PDA

View Full Version : Taxiing help for the A2A WOP B-17.

gradyhappyg
April 20th, 2010, 20:06
I got to wondering why the plane was so difficult to taxi and neither brakes nor engines would turn the aircraft while taxiing. So after checking other taildraggers aircraft CFG files noticed there was no entry for differential braking hence all the straight line fence crashing with the 17. So added this to the CFG. Helped a lot and gave the 17 that waddle you see in all the old footage of taxi shots.
As usual back up your originals then copy add this (section below) to the copies brakes section after deleting the original brakes section.

[brakes]
toe_brakes_scale=1.4026
parking_brake=1
differential_braking_scale = 1.1

Snave
April 20th, 2010, 23:13
I got to wondering why the plane was so difficult to taxi and neither brakes nor engines would turn the aircraft while taxiing. So after checking other taildraggers aircraft CFG files noticed there was no entry for differential braking hence all the straight line fence crashing with the 17. So added this to the CFG. Helped a lot and gave the 17 that waddle you see in all the old footage of taxi shots.
As usual back up your originals then copy add this (section below) to the copies brakes section after deleting the original brakes section.

[brakes]
toe_brakes_scale=1.4026
parking_brake=1
differential_braking_scale = 1.1

You did turn OFF the tailwheel lock..? Mine pivots on a single wheel no trouble, right up to the point where I get ripped by the FE for nearly pulling a tyre off the rim.

BTW the presence of differential braking is not defined by the .cfg file setting, it's defined in the .air file and MODIFIED by the .cfg setting, so all you've done is increase the brakes on each side, which is the last thing the Accusim bird needs as you will cook the brakes in seconds if you try this as A2A model brake overheating. I have no idea whether you are referring to the Accusimmed or basic B-17 but I would seriously advise AGAINST this mod if using Accusim.

The root cause of your problem likely lies elsewhere.

gradyhappyg
April 21st, 2010, 00:35
Have the basic and had the tailwheel lock off but never could get the bird to turn even with full throttle on one side and holding or tapping the brakes and full rudder on the side just wouldn't turn.
Now she does. So if anyone wants to give it a shot it only cost a couple of minutes if you don't like it or think it helps you can always go back to the original settings.

bstolle
April 21st, 2010, 00:55
BTW the presence of differential braking is not defined by the .cfg file setting, it's defined in the .air file and MODIFIED by the .cfg setting

That's interesting. Where in the air file is the option for the differential brakes if I may ask?
According to the FSX SDK it's defined in the cfg file.

peter12213
April 21st, 2010, 02:21
The tailwheel lock is automatically on, you must release it to taxi!

fliger747
April 21st, 2010, 10:43
(1) Differential braking works best with auto rudder off.......

(2) Not sure why one would use 1.1 as a diff braking value. This might even cause the plane to swivel at rest with the engines off......... Negative braking values will cause the plane to accelerate on brake application. Haven't tried above 1.0 diffy values as yet....

(3) Quite unusual as well for the braking scalar to be above about .7 or so.... Higher brakinng scalars cause FSX to lock the wheels, further reducing braking effect.

(4) Without the braking scalar line in the cfg, one can use differential and modulated braking with pedals, but not with a twisty stick. With the entry in the cfg, braking is applied differentially proportionally to rudder deflection.

(5) If you are using a twisty stick, you need the entry in the cfg.

Cheers: T

spotlope
April 21st, 2010, 10:55
With the tailwheel lock off, I've had very little trouble getting the B-17 to turn while taxiing using a combination of differential thrust and braking. Are you sure something else isn't off with your rig?