PDA

View Full Version : Whoopsie! Apple lost a proto of the next gen iPhone and Gizmodo got it!

Cratermaker
April 19th, 2010, 14:52
http://gizmodo.com/5520164/

Allen
April 19th, 2010, 18:33
Apple is having a fit right now I'm sure...:icon_lol:

Lionheart
April 19th, 2010, 18:33
Man, this would be cool.

Two cam's, one on the face for person to person vid-com's. Very very nice...

Looks like its modelled after the iMac.

..................if this really is an Apple iPhone.

You know... I wonder if they left it there.? (on purpose)

Allen
April 19th, 2010, 18:40
You know... I wonder if they left it there.? (on purpose)

That is what I was coming back to edit my post about.

Cratermaker
April 19th, 2010, 19:18
I thought this too. It's not their usual M.O., but maybe they're trying out new marketing techniques. (new to them anyway)

djscoo
April 19th, 2010, 21:17
http://gizmodo.com/5520479/a-letter-apple-wants-its-secret-iphone-back

Lionheart
April 20th, 2010, 00:54
lolol...

Love those letters to each other. lol...

We'll probably never find out if its just a viral tactic of advertising or not. Cool though to see the next-gen phone. Man... I am going to need to get a part time job to afford these toys...

Bill

Allen
April 20th, 2010, 08:41
http://gizmodo.com/5520479/a-letter-apple-wants-its-secret-iphone-back

If I were Giz I would ask for proof that it is "a device that belongs to Apple", but the letter proves that it IS the new phone. So it all good to Giz.

Willy
April 20th, 2010, 10:12
I'd at least ask Apple for a description of the device to make sure it's the same one. ;)

Snuffy
April 20th, 2010, 10:15
Does this even really matter? :kilroy:

Bjoern
April 20th, 2010, 12:51
Two cam's, one on the face for person to person vid-com's. Very very nice...

Err, this has been standard on most camera phone for at least four years now...

At least my Sony Ericsson K810i had it and my Samsung i8910 has this as well.

Ken Stallings
April 20th, 2010, 17:36
Perhaps I'm a party pooper, but I don't see any positives about this.

First off, the idiot who did this is no doubt fired from his job, and rightfully so!

But, beyond that, Apple likely has not finalized the design, so I think any descriptions of features are premature and likely subject to inaccuracies.

Apple will no doubt now consider closing off testing outside the company buildings, and that means less robust and realistic field testing. Then again, perhaps they will rightly chalk this up to one stunningly stupid former employee.

To me, it's kind of like opening your Christmas gifts early and losing the thrill of Christmas morning.

Cheers,

Ken

Skittles
April 20th, 2010, 17:44
Perhaps I'm a party pooper, but I don't see any positives about this.

First off, the idiot who did this is no doubt fired from his job, and rightfully so!

But, beyond that, Apple likely has not finalized the design, so I think any descriptions of features are premature and likely subject to inaccuracies.

Apple will no doubt now consider closing off testing outside the company buildings, and that means less robust and realistic field testing. Then again, perhaps they will rightly chalk this up to one stunningly stupid former employee.

To me, it's kind of like opening your Christmas gifts early and losing the thrill of Christmas morning.

Cheers,

Ken

You can't really call for robust and realistic field testing then suggest the employee was 'stunningly stupid' for what is an easy mistake to make (losing your phone/wallet etc).

Anyway chances are this was intentional from Apple. I would not be surprised in the slightest if the person that Gizmodo bought it from was an Apple employee with a fabricated story. Apple thrive off this rumour mill (with the exeption of the Ipad, when the hype got the the point that the actual release was extremely disappointing for the people who had heard it would be able to make your breakfast).

tigisfat
April 20th, 2010, 17:56
.........with the exeption of the Ipad, when the hype got the the point that the actual release was extremely disappointing for the people who had heard it would be able to make your breakfast).

spot on. :icon_lol: Is it a iphone without a phone or a tablet pc without the processing power?

No matter how much I think it doesn't have a place in anyone's personal device lineup, They're selling those things like it's something to do.

Lionheart
April 20th, 2010, 19:47
Some YouTube's on the device. They filmed it.

PUJ-T-awpk8

D_T96MCov_w

jRK1qkpwmzE

Skittles
April 20th, 2010, 20:14
It seems odd that the thing wasn't working, or that they couldn't get it working.

I'm sure at Gizmodo there must be enough people to know how to fix that kind of thing...

Makes me think even more that Apple was in on it.

tigisfat
April 20th, 2010, 20:59
It seems odd that the thing wasn't working, or that they couldn't get it working.

I'm sure at Gizmodo there must be enough people to know how to fix that kind of thing...

Makes me think even more that Apple was in on it.

You gotta read the whole thing to find out that Apple bricked it from a distance. Disabling the firmware would prevent anyone from getting their code or further information about it's true capabilities.

Cratermaker
April 21st, 2010, 04:19
Actually, the phone was lost over a month ago. Gizmodo just got their hands on it in the last few days. They were able to locate the fellow that lost it at his place of work... at Apple. Maybe they are more forgiving than thought or maybe they saw the potential bad press if they fired the guy.

Quixoticish
April 21st, 2010, 05:00
Actually, the phone was lost over a month ago. Gizmodo just got their hands on it in the last few days. They were able to locate the fellow that lost it at his place of work... at Apple. Maybe they are more forgiving than thought or maybe they saw the potential bad press if they fired the guy.

Or perhaps it was leaked deliberately to generate interest and drum up media coverage.

I think this is by far the most logical explanation. It's obviously worked as well!

Cratermaker
April 21st, 2010, 05:30
Well, whatever they are doing, between products and marketing, they are cleaning up!

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/article/471149/Apple-Blows-Out-Earnings-Thanks-to-Huge-iPhone-Sales

Lionheart
April 21st, 2010, 05:33
Goodness... How can they sell that many, lol... and in a quarter of a year.

The last part, Steve says '...and we're coming out with several new products through this year'..

arrgh...

I need to get another job to compensate this...

AckAck
April 21st, 2010, 06:02
I need to get another job to compensate this...

Nah, just don't get all excited because Apple comes out with something. Some people muddle through with only 2 19" monitors instead of large Apple TVs, and get by with phones that are more functional than iPhones or iPads...

Some people, mind you. Not everyone.

Brian

Snuffy
April 21st, 2010, 06:16
Or perhaps it was leaked deliberately to generate interest and drum up media coverage.

I think this is by far the most logical explanation. It's obviously worked as well!

Actually Its failed on me.

I really see no need for anything like this ... my "phone" does exactly what I need a phone to do. I don't need all that other distractive crap.

Lionheart
April 21st, 2010, 06:30
Nah, just don't get all excited because Apple comes out with something. Some people muddle through with only 2 19" monitors instead of large Apple TVs, and get by with phones that are more functional than iPhones or iPads...

Some people, mind you. Not everyone.

Brian

Aaack!

A pocket laptop.... and stereo... and tv... calculator... gaming device... oops.. and phone.

tigisfat
April 21st, 2010, 08:42
.....and get by with phones that are more functional than iPhones or iPads...

Yeah, I keep hearing that, and it's rubbish. Show me a single phone that can do more than my iphone.

Snuffy
April 21st, 2010, 09:36
Yeah, I keep hearing that, and it's rubbish. Show me a single phone that can do more than my iphone.

I don't need a phone to do all that crap. I want a phone to be a phone. ... That's all I need.

tigisfat
April 21st, 2010, 09:55
I don't need a phone to do all that crap. I want a phone to be a phone. ... That's all I need.

You may not have a need or a want, but many do have a need and a want for a phone that they can manage business and organize themselves from. Given the hundreds of thousands of apps, there are tools for just about everything and every profession.

I having a moving map aviation GPS with a flight planner, weather, E6B, all VFR and IFR charts witha logbook and many more features that I paid a one time 4.99 price for. The amount of money I save and convenience offered by just that one app makes it worth it. I don't even carry a flight bag much anymore for local flights. I have my phone in my pocket, my headset around my neck and my kneeboard. That's it.

That's not to mention all of my business management and accounting apps.

Snuffy
April 21st, 2010, 10:39
I'm happy for you ... I really am ... :mixedsmi:

Chacha
April 21st, 2010, 10:39
You may not have a need or a want, but many do have a need and a want for a phone that they can manage business and organize themselves from. Given the hundreds of thousands of apps, there are tools for just about everything and every profession.

I having a moving map aviation GPS with a flight planner, weather, E6B, all VFR and IFR charts witha logbook and many more features that I paid a one time 4.99 price for. The amount of money I save and convenience offered by just that one app makes it worth it. I don't even carry a flight bag much anymore for local flights. I have my phone in my pocket, my headset around my neck and my kneeboard. That's it.

That's not to mention all of my business management and accounting apps.

Absolutely right!

My daily activity is organized in my iPhone.
I can be reached almost anywhere with it, especially when I am slacking while working ;) ;)

You will be amazed how it can work for you to the fullest.
You won't need a secretary.
It can store my life activities in my iPhone, basically!

There are apps from my food, to my budget, to my routine exercises, to my shopping, to a few of my games, birthday reminders, you tube, maps, weather, i can record meetings, lectures or just simple conversation. I can record a quick video for up to 20+ minutes on Qik video.... there are more....

tigisfat
April 21st, 2010, 10:49
Absolutely right!

My daily activity is organized in my iPhone.
I can be reached almost anywhere with it, especially when I am slacking while working ;) ;)

You will be amazed how it can work for you to the fullest.
You won't need a secretary.
It can store my life activities in my iPhone, basically!

There are apps from my food, to my budget, to my routine exercises, to my shopping, to a few of my games, birthday reminders, you tube, maps, weather, i can record meetings, lectures or just simple conversation. I can record a quick video for up to 20+ minutes on Qik video.... there are more....

Not to mention you'll never be bored again in a waiting room or restroom. I no longer have stack of A&S Smithsonian and Flying magazine cluttering up my bathroom.

Chacha
April 21st, 2010, 10:58
Not to mention you'll never be bored again in a waiting room or restroom. I no longer have stack of A&S Smithsonian and Flying magazine cluttering up my bathroom.

LOL.....

Too much information tigi..... :)
You want to be entertained anywhere.... :)

But so true,
Never be bored again while waiting for your turn at the doctor's office. ... that's just a few it could do...

Goodness, you revealed our secret- we are bunch of HDAA - or whateveryoucallit!

mariereid
April 21st, 2010, 11:01
I'm with you, Snuffy. I can only handle one phone in the house. The rest of them are too high tech for me. My phone has 12 buttons on it, ya pick it up and say hello. I'll run by 2 or 3 fancy phones to get to "old faithful".

Hey Chacha, does that iphone cook supper too? :ernae:

tigisfat
April 21st, 2010, 11:03
I'm with you, Snuffy. I can only handle one phone in the house. The rest of them are too high tech for me. My phone has 12 buttons on it, ya pick it up and say hello. I'll run by 2 or 3 fancy phones to get to "old faithful".

It won't cook it, but it'll tell you how and give you recipe ideas. :salute:

Chacha
April 21st, 2010, 11:15

It can, If I ask it to cook to order for me, I just have to pick it up at the restaurant I ordered food from (from the iPhone)..

So literally NO,
but YES if I want to pay for someone to do it for me! :)

tigisfat
April 21st, 2010, 11:21
It can, If I ask it to cook to order for me, I just have to pick it up at the restaurant I ordered food from (from the iPhone)..

So literally NO,
but YES if I want to pay for someone to do it for me! :)

There are delivery apps too.

Bjoern
April 21st, 2010, 12:55

Samsung i8910?

At least it has a camera that deserves the name.

tigisfat
April 21st, 2010, 13:00
Samsung i8910?

At least it has a camera that deserves the name.

That's quite a nice phone, but it doesn't have millions of applications for every purpose, making it positively not capable of doing more than an iphone does.

I am jealous of the HD camcorder and 8mp camera though.

Bjoern
April 21st, 2010, 13:17
That's quite a nice phone, but it doesn't have millions of applications for every purpose, making it positively not capable of doing more than an iphone does.

I am jealous of the HD camcorder and 8mp camera though.

Well, it suffers from just about the worst mobile phone OS ever made.
I bet it would have a lot more users with anything suitable like Android or Windows Mobile.
Symbian, especially the stock, non-modded and un-hacked versions is a royal PITA.

Ken Stallings
April 21st, 2010, 15:44
Since tigisfat just told us of his bathroom habits in public, shouldn't he be banished to Oso's Outhouse! :icon_lol:

Ken

peter12213
April 22nd, 2010, 05:48

LOL I have to admit I'm guilty of the same, hahaha I just couldn't live without my iPhone, I honestly do not know how I have lived for most of my 24 years on this planet without one!!!!