PDA

View Full Version : My first run..

Lionheart
April 18th, 2010, 13:58
Well, loaded up, put in Gramps suggested updates and then went through the Tutorial and then jumped on the Amtrack from DC to Carrolland (I think thats mis-spelled).

Several times I had shutdowns where the train stops, with alarms going off. I think it might be the W key, I was thinking that was 'Reverser Forward', but may be wrong.

A couple of questions;

* When I have a green dot on the mini-map window popup (that shows distances of mile marker signs and the coming up of a major terminal or station), do I need to slow down for the green dots?

* On that same mini map thing, can I zoom out or is that the locked in view distance?

* Is there a bigger map built into TS so that I can see the overall location of where I am at? (the big picture).

* When slowing down in an electric, (Amtrack), do I use brakes only or can I use the Reverser and use the motors to slow me down like in a Diesel Electric? The Amtrack engines have Pantographs.

* Is there scenery enhancements (like terrain tiles) for this?

I had a blast.. I have owned the game for several years but never really learned about it. The main thing that stopped me from enjoying it was that the train kept stopping, either from overspeeds or reasons I never found out.

Many thanks for any input on the questions above.

Bill

Gramps
April 18th, 2010, 16:07
Several times I had shutdowns where the train stops, with alarms going off. I think it might be the W key, I was thinking that was 'Reverser Forward', but may be wrong.

Hey Bill, You have to hit the reset button every few minutes. It's to keep the engineer awake,LOL. In real life (an the sim ) if ya don't hit it in time, you go into emergency stop. The z button is the one ya hit to reset. You can also turn it off in options.

A couple of questions;

* When I have a green dot on the mini-map window popup (that shows distances of mile marker signs and the coming up of a major terminal or station), do I need to slow down for the green dots?

The green dots ( yellow an red also ) are your signals. Just like in a car,,,,,,,,green is go, yellow is caution an red is stop

* On that same mini map thing, can I zoom out or is that the locked in view distance?

Nope!

* Is there a bigger map built into TS so that I can see the overall location of where I am at? (the big picture).

Nope again, but I sure wish there was!!

* When slowing down in an electric, (Amtrack), do I use brakes only or can I use the Reverser and use the motors to slow me down like in a Diesel Electric? The Amtrack engines have Pantographs.

Not sure on electrics. Diesels use the dynamic brakes, don't know if electrics have them or not. If it'll let ya use the reverser, I say do it,LOL!! Somebody else might jump in who knows more about lectric

* Is there scenery enhancements (like terrain tiles) for this?

It would have to be an update to the route itself. Unlike FS, the parts of the world that aren't in the route aren't there....................just a big white void. There's SEVERAL new routes over at train-sim, all free. Just have to look an see if ya find one ya like. Not sure if there's any updates for the stock USA1 (N E corridor) route or not. there was for the stock USA2 (marias pass), but not sure it's till up.

I had a blast.. I have owned the game for several years but never really learned about it. The main thing that stopped me from enjoying it was that the train kept stopping, either from overspeeds or reasons I never found out.

Turn the alerter off in options, or keep hittin the z button

Many thanks for any input on the questions above.

Bill

Lionheart
April 18th, 2010, 21:48
Thanks Gramps.

:ernae:

Bill

Gramps
April 19th, 2010, 13:10
No problem. :ernae:

I used to run with the alerter on, but I like to look around outside to much, an couldn't tell when I needed to reset it. I finally just turned it off in the options.

Lionheart
April 20th, 2010, 01:06
Well, tonight, I went in and tried doing a run from Philly to DC. First 4 times I derailed. 5th time, I made it almost all the way to Baltimore when I derailed. Couldnt believe it. I was being so careful. Always happens when I am out looking around and miss the overspeed alert.

However, the first 3 times was at a underpass/bridge, where no speed was stated lower. If you do not catch it, you derail no matter what. Great to get through there finally, and also pretty cool to learn how to switch tracks.

Fun sim...

Bill

Gramps
April 20th, 2010, 02:50
Yeah, it's a fun AND ADDICTIVE game,LOL.

On your F4 display, it has the speed limit at the top, your speed right below it. I use it alot, cause as ya found out...if ya get to far over the speed limit you're gonna come off the tracks,LOL.

The route you're runnin will be worse than mine. I run slow frieght trains...you're runnin high speed passengers. So while I might be able to "cheat" a bit, you're already goin purty fast, don't take much to finish ya off, lol.

Snuffy
April 20th, 2010, 03:07
Yeah, it's a fun AND ADDICTIVE game,LOL. ...

Until you try to build your own scenery .... :mixedsmi:

Gramps
April 20th, 2010, 16:27
That's not to bad when ya finally get the hang of it. It took me SEVERAL false starts to get goin tho,lol.

Demex really takes most of the work out of makin the terrain............the rest tho........................................ :isadizzy::isadizzy: