to the level that they otherwise could.

My point being that at a point a few decades ago, Apple and Microsoft were positioned for parallel growth. Microsoft adopted a more open marketing strategy and expanded the scope of their O/S. Apple on the other hand strove for more tightly controlled development.

In terms of PC flight simulation, it was sort of an echo of the Flight Simulator versus IL-2 Sturmovik games. One allowed an open architecture while the other tightly controlled the add-on's and third party platform development.

Apple as a result enjoyed a more stable O/S. But, Microsoft enjoyed a platform that experience exponential growth as so many third party applications were developed. Accordingly, sales of Microsoft's O/S skyrocketed and rest became world history. Apple came perilously close to closure.

Ironically, one of the current public relations messages that Apple is hyping could have been entirely reversed. Had Apple explored the open architecture model, it could have become the world dominant platform and been the "apple" of the eye for hackers. Apple O/S isn't immune to hackers. That's a fantasy. It is just that so vastly more hackers focus on Microsoft's O/S because its the world leading platform.

Apple made their more recent inroads into the PC realm as they started to support PC applications. So, their recent resurgence is mainly the result of a vastly more open approach. The iPhone and iPad are another example of brilliant innovation that might be stymied in potential growth due to Apple's desire for control.

Droid promises to break the market wide open with and open architecture. In my view, history may be repeating itself and in a way not beneficial to Apple's long term growth potential.

Cheers,

Ken

Lionheart
April 23rd, 2010, 21:55
EDITED: nevermind... pointless

<--- draws circles in the dirt with a stick...

Bill