PDA

View Full Version : If I could bottle it ....

Ken Stallings
April 18th, 2010, 15:17
If I could bottle this and sell it, I'd be a billionare!

Today I took the C-310R on another Grace Flight mission from Portales to Abilene, TX and back to Portales (leg one for the passenger). Over half the first leg was flown in actual IMC. I got to log an actual IMC ILS approach to runway 35R at Abilene Regional (KABI). Best part is the ceilings were between 300 and 400 feet AGL!

Well, descending through the murk on localizer and glideslope, when I finally punched through to the bottom, the runway approach lights were dead ahead off the nose!

I guess it's like a baseball player hitting a home run, that's about the best comparison I can think of for a pilot. When you pull it off, it's one hell of a fine feeling!

Ken

jmig
April 18th, 2010, 16:02
Yes it is!!!

Well done Ken.

harleyman
April 18th, 2010, 18:19
Nicely done.......

cheezyflier
April 18th, 2010, 18:58
good for you man, it's nice when life throws you a victory :applause:

tigisfat
April 18th, 2010, 21:04
If I could bottle this and sell it, I'd be a billionare!

Today I took the C-310R on another Grace Flight mission from Portales to Abilene, TX and back to Portales (leg one for the passenger). Over half the first leg was flown in actual IMC. I got to log an actual IMC ILS approach to runway 35R at Abilene Regional (KABI). Best part is the ceilings were between 300 and 400 feet AGL!

Well, descending through the murk on localizer and glideslope, when I finally punched through to the bottom, the runway approach lights were dead ahead off the nose!

I guess it's like a baseball player hitting a home run, that's about the best comparison I can think of for a pilot. When you pull it off, it's one hell of a fine feeling!

Ken

great story, Ken. You're really taking me back. I still have property out there, and I did my instrument rating at KABI. The first ILS I've ever flown was the ILS 35R at KABI.

If you stopped, then I'm sure you stopped at Abilene Aero. There aren't a ton of airplanes out there, so chances are I've flown most of the airplanes on the ramp at one point or another through friends.

There are nights when it's been so slow that I've come into the area on 127.2 with Abilene Approach and been given my taxi clearance back to Abilene Aero without even having the gear down yet.

Snuffy
April 19th, 2010, 03:58
Congrats.

txnetcop
April 19th, 2010, 05:07
Ken you're making me jealous! LOL Excellent thread!
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Lionheart
April 19th, 2010, 10:55
Congrats Ken.

Man, you are really keeping busy on your flights. You're going to need an airlines logo on your plane soon.

You'll need to install some logo lights that light up your banner on your plane for those night landings.

Bill

Ken Stallings
April 19th, 2010, 14:18
great story, Ken. You're really taking me back. I still have property out there, and I did my instrument rating at KABI. The first ILS I've ever flown was the ILS 35R at KABI.

If you stopped, then I'm sure you stopped at Abilene Aero. There aren't a ton of airplanes out there, so chances are I've flown most of the airplanes on the ramp at one point or another through friends.

There are nights when it's been so slow that I've come into the area on 127.2 with Abilene Approach and been given my taxi clearance back to Abilene Aero without even having the gear down yet.

Yep, Abilene Aero is where we pick up our passengers.

On that Sunday, it was fairly busy. There was a jet in front on me on the ILS and then one behind me also.

Those red and white aircraft they rent looked like they haven't been flown in a while.

Ken

tigisfat
April 19th, 2010, 14:35
Yep, Abilene Aero is where we pick up our passengers.

On that Sunday, it was fairly busy. There was a jet in front on me on the ILS and then one behind me also.

Those red and white aircraft they rent looked like they haven't been flown in a while.

Ken

Sadly, those aircraft are constantly flown. The chief instructor and manager just doesn't care about the safety of his students or the quality of their training. It's pretty hard to get valuable instrument work done when the DG must be set every 30 seconds and the aircraft hasn't passed any kind of vor check in years.

Anyway,

can u tell us about some of your passengers?

Sundog
April 19th, 2010, 15:02
Hey, wtg Ken!

Ken Stallings
April 19th, 2010, 15:18
Sadly, those aircraft are constantly flown. The chief instructor and manager just doesn't care about the safety of his students or the quality of their training. It's pretty hard to get valuable instrument work done when the DG must be set every 30 seconds and the aircraft hasn't passed any kind of vor check in years.

Anyway,

can u tell us about some of your passengers?

I'd rather not to be honest. I would rather keep them totally in private. Suffice to say they suffer from serious enough medical issues to warrant specialized care at far flung locations from where they live.

Sorry to hear about the situation with those aircraft.

Cheers,

Ken

boxcar
April 20th, 2010, 03:50
...Well, descending through the murk on localizer and glideslope, when I finally punched through to the bottom, the runway approach lights were dead ahead off the nose!

Am remembering the 1st time I pulled that off successfully in FS. Great feeling,
& I can only imagine how fine that is feeling in real life. Good on you, Ken! :)