PDA

View Full Version : Wired Network - Need help...

Keeper29
November 10th, 2008, 06:55
I bought my sons a new computer of their own for an early Christmas present and I want to be able to hook the two together so we can fly against each other.

Both computers are running Vista and I have the new machine hooked to mine via a wireless router. I would like to have the option of wiring the two together so that we could play head to head. I was sucsessfull in turning off the wireless network and having the computers recognize each other just once. (Naturally, the kids were out shopping with mom at the time.) Now I can't get the two computers to recognize each other on a wired set up.

Can someone please help a networking noob out?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

:isadizzy:

hey_moe
November 10th, 2008, 08:46
Are both computers using the same OS ? Also you should be able to go into the control panel under network and do a scan and get it to show up. Are you sure your router is set up right for this...Mike

Keeper29
November 10th, 2008, 15:33
Mike, both computers are running Vista. I have a linksys wireless router wired in between my PC and dsl modem. The kid's PC has a wireless card installed. I was told at BestBuy to connect the two PCs with an ethernet cable to play head to head in games. I have been successful only once and it's begining to really try my patience.

I'm in need of help. Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

hey_moe
November 10th, 2008, 15:52
Rob....Linksys has a toll free nuber that you can call there tech support and they walk ya through the whole set up step by step....I have used them a few times and they have great customer support....have you tried them yet >>>
Phone:
800-546-5797

How to reach a live person:
Step 1: Press 3
Step 2: Press 0 three times

Hours of Operation:
6 A.M. to 8 P.M. PST Monday through Friday
8 A.M. to 5 P.M. Saturday and Sunday

Email:
This information has not been added.
Click here (http://www.contacthelp.com/update_listing_modify_department.php?listing_dept= 284) to update this department.

Customer service link:
Click Here (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Content_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1114037291276&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=9127686492F04)

Keeper29
November 10th, 2008, 16:26
I just got off the phone with them. I have had better experiences from them in the past. The language barrier was too much to overcome this time.

Is there a way to simply connect the two PCs with an ethernet cable for game play temporarily? My network does what I what it to otherwise.

Rob

Ickie
November 10th, 2008, 17:16
if you both have internet
go to netwings flight sim server and fly

Ickie
November 10th, 2008, 17:18
or start game and do a search for other computer under multiplayer

hey_moe
November 11th, 2008, 09:06
About tme you done come out dat hole you been sleeping in:mixedsmi:
if you both have internet
go to netwings flight sim server and fly

Keeper29
November 12th, 2008, 05:57
Well what can I say? You got me..:costumes: I did say I was a noob at networking.

My sons are young (6 and 9). I want the learning process to be as fun for them as possible. Are there games set up for kids only? My fear is that seasoned pilots shooting them down in mere seconds will discourage them from wanting to learn to fly the sim. I'm trying to use this as a means to spark an interest in learning to fly a real aircraft. My 9yr old is saying that he wants to join the CAP when he turns 12. We'll see. Until then, I'd like to be able to fly against them in a contolled environment. Can you imagine the grin their faces the first time they get to yell "Hey Mom, I just shot down Dad!!"?

I appreciate your help. I'll keep trying to figure out what I did to get the set up to work that one time.

Thanks again,

Rob

Hooraw
February 25th, 2010, 13:43
Did you ever get this solved?

My sons are young (6 and 9). I want the learning process to be as fun for them as possible. Are there games set up for kids only? My fear is that seasoned pilots shooting them down in mere seconds will discourage them from wanting to learn to fly the sim. I'm trying to use this as a means to spark an interest in learning to fly a real aircraft. My 9yr old is saying that he wants to join the CAP when he turns 12. We'll see. Until then, I'd like to be able to fly against them in a contolled environment. Can you imagine the grin their faces the first time they get to yell "Hey Mom, I just shot down Dad!!"?

MaddogK
March 1st, 2010, 07:19
Yes there is a simply way to connect 2 computers together to play 'head to head' but running it thru your router would be preferable to a 'crossed' ethernet patch cable as you'll need to setup static IP addresses on both computers to use the cable, and that would most likely render your internet connection inoperable until you change the network settings back to dynamic. A 'null modem' cable also could work only if your games could be setup for a dial-up connection (serial)- but thats old school.