PDA

View Full Version : RE: Land and aerial photos of the Icelandic volcanoe

brad kaste
April 19th, 2010, 06:25
.....This is a real eye opener.......

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/icelands_disruptive_volcano.html

Cazzie
April 19th, 2010, 07:37
Hey Brad, have an eye-full of these photos. The shots with lightning are just incredible. For some reason I have never seen lightning involved in volcanic eruptions.

http://www.swisseduc.ch/stromboli/perm/iceland/eyafallajokull_20100416-en.html

I can tell you this, Eyjafjallajökull is actually quite small on the global stage, but vulcanologists noticed ground deformation around it months ago and started giving eruption warnings then. What the deformation means is that there is still a healthy magma chamber beneath it, so this eruption could go on for weeks or months yet.

What will improve is the smoke and ash, which is being caused by steam from the overlying glacier. As that melts, the main fuel for the ash being propelled so high in the atmosphere (steam) will be removed. This particular volcano is not one of the explosive types that we see with Pinutubo (in the Philippines) or Vesuvius and it's magma is not gas-rich. There is a risk that it could set Katla off, but at the moment the risk of that is low. Regardless of all of the disruption I am finding this fascinating.

One thing this volcano has highlighted is the fragility of modern life, one little dust cloud and all of Europe's exotic imports cease. One day we will really be up poop creek, as there is bound to be another Tambora or Santorini, but they will even pale into insignificance when the Yellowstone caldera blows. That is about 50,000 years overdue, so I advise you all to stock up on bottled water, matches, batteries, and canned food. And get rid of the wives, twelve months of nagging whilst the sky clears would drive anyone to murder, plus the supplies will last longer.:d

Caz

brad kaste
April 19th, 2010, 08:06
Caz,...you're so right about the Yellowstone caldera. I saw a show awhile ago that dealt with the geological implications when Yellowstone blows up. And it will happen. It's just a matter of time. Makes one wonder which one will hit first,....the 'Big ONE' in California or the Yellowstone caldera. Maybe it doesn't matter,....either way,...it'll be time to spread one's legs,.....bend waaaa-a-a-y over,....and kiss your buttski good-bye.:engel016:

mfitch
April 19th, 2010, 13:07
The lightning images are great. I saw some of those with a local volcano last year and was immediately fascinated. Thanks all for posting these photo links.