PDA

View Full Version : Informal Nostalgia Poll

tonybones2112
April 18th, 2010, 13:19
Here's one if you like nostalgia:

1. If you were around then, what were doing when you heard the news JFK was killed? I was watching a TV game show hosted by a guy named Tom Kennedy. My Dad, who was a Goldwater Republican who voted for Nixon in 1960 wept and said, "I knew that SOB Lyndon Johnson would have him killed..." As she went out the door that morning my mother stated, "He may never come back from that trip alive..."

2. How many of you saw Lee Harvey Oswald get shot live on TV?

Bones

Snuffy
April 18th, 2010, 13:24
1. I was sent home early from school ...

2. I saw the rest of it as it happened. Black and white tv.

HouseHobbit
April 18th, 2010, 14:23
Third grade, Patterson elem.. School..
We didn't get sent home right away..

They announced it on the school Pa system..
We were shocked..
Then came the TV coverage, yes black and White,
Hey we got 4 channels back then..

and No MTV..Or Golf channel.. (when did Golf become a "serious" sport anyway??)
Seems rather stupid to me..
LOL..

Anyway, saw Oswald get murdered too..
Again in shock..
It was a bad time for america then..

Didn't understand as a Child why these things were happening..
Still Don't understand Why..

brad kaste
April 18th, 2010, 14:39
...Walking to my public speaking class as a freshman in college, I noticed coeds crying listening to portable radios. At that time,....it hadn't been determined that JFK had been killed. Only that he had been shot. 40 minutes later Walter Conkrite broke the news. It was a very sad Thanksgiving that year,....1963.

harleyman
April 18th, 2010, 14:42
I was home from school sick...I was in the living room, on the floor, watching Sky King I think, when it was broken into and the announcement was told..I was in maybe the 3rd grade(unsure of that, maybe 4th)

It meant nothing to me, besides all 3 channels were airing that news and TV for me was over.

Mom called dad, and he came home and watched it for days it seemed

Crusader
April 18th, 2010, 14:57
I was in Biology class in the 10th grade when JFK was shot . They had a live radio news program on over the intercom then decided to lets us out of school . I was actually watching the original broadcast when Oswald was shot .

Rich

Bjoern
April 18th, 2010, 16:12
Neither. I can even barely remember 11/9/89 or 10/3/90. And I was in the vicinity.

Willy
April 18th, 2010, 16:17
I was in the 2nd grade at Bobier Elementary in Vista California when they announced his having been shot. A short while later they announced that he'd died and sent us home.

I don't remember if I saw Oswald get shot live or not.

andersel
April 18th, 2010, 16:49
I was in Ms. Goertzen's 4th grade class at Loma Vista elementary school in Palo Alto CA. When we were informed of the President's death the teacher "lost it" and the Principal sent all of us home early. My parents kept my sisters and I home for 2 or 3 more days. I guess they both kind of lost it too. LA

Navy Chief
April 18th, 2010, 17:23
I was, I think, in 5th grade at Spring Mill Elementary School in Indianapolis, when the assassination occurred. They sent everyone home early. My mom picked me up from school, instead of going home on the bus. I remember my mom was scared. She thought perhaps a war would start.....

And I was watching tv when Oswald was shot.

Oh, and I never believed the stuff about a conspiracy. I still believe it was just Lee Harvey Oswald.

BurningBeard
April 18th, 2010, 17:25
I believe I was in George Froome's Math Class (new math) in the 7th grade at Bidwell Junior High School in Red Bluff, CA.

I was home when Lee Harvey Oswald was shot, and watched it live on TV. And yes Snuffy the TV was Black and White.

Beard

glhorton
April 18th, 2010, 17:43
I was a sophomore at the University of Minnesota. Had been down in Dinky Town getting a haircut when we heard the news. I did see Lee Harvey Oswald get killed. Kennedy was the only president I have ever personally seen. It was rather a fluke, we were driving home of the University, which just happened to be on his motorcade route.....I didn't know it at the time. His car drove right past us slowly on a two lane street. We yelled 'Hey Jack' and he turned and waved to us. He could not have been more than ten feet away from me. After Dallas, it was amazing how they beefed up presidential security. What we experienced would never happen again. And as Panther said, it really was a sad day for the nation.

lifejogger
April 19th, 2010, 09:35
I was 14 years old and in a Mechanical Drawing class when someonce came in and whispered something in the teachers ear. He left then came back a few minutes later and told us the news. We were all shocked and not to sure what it was all about. They didn't dismiss school early but we didnt' have to come back to school untill after the funeral. I also remeber seeing Oswald get shot on Sunday morning.

Jagdflieger
April 19th, 2010, 09:46
I was in gym class playing baseball when Coach Olson came out and called us all together for the grim news. I still remember that it was a wonderful Indian summer day, but of course the news put an end to any joy from the weather or the baseball game.

I also remember watching the news (in black and white) when they showed Jack Ruby shoot Oswald. Seems like it was CBS with Walter Cronkite as that was my Dad's favorite news broadcast.

Terry
April 19th, 2010, 10:08
I see I was the only one at work, all the rest of you were slacking off in school! I saw a replay of the shooting. :bump:

b52bob
April 19th, 2010, 13:30
walking out of the BX at Blytheville AFB, Chaplain stopped me and asked if I had heard the news. Saw replay of Oswald

Roger
April 19th, 2010, 14:14
I was 11 and watching tv in the evening (UK time) with my Dad when the news broke. A lifelong Conservative, he was sad and then angry that such a thing should happen.

TARPSBird
April 19th, 2010, 14:35
I was in sophomore year of HS, home sick with a cold. The song "Dominique" by the Singing Nun was playing on WLS radio when they broke in and announced that JFK had been shot and seriously wounded. Turned on the TV and was watching when Walter Cronkite announced that he had died. On Sunday AM I walked into the living room just in time to see Oswald get shot by Jack Ruby. I don't think the US went through any worse shock and horror until the 9-11 attacks.

TeaSea
April 19th, 2010, 15:24
I do not remember either shooting, but I do remember watching the funeral with my mother. It was the first thing I ever remember watching on TV.

My mother says there is no way I could remember that....but I do.

My dad was at work that day, up in the mountains of Northern Georgia, training U.S. Army Rangers.

Last year we buried my dad in Arlington...and I couldn't help but remember watching the very similiar ceremony on TV.