PDA

View Full Version : Great idea for a life like mission

Cromwell
April 22nd, 2010, 14:04
I have had an idea to make our ETO even more life like. The idea for this mission came following a conversation with my Father on his wartime flying experiences.

You need one aircraft. Type does not matter. All aircraft engaged in this type of senario!

This is best played multiplayer.

You get your chosen aircraft sitting outside the hanger.

Your taking it up for a training exercise, test flight what ever you like. Before you start up a message appears from Chiefy in charge of the ground crew!

Chief "Sorry Sir! The ....(Insert your own piece of aircraft fixture or fitting) is buggered. I have the team on it now"

You speak "How long Chief?"

Chief "Couple of hours Sir!"

Get together with your fellow multi player pilots, play cards...drink tea...talk about women...what you will do after the war....for two hours.

You "Fit to go Chief?"

Chief "Fixed it fine Sir. However the boys found the ....(Insert your own piece of aircraft fixture or fitting) is buggered. I have the team on it now"

You speak "How long Chief?"

Chief "Couple of hours Sir!"

Get together with your fellow multi player pilots, play cards...drink tea...talk about women...what you will do after the war....for two hours.

You "Fit to go Chief?"

Chief "Fixed it fine Sir."

You "Wizard show Chief! I'll be off!"

Chief " Sorry Sir! Met been on the blower, weathers clagged in flying scrubbed for today!"

You " Bit browned off now old chap"

Chief "Never mind Sir! Give me and the boys a chance to fix the ....(Insert your own piece of aircraft fixture or fitting) It looks on the way out to me!"

Retire to Mess bar or local hostelry and get bladdered whilst impressing the Waafs (not easily impressed or local girls ( very easily impressed).

Now that... according to my Father is realism. Any one up for writing the mission!!

ndicki
April 22nd, 2010, 22:26
Sounds first-class! It does rather correspond to some of the tales my father used to tell...

"Daddy, what did you do in the War?"

"Spent a lot of time waiting to fly."

"Did you bomb a lot of Germans?"

"Not that often. Usually we just unloaded where we felt like it and scarpered for home."

"Oh. Was it exciting?"

"No. You didn't want it to be exciting."

"Oh."

No wonder the post-war generation grew up to think that war was a waste of time!

HouseHobbit
April 23rd, 2010, 22:09
I gress one truth is, war is often extreme Boredom, punctulated by moments Sheer Terror and Panic..As has been said..

As a Soldier, The last thing I wanted to do was dodge bullets..
Screaming "INCOMING" is not a nice day..
But as a soldier one May have to Scream "INCOMING"..

Hey... I might have to work out this mission, One where Nothing Happens..
WOW..it may turn the into something completely new..
Or at least "Something Completely Different"
OPPPS.. I gress Monty Python first said that..

ndicki
April 24th, 2010, 00:46
I never screamed "INCOMING!"

I simply used to say, "Time to lie down, chaps." No point in getting the men all excited.

Cromwell
April 25th, 2010, 22:38
I never screamed "INCOMING!"

I simply used to say, "Time to lie down, chaps." No point in getting the men all excited.

Thats the ticket. You must be ex- Royal Air Force Ndicki!

No room in the RAF for all the beastly yelling shouting and screaming accompanied by stamping of feet etc.

Shortly before de-mob my Father was passed by an Airman who failed to salute. For the sake of keping up a degree of military discipline my father called after the Airman
"Excuse me, but don't you notice anything different about my uniform?"
To which the on the verge of de-mob Airman replied with an excellent salute.
"Yes Sir! It fits!"

ndicki
April 26th, 2010, 10:01
Actually, I was a brown job... But my father's RAF approach had worn off on me!