PDA

View Full Version : Old USN knife....looking for information!

Navy Chief
April 18th, 2010, 18:10
My cousin showed me this knife today. It was my uncles, apparently, but don't recall ever seeing it before.

Am hoping some USN vet on here will shed some light on it, and the age?

On one side, is engraved USS Hunt DD-674; and on the flip side, my uncle's name.

I just found this:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/boatswains-splicer-knife-or-boat-knife-2

NC

Tako_Kichi
April 18th, 2010, 18:57
It's a mariner's pocket knife for sure as it has a blade and a miniature marlin spike used when making splices in ropes.

Navy Chief
April 18th, 2010, 19:26
I've just spent a couple hours, searching for information on this specific model of knife. It was made by Camillus, but I cannot find any pictures of one, anywhere. I have found pictures of more recent models, but not the metal one.

NC

mariereid
April 19th, 2010, 03:08
My dad had a similar knife. I think he used to call it a boatswain's (excuse correct spelling) knife. He was an old salt and used to make all kinds of items with rope. I believe it had RCN stamped on it. Jeez, now I want to have a look through all the stuff he left me, could be one in there some where. :salute:

Moparmike
April 19th, 2010, 08:32
NC,

You might want to try posting over on the www.allaboutpocketknives.com (http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com) forum.
There is a member over there (user name is CAMCO) that is the former company historian for Camillus. I'd guess that he'd be a good source of info on that model.

I've got a couple older Camillus camp pocketknives that fit in pretty good with my Ulster/Imperial/Schrade scout knife collection. Never had a boatswain's knife though (it's not really one of the types that I like to packrat).
Both the old and the new ones are excellent quality blades. Camillis was pretty much one of the last of the old time, quality knifemakers in the US. Sadly though, they went out of business back in 2007.

That's a neat blade! Looks like there's probably some interesting stories behind all those dings and nicks.

Jagdflieger
April 19th, 2010, 09:53
The maker of the knife, the Camillis knife company, has been a provider of knives to the US Military for many years. A couple of my issued knives over the years were made by the company to include my parachutist's knife, combat knife, Mk-1 divers knife and my old survival knife from VN.

I'm sorry to hear that they went out of business. I've used or carried one form or other of the Camillis almost daily for more years than I care to remember.

tonybones2112
April 19th, 2010, 19:21
My cousin showed me this knife today. It was my uncles, apparently, but don't recall ever seeing it before.

Am hoping some USN vet on here will shed some light on it, and the age?

On one side, is engraved USS Hunt DD-674; and on the flip side, my uncle's name.

I just found this:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/boatswains-splicer-knife-or-boat-knife-2

NC

Chief, I'm holding one of these knives as I write. As pointed out by our comrades here, this is a mariner's knife most commonly used in New England and is made for work with nets, ropes, and sails, but the handles were originally black bakelite, your knife has been rehandled, a relatively easy task, most likely for durability. Bakelite is very brittle.

Tony Bones

tonybones2112
April 19th, 2010, 20:08
The maker of the knife, the Camillis knife company, has been a provider of knives to the US Military for many years. A couple of my issued knives over the years were made by the company to include my parachutist's knife, combat knife, Mk-1 divers knife and my old survival knife from VN.

I'm sorry to hear that they went out of business. I've used or carried one form or other of the Camillis almost daily for more years than I care to remember.

A friend bequeathed me his K-Bar he had at Khe San where he said they all unsheathed their K-Bars and dug them into the ground next to them, waiting for the last charge. Buck had a habit I guess is cathartic and not written about much these days since we get razor blades and computer desks from Vietnam now: Buck took heads and fingers. He told me to rehandle it in Sambar stag, I got one piece left and hope to take it to The Wall sameday, he never made it, being an Agent Orange casualty.

My other two K-Bars came from bikers I disarmed in the bar, and I bought a nice 1960s vintage Mk VII SEAL knife wrapped in cosmoline off some boob at the flea market didn't know what he had.

Bones

deKoven
April 20th, 2010, 04:53
Hmm, I used one of those for several years back in the '70's. Was working as a net mender/maker for a Pac Coast fishing boat. One I had was sharp, stayed sharp and lasted for years; don't know who was the maker but that knife was one of the best 'built' knives I've ever had. Came with a lanyard which was used to hang the knife around me neck. Lousy lanyard, good knife. I cut the old lanyard off and braided me a new one out of seine twine.

:applause: